Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyT

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Auburn, Alabama, USA
www.freighttrainmods.com
So I have been previously successful at building a dna mod. On my second on I am having a wierd issue. I get everything wires up correctly and when I put in the battery the heat sink got so hot it melted hot glue! I disassembled to check that none of my solder connections have gotten messed and everything is fine. So I figure maybe I got a bad chip, so I tried another, with the same results. Had anyone had similar things happen/have any idea what may be wrong ?

-Sam

SammyT

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Auburn, Alabama, USA
www.freighttrainmods.com
Thanks, it's a wood mod. There is no way i have a short between the pos/neg terminals. My solder joints are seperate and strong. It seems as though there is a short within the chip. I am stumped. At this point after all the troubleshooting I have done I am pointing the fault at the chips... Unless someone else has an idea what is of course.

-Sam

d9mel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Spa City
just a shot in the dark, but it sounds like a issue with the board passing an excessive amount of current. I understand that the dna draws slight current at all times. The idea that this is happening with multiple board is kinda weird though.

have you remove all components and just left the battery soldered to rule out a component short?

good luck!

SammyT

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Auburn, Alabama, USA
www.freighttrainmods.com
Brandon at Evolv is sending replacements, now THAT is customer service! I tried to get it working again today to no avail. The battery works fine in all my other mods. I am not sure what caused the problem, but I am not wasting any more time trying to figure it out. I really don't think it was anything I did.

SammyT

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Auburn, Alabama, USA
www.freighttrainmods.com
just a shot in the dark, but it sounds like a issue with the board passing an excessive amount of current. I understand that the dna draws slight current at all times. The idea that this is happening with multiple board is kinda weird though.

have you remove all components and just left the battery soldered to rule out a component short?

good luck!
Ya know that sounds about right, overdrawing current. Because the battery stays nice and cool, and the DNA gets hotter than a ..... I've experienced a dead short with a battery and it does NOT stay cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread