DNA 40 Chip with Temperature Control - CLONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Correct. The DNA30 and rDNA40 do not use the onboard buttons on the DNAxx board. There is another board that holds the buttons.

Not quite. jmarkus is correct that the DNA30 uses the onboard up/down buttons. I incorrectly assumed the rDNA did the same. Here is the DNA30:

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
Apparently, they did. There's pics of glitched clone boards.

Here's the link:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...dna-40-nr-nickel-builds-176.html#post15203385

Wow I really hoped that wouldn't be the case :facepalm:

I'm pretty well over the temp control thing, someone wrote way back it would be a passing fad, I was amazed that someone could say such a thing, and disappointed, because I really thought it was the way forward. But now I know different, in that, a good vape is a good vape whether you have temp protection or not. If you have a good vape, temp protection will not make it any better, but it will save you from dry hits, which is a great feature on a dripper, but not so useful on a rta. Its something that when perfected, would be great for beginning vapers, but at the moment its aimed at advanced vapers who probably need less protection from dry hits, ironic.

I'm also disappointed with Evolv's handling of the issues with their DNA40's. I looked at the pcb, a real hard look, some of it has been done with auto-route and they haven't bothered to dress it up afterwards, and the quality looks cheap. I was hoping the clone would blow the original away.

I also don't get how these design engineers can design something that supplies a lot of amperage at a very low voltage, and expect current 2014/2015 mod designs/build quality to handle it. Any minor resistance really upsets the apple cart.

It seems obvious to me (although I could be wrong) that these temp protection pcb's capable of driving super-low resistance coils are pushing so many amps the microcontroller gets starved of voltage causing a lot of issues. Its like they are venturing into really difficult territory and don't care if it doesn't work that well, because its the Next Big Thing and the vapers will buy it and put up with it anyway, which they do.

On top of that, all the regulated pcb's I've found are way overpriced for what they do and what is in them, the manufacturers ask for what the market will bear, and they get it, all of them.

I get the overall impression that experienced vapers are being taken advantage of with the temp protection scheme.

Last edited:

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Wow I really hoped that wouldn't be the case :facepalm:

I'm pretty well over the temp control thing, someone wrote way back it would be a passing fad, I was amazed that someone could say such a thing, and disappointed, because I really thought it was the way forward. But now I know different, in that, a good vape is a good vape whether you have temp protection or not. If you have a good vape, temp protection will not make it any better, but it will save you from dry hits, which is a great feature on a dripper, but not so useful on a rta. Its something that when perfected, would be great for beginning vapers, but at the moment its aimed at advanced vapers who probably need less protection from dry hits, ironic.

I'm also disappointed with Evolv's handling of the issues with their DNA40's. I looked at the pcb, a real hard look, some of it has been done with auto-route and they haven't bothered to dress it up afterwards, and the quality looks cheap. I was hoping the clone would blow the original away.

I also don't get how these design engineers can design something that supplies a lot of amperage at a very low voltage, and expect current 2014/2015 mod designs/build quality to handle it. Any minor resistance really upsets the apple cart.

It seems obvious to me (although I could be wrong) that these temp protection pcb's capable of driving super-low resistance coils are pushing so many amps the microcontroller gets starved of voltage causing a lot of issues. Its like they are venturing into really difficult territory and don't care if it doesn't work that well, because its the Next Big Thing and the vapers will buy it and put up with it anyway, which they do.

On top of that, all the regulated pcb's I've found are way overpriced for what they do and what is in them, the manufacturers ask for what the market will bear, and they get it, all of them.

I get the overall impression that experienced vapers are being taken advantage of with the temp protection scheme.

Speaking as an "experienced" vaper, I made the switch from tobacco smoking to vaping for a reduced-harm alternative. Regarding the probable importance of temp-protection in vaping, I posted this in another thread recently:

As for the topic of what temp-protection can do for you.. It may have more to do with our health and potentially harmful emissions than merely avoiding dry-hits. ;)

As posted before, Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos is conducting a vaping temperature study. The results more than likely will be eye-opening to many vapers. It could very well be that TP will be necessary to avoid potential health risks. We won't know until the study concludes.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/e-cigarette-research-temperature-of-evaporation

Continuing our commitment for unbiased research on e-cigarettes, we are now launching a new campaign for what we consider to be THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect in e-cigarette safety and future development: TEMPERATURE OF EVAPORATION.

Temperature evaluation is one of the most crucial factors in determining safety of e-cigarette use, and any improvements in this field will further reduce any small residual risk associated with e-cigarette use.

Temperature evaluation is one of the most important areas of research in e-cigarettes, since it is a major determinant in thermal decomposition of e-liquid ingredients.

•We believe that it is not just the peak temperature that matters but the integral of temperature over time of puff.

•It may be preferable to vape at higher wattage with shorter puff duration rather than take prolonged puffs at lower wattage levels.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I always thought the temp protection debate was premature because in reality nobody knows for sure what the effects of different vaping temps will be on long term health , it's complete heresay .

I do think, and it's just my opinion with zero proof at this point to back it up but i think vaping extreme wattages and sub ohm's builds will prove to be more harmful on health than people realize. It will be years before it's proven though.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I always thought the temp protection debate was premature because in reality nobody knows for sure what the effects of different vaping temps will be on long term health , it's complete heresay .

I do think, and it's just my opinion with zero proof at this point to back it up but i think vaping extreme wattages and sub ohm's builds will prove to be more harmful on health than people realize. It will be years before it's proven though.

I eagerly await Dr. Farsalinos study results.. I don't think it will be years off though. Much has been researched already. He will also be testing the effectiveness of temp-protected devices as they pertain to his study.

Many of you know that some new devices with the ability to control temperature of evaporation have ben developed. Two such devices have been announced. We have already obtained one of these devices, and we expect to get the other device soon.

We are going to test these devices, not only to see that temperature control is indeed a reality, but also (and most importantly) to see the levels of vapor production (which is a measure of satifaction for the vaper) and the effect of temperature control on aldehyde emissions to the vapor. The latter will show the true impact of temperature control on safety...

Folks who are interested should check out Dr. Farsalinos's site.... LOT's of great info there:

ecigarette-research.com

EDIT: Also, some interesting vids on his YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ecigaretteresearch/videos

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread