Status
Not open for further replies.

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
I've had two faulty 40's and the third I have is "patchy" at best - and that's a "gold" edition.
I'd still take the genuine dna's over the Chinese versions - no guarantee - no sale.

For the shipping charges I paid out getting warranty work done I could of bought a clone box. Add the fact of the original price and I could of bought at least 4 clone boxes for what I had in the vapor sharks. Maybe it's just vapor shark making the dna 40 look bad?

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
They price themselves out of the mass market when the most affordable genuine DNA40 device ever just hit the market at $140, and the most affordable genuine DNA30 device ever just recently dipped to $99, and people wonder why the mass market turns to China.

How much is the SX Mini, 189.00 same as the rDNA 40. :lol:
And the as yet unavailable yihi with temp limiting?

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
They're shipping next month:

SXmini Box Mod - M Class -Temperature Limited

There was one in Vegas recently with the temp-protection confirmed as working and accurate using a $10,000 FLIR .. ;)

I've heard a lot about about the 350SX chip for a while now, before I had heard of TP...
I was still into sub ohms and high wattage... see my sig.
Just as the Raptor and Ranger became my weapons of choice along came DNA40TP and now these sit idle...
(I am done with thick wire and burn't juice for that matter)

I don't even know where or who makes Yihi chips but I am always looking for the best.
I have 3 DNA40 devices and would probably get in on the Yihi were it a good device.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
How much is the SX Mini, 189.00 same as the rDNA 40. :lol:
And the as yet unavailable yihi with temp limiting?

The SXmini was a limited edition device, and will no longer be offered after next month (will be replaced by the SXminiJ M Class). The device is what it is... The best quality, most accurate device to come out of China to date. There are quite a few reviews out now, and ALL of them have been good. Most rave about the quality, and concede that the device is worth the price of admission. Unless one actually puts an SXmini in their hand, vapes with it in it's 3 power modes, (4 if you count the bypass to straight battery) and experiences the vape, they have no idea what a great device they're missing out on.

Like I posted, the SXminiJ M Class was shown recently in Vegas.. The temp-protection was verified as working and accurate with a $10,000 FLIR. I've been following YiHi closely since last year, and predicted in a post that their boards may very well be game-changers in the wasteland of poor QC, inaccurate Chinese devices currently available. PBusardo's scope results only showed the device as being 0.2 of a volt off at the most. The charts showed pretty much dead-on accuracy. (which coincides with my testing using a SMOK Omnitester)

Add on a real-time battery voltage display which is dead-on accurate, resistance read accurately, NO lag time in firing, NO reduced power as the battery drains down to 3.3v actual resting voltage before cut-off, 5 memory pre-sets, and the ability to step down to 1.0v, and max-out at a real 9.5v on a single 18650... That equals a solid winner in my book, and that's not even going into the fantastic build quality. ;) Not to mention that the board can be upgraded via USB. :)

I've owned a few DNA 30 devices, and wouldn't trade my SXmini for all of them together.. I'm also a ProVape fan, and have placed my purchase of the P3 on the backburner since owning the SXmini.

top1422258711.jpg

Last edited:

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
Hey Technonut,

I was responding to one who said "They (Evolv) price themselves out of the mass market".
I was curious how since both devices are the same price. ;)

Anyway I'd agree that the SX Mini looks like a decent power control.
It also looks like a rip off of the early DNA boards and ZNA form factor, regardless I wish them well. We all win if mod makers are forced to up their game.

alistairs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2014
Castro Valley, CA, USA
I don't think the DNA30 was ever successfully cloned, just bits and pieces of its functionality copied into other mods with mixed results. I'm pretty much expecting the same of the DNA40 clones.

All I know is I spent around $400 on "low-cost" mods in the last year. I have stopped using all of them because they were either unsafe, inaccurate, unreliable, or unpredictable.

On the other hand I also spent $400 on two Vaporshark rDNAs (1x30 and 1x40) both of which work perfectly, every day, every time.

You can guess what I bought when I needed another mod last week.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I don't think the DNA30 was ever successfully cloned, just bits and pieces of its functionality copied into other mods with mixed results. I'm pretty much expecting the same of the DNA40 clones.

All I know is I spent around $400 on "low-cost" mods in the last year. I have stopped using all of them because they were either unsafe, inaccurate, unreliable, or unpredictable.

On the other hand I also spent $400 on two Vaporshark rDNAs (1x30 and 1x40) both of which work perfectly, every day, every time.

You can guess what I bought when I needed another mod last week.

Yup, it's the most disingenuous thing when people talk about price points when they know damn well they spend well more than the price they are talking about on their vaping gear. In the end people always want something for nothing and many are willing to compromise their morals for it. This is where the law should step in, but unfortunately the law has been eroded over the last generation or so, leading to the dismal state of the economy.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
Thanks for the consistent derailment of this thread dr g. Your tactics are one step short of bullying. I for one am hesitant to post here for that very reason.

People have a right to discuss whatever mod they want to, without continual bashing from anti-Chinese pro-Evolv viewpoints. One solid post is enough to make a point, you don't have to keep doing it every other page.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Wrap your head around the fact that Evolv's prices are perfectly fair. In fact they are likely more than fair when you look into the actual innovation they are responsible for, they don't charge much for that.

You simply don't understand or appreciate that flat out theft and terrible economic policies are responsible for the price differences. The reason people turn to China is because their labor has been directly pitted against China's near-slavery, and wages have been stagnant for a generation. This is a vicious cycle, and if it is not recognized and attacked, we will only spiral further downard.

I think Evolv's chips are priced fairly myself , it's the companies like Vaporshark that really stick it to you . A great review was posted on a popular review site a few months back on the VS rDNA 40 and it was very informative .

The actual enclosure was mediocre at best to the reviewer who also thought it was way overpriced for what it's made out of and overall build quality . Vaporshark's service prices are even more outrageous , around a 100.00 for a repair , $25.00 to just take a look at it before any repair is attempted , no thanks.

Some vendors are selling the authentic DNA 40 chip with a Hana type enclosure complete for a hair over $100.00 which is actually right around the price of what the reviewer thought it was worth.

There is a few people on E bay that are offering a Hana box with all parts included along with an authentic DNA 40 chip to build yourself and they are selling for around $76.00.

A hundred and ninety for an Rdna , thats nuts , it's a small plastic box with a rubber protective skin. The chip costs $60.00 remember.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I think Evolv's chips are priced fairly myself , it's the companies like Vaporshark that really stick it to you . A great review was posted on a popular review site a few months back on the VS rDNA 40 and it was very informative .

The actual enclosure was mediocre at best to the reviewer who also thought it was way overpriced for what it's made out of and overall build quality . Vaporshark's service prices are even more outrageous , around a 100.00 for a repair , $25.00 to just take a look at it before any repair is attempted , no thanks.

Some vendors are selling the authentic DNA 40 chip with a Hana type enclosure complete for a hair over $100.00 which is actually right around the price of what the reviewer thought it was worth.

There is a few people on E bay that are offering a Hana box with all parts included along with an authentic DNA 40 chip to build yourself and they are selling for around $76.00.

A hundred and ninety for an Rdna , thats nuts , it's a small plastic box with a rubber protective skin. The chip costs $60.00 remember.

And many of us here spent an average of $50.00+ each and every week for years on cardboard boxes, wrappers, and paper tubes with tobacco in them.. It gets better.. THEN, we threw the boxes and wrappers away after burning the paper tubes with tobacco in them to ash.. THAT's nuts.. ;) Wait, it gets even better than that.. We not only don't have a damn thing to show for it, we were also totally destroying our health, and paying for the privilege!

It's all relative..... ;)

Last edited:

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Long Beach, California
It (VS rDNA) is a substantial custom metal alloy box.
I guess you have never seen one, never held one, never used one.

I wish it was plastic, at least the paint will not rub off and will be lighter. Vapor Shark could really enhance their boxes using HiTech coating on the box. Nano paint. It's got to be available somewhere in this good old USA by now.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
I wish it was plastic, at least the paint will not rub off and will be lighter. Vapor Shark could really enhance their boxes using HiTech coating on the box. Nano paint. It's got to be available somewhere in this good old USA by now.

They've changed the coating to a rubberized coating. It still chips but both my rDNA40 and DNA30 have been pretty good. They're both in sharkskins though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread