DNA confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomVapor

Unregistered Supplier
May 14, 2015
I am looking for a dna device with coil temperature control like the hana modz without shelling out $200+. I've seen some listed as dna 50 with temperature control, but info is confusing since evolv hasn't made a 50 watt. Some are suggesting temp control is on the board not the coil. Don't want to buy one just to find out which it is. Can someone recommend a less than $100 device with at least 40 watts and coil temperature control like the evolv chip with nickel wire coil?

Tokyosexwhale

May 12, 2015
Temperature Control is built into the device itself, it is a feature of the circuit board. You need nickel coils to use this feature, so it is a 2 part process to actually using temperature control, but if you're interested, you need a device with a board capable of temperature control first. For that price range, off the top of my head, you've got the P4Y IPV4, the Heatvape Invader Mini, and the Kangxin Vaporflask clone. They've all got pros and cons that would take too much to type out here, but there are several threads here on ECF about each.

Reactions: tehdarkaura

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Welcome to ECF :)

I have one of these which should meet your requirements at around $100 and it uses a genuine Evolv DNA 40 chip: http://www.vaportekusa.com/hcigar-dna-40-authentic-evolv/ I'm quite happy with it after about one month of daily use. Note this is the "updated version". Sign up for the email list on the above site to save a few bucks on your purchase.

Evolv at Evolv LLC - Shop Now makes the chip which is set to a max power level of 40 watts. The DNA 40s signature feature is properly referred to as tempature protection and requires the use of Nickel coil wire, often referred to as NI200 to use the temperature protection feature. It will also work with Kanthal builds but no TP.

HTH

:)

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I recommend the SX Mini M Class. It is a 60 Watt mod with temp protection and costs about $200. The SX Mini doesn't have a dna40 but it has a sx350J chip. They are really nice mods and I would buy one if I didn't buy a dna40 Vapor Flask last month.
op is trying to avoid spending $200. SX Mini M class is a great mod though, you're right about that!

hoosierhickvape

Jul 17, 2015
Middlebury, IN
20150717_085622.jpg
This is the newest from evolv. It's the DNA 200. If you’re a doityourselfer like me this may well be the route to take. The pdf that you download directly from evolv's website is very easily understood. I got this a little over a week ago. With me being a over the road truck driver, I haven't had much time to get it wired and mounted into a box yet. Planning to get er done this weekend though. Price on this is running around $80 plus the necessary parts associated. With everything said and done I'm still under $150. However that is mine. I'm thinking you should not have to spend more than $100 at the most. Keep in mind the batteries have to be rated for at least 23 amps. It requires 3 batteries to operate.

Reactions: Denvap0r

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
For around that price, the Snow Wolf mod would be a great buy!

Search Google for snow wolf 200w. As mentioned above, all devices have their pros and cons.

Sites vary on price from $100 to $130.

If this is your first dive into temp control, just remember that TC only works with Nickel coils (some support titanium). It is a game changer IMO and is different than Kanthal coils.

Reactions: suprtrkr

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I am looking for a DNA device with coil temperature control like the hana modz without shelling out $200+. I've seen some listed as DNA 50 with temperature control, but info is confusing since evolv hasn't made a 50 watt. Some are suggesting temp control is on the board not the coil. Don't want to buy one just to find out which it is. Can someone recommend a less than $100 device with at least 40 watts and coil temperature control like the evolv chip with nickel wire coil?

Three questions....

#1. Does it have to be a Evolv DNA chipset?
#2. How firm is the "under $100" price?
#3. What is more important to you, size or power?

1. I think the cheapest genuine Evolve DNA40 device you can get is the HCigar HB. You can find them for right around $100.
2. Under the $100 price point you're very limited on Evolv DNA40 devices and may have to look at other chipsets. If you're willing to go up to the $150 price range there are a lot more Evolv DNA40 devices to choose from.
3. You basically have a choice between small single battery mods or larger dual battery mods. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. Smaller is easier to carry, dual battery will last longer on a single charge. Which would you prefer?

It's hard to give a good recommendation without having a good idea of what you really want. I could throw out a couple of dozen possibilities, but it would be much faster and easier if you could provide a bit more specific information on what you want. Size, power, price range, chipset preference if any, charging method, etc... Every bit of information helps.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
For around that price, the Snow Wolf mod would be a great buy!

Search Google for snow wolf 200w. As mentioned above, all devices have their pros and cons.

Sites vary on price from $100 to $130.

If this is your first dive into temp control, just remember that TC only works with Nickel coils (some support titanium). It is a game changer IMO and is different than Kanthal coils.
I have a Snow Wolf. They're down to $100 online, and I love mine. The TC works as advertised. I do not, however, believe they use an actual Evolv DNA board. They have a different chip.

Reactions: MoDmAnDaN

jfb7

Jul 16, 2015
There are no 50W Evolv chips. If it says it is a 50W DNA it is a counterfeit.
The temperature control feature exists on the DNA 40 and the DNA 200. The board has to support the feature.

The DNA 40 will give you an accurate temperature readout if the coil is Nickel 200 (for instance on a Nautilus Mini, "Temperature-Sensing Coils" are this).
You can use it with other materials, of course, but the temperature will be based on what resistance it thinks Nickel 200 would have at that temperature.

The DNA 200 you can additionally choose other materials or combination of materials by setting up a profile in the software.
So the feature is "on the board" in the sense of support, but the coil has to be of a compatible material for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread