Status
Not open for further replies.

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
Fanboys will be fanbaoys :facepalm: It's depressing that a company can do these things and people will defend them to the hilt, it's no wonder that CS is ignored by most companies because the consumer thinks that behavious this bad is good.

Haters will be haters :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
It is hard not to be a "fanboy" of a company that has pushed vaping industry forward as much as Evolv has, and is continuing to do so. They are pushing this tech out for our benefit, they could easily push out a 50 watt board, 6 months later a 100 watt board, 6 months after that a 150 watt board without any innovation and make money hand over fist, if all they cared about was bleeding us dry, but they don't. They are doing this with the future in mind, and to prepare for the FDA issues, which is probably forcing them to speed the process up faster than they would like.

They made mistakes, it happens, but from what I have seen, they are not ignoring people and are working to correct the mistakes. Also, not all of the problems were Evolv's boards, some were with the mods they were installed into. We are a month into this, they will right the ship soon.

Last edited:

Silver5656

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
to be fair though, a joy is the same price as a dna board. and ure rate of success says something about evolv's products for the initial release. I've read on every forum an issue with the dna40. And evolv knew about the issue pretty early on. I actually read of the glitch problem the day it was released, so evolv knew pretty early on. I understand it takes time for them to fix the issue, but even weeks after the release there are still bad boards. I am both a hater, and a fanboy. I like the product a lot, and I do believe it to be evolutionary, but there were several ways evolv could have handled the issue, but they decided to continue to ship out the bad boards. I am glad that they tested your new one before sending it out, and I hope that there are no issues with it.

This issue arises with almost every product. Fanboy vs Hater. The truth, is that it is the OP's opinion. There is nothing more, nothing less. If he is frustrated at the way evolv handled it, it's his opinion. And if someone has 3 bad boards, and think the company is great, that is also their opinion. Just because someone's opinion is different from yours, it does not mean it's ok to say that they are wrong. This isn't meant towards the op, or heespharm, but in general. I see this more and more on the forum. Someone has an issue/opinion, and others argue about it. Can't we all just get along

Silver5656

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
It is hard not to be a "fanboy" of a company that has pushed vaping industry forward as much as Evolv has, and is continuing to do so. They are pushing this tech out for our benefit, they could easily push out a 50 watt board, 6 months latter a 100 watt board, 6 months after that a 150 watt board without any innovation and make money hand over fist, if all they cared about was bleeding us dry, but they don't. They are doing this with the future in mind, and to prepare for the FDA issues, which is probably forcing them to speed the process up faster than they would like.

They made mistakes, it happens, but from what I have seen, they are not ignoring people and are working to correct the mistakes. Also, not all of the problems were Evolv's boards, some were with the MODS they were installed into. We are a month into this, they will right the ship soon.

This is the main reason why i like evolv, they are thinking more about the long term compared to other companies.

dougward1960

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
United States
Being a beta tester doesn't mean you are required to take your own time and teach the masses how to use whatever you were testing. What exactly is wrong with running them over 20 watts? I run my rDNA at 25 watts and it works fine. The beta testers had functioning boards, again, the problems with the DNA board were on the board, not in the programing, so how exactly would the beta testers know there would be future production issues?

I'm guessing we will see videos in time, I'm sure they are trying to perfect their techniques before they recommend what we should be doing. Many people here have been doing this for a month and still having quite figured it out. The people we look to for advice don't want to put information out there they haven't completely figured out themselves, or at the very least have a firm grip on it.

Evolv didn't knowingly send out faulty boards, I'm sure it is pretty crazy there right now, which isn't an excuse, but with so much going on the likelihood of mistakes is amplified. Evolv has been around for a while and is known for their quality, this isn't some new company with no history to base an opinion on. Mistakes happened, they will correct them and more than likely not make the same ones again.

well running over 20 watts is how you find out if you have a bad board so if it didnt show to the beta testers then what were they testing. no one said they had to teach us anything but being around to help would seem like they would but they arent here. i do believe evolve knowingly sent these boards out with glitches. we are only going to agree on one thing and that is we disagree

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
to be fair though, a joy is the same price as a dna board. and ure rate of success says something about evolv's products for the initial release. I've read on every forum an issue with the dna40. And evolv knew about the issue pretty early on. I actually read of the glitch problem the day it was released, so evolv knew pretty early on. I understand it takes time for them to fix the issue, but even weeks after the release there are still bad boards. I am both a hater, and a fanboy. I like the product a lot, and I do believe it to be evolutionary, but there were several ways evolv could have handled the issue, but they decided to continue to ship out the bad boards. I am glad that they tested your new one before sending it out, and I hope that there are no issues with it.

This issue arises with almost every product. Fanboy vs Hater. The truth, is that it is the OP's opinion. There is nothing more, nothing less. If he is frustrated at the way evolv handled it, it's his opinion. And if someone has 3 bad boards, and think the company is great, that is also their opinion. Just because someone's opinion is different from yours, it does not mean it's ok to say that they are wrong. This isn't meant towards the op, or heespharm, but in general. I see this more and more on the forum. Someone has an issue/opinion, and others argue about it. Can't we all just get along
I'm not a hater I'm a realist and with the fanboys attitude Evolv, and other companies, have no reason to improve their CS. I think what they are trying to do (keep us safe) is great and am all behind it, but when you balls up you don't keep shipping dodgy gear. You see on this forum countless posts about bad Chinese QC yet this is the biggest QC balls up I have seen and it's coming from a company with a good reputation that is supposed to be behind vapers, not a factory that is only there to make money.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
well running over 20 watts is how you find out if you have a bad board so if it didnt show to the beta testers then what were they testing. no one said they had to teach us anything but being around to help would seem like they would but they arent here. i do believe evolve knowingly sent these boards out with glitches. we are only going to agree on one thing and that is we disagree

Maybe an explanation from a beta tester will make it more clear, read Mamu's post here

dougward1960

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
United States
Maybe an explanation from a beta tester will make it more clear, read Mamu's post here

i read her rant against robert and her trying to justify why evolve sent out bad boards knowingly. when this issue came up it was before units were shipped they should of tested some randomly to try and make sure there wasnt any glitchy boards but as i said before evolve knew about the problem and shipped the bad boards anyways

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona

i read her rant against robert and her trying to justify why evolve sent out bad boards knowingly. when this issue came up it was before units were shipped they should of tested some randomly to try and make sure there wasnt any glitchy boards but as i said before evolve knew about the problem and shipped the bad boards anyways

Or.....maybe not.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
I'm apparently one of the lucky people that have received a perfectly functioning DNA 40. I won't get into the Evolv loving/bashing side of this but I just wanted to say that, IF you have a functioning board, and IF you have the ability to wrap and secure a proper Ni200 coil, this technology produces the finest vaping experience I have had in the five plus years I've been vaping.

dougward1960

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
United States
I'm apparently one of the lucky people that have received a perfectly functioning DNA 40. I won't get into the Evolv loving/bashing side of this but I just wanted to say that, IF you have a functioning board, and IF you have the ability to wrap and secure a proper Ni200 coil, this technology produces the finest vaping experience I have had in the five plus years I've been vaping.

i certainly wish my experience was the same as your but unfortunately its just the opposite with many more burnt hits than i even got as a noob

WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Houston, Texas

And this is exactly what I said in the beginning, I have one working DNA40 and it's an awesome vape once you get over the learning curve of Ni200 coil building my only beef with Evolv is their blatant lack of QC, by continuing to ship untested boards, my second DNA40 board will have to be RMA'd for the third time, and that should not happen to anyone period especially coming directly from the manufacturer.
Do I think Evolv is a evolutionary company? ...Yes
Do I think the DNA40 product? ... Yes

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
I would like a reassurance from Evolve or VS, that my working unit will be warrantied for board failure, beyond the 4 months VS gives.

Don't know your laws, but in the UK they can say what they like it makes no odds, we are covered under law. Worth finding out what your laws are, not just for vape gear but other things you buy.

KAS129

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Columbus, OH, USA
I will start this by saying up until now I have always been a fan of Evolv's products. I have built several mods using their boards and have found them to be trouble free.
When the DNA40 released I had several people ask me to build them mods using this board. I ordered parts and a couple boards for myself and built the first mod. Disappointing would be an understatement. Board 1 defective on power up. Immediate screen total garbage on first push of fire button. Board 2 worked great for about 1 1/2 days and just locked up. So now here I sit with parts for half a dozen mods. Sold remaining boards to another friend, refunded everybody's parts money and returned my boards to Evolv. So far 2 weeks in and no contact from Evolv. No e-mail nothing. I for one will not be putting these boards in anything I have to be responsible for servicing until they have established a better track record of reliability.
I really had high hopes for these boards. Maybe someday they will live up to the quality Evolv has been known for.

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
I don't know where you are reading all these so post, but from what I read not only on here but many other places, and from where I set it just the opposite if not equal.
Yes Ni200 can be an issue, but Ni200 is not causing this View attachment 391462 on 3 boards in a row or hundreds, even had I gotten good board the second time I'd still stick by my opinion that it's just not ready for mainstream production use.
Had it been a 1 in 1000 that's one thing but it's not I really don't know what the failure rate is, but it's much greater than 1 in 1000, unless myself and many others end up being that 1 in 1000 multiple times back to back, that's go and pull whatever is next on the shelf ship it out without testing it and hope for the best, that's not good customer service.

I have to agree... Yeah I've seen a few people say things like "Oh, well I've got 3 of them and they all work fine..." Well, that's great, but I've seen plenty of others who have been through board after board... One person getting 4 bad out of 5 is bad enough, but when you see multiple people having the same kind of issue it really does start to look like the number of bad ones out there is staggering...

What's worse is, there's no telling how many of these people with "3 of them and they all work fine" really have a board with the problem and don't even know it. In my case with my first board, I could run a kayfun on it at 12 or 15 watts all day long with no problem what so ever... But the moment I slapped something hitting 35 or 40 watts with TP the screen would go to crap almost immediately. Considering I've seen quite a few people discussing builds and how many of them are running low wattages, it isn't a leap of faith to think many of them may not even discover their issue until they decide to run something that sucks more power.

As for me, I was lucky enough that my second board was functioning perfectly. I've been wonderfully happy with it. I bought the second board though specifically to have while the first one was being RMAd. I sent that first faulty board to them well over 2 weeks ago. I still have no replacement, and I've sent a few emails to them asking about status, all of which have went unanswered. Even when I emailed them about the initial RMA it took them 2 days to respond to my email and when they finally did they ignored the questions I asked in it and simply attached an RMA form as a reply. It's great that they're taking care of it, but it's not in any way what I would consider stellar customer service. I bought something that was bad out of the box, which I then wasted my time installing, testing, etc... Follow that by spending an extra $10 to ship it back to them and now I've waited 2 weeks with absolutely no response from them at all. How is that good customer service? They don't even have a phone number to call... Only email... I honestly can't see how anyone can consider that great customer service.

The fact that you still received a bad board as a replacement this late in the game really doesn't speak much for them as a company. Especially when I've seen stated on this forum and many others that a fairly sure fire way to test for the glitch is to run a build at 40W in TP mode since that seems to generate the glitch VERY quickly.

I get it... Crap happens. They put the product out there and then discovered that there was a problem. Rather a design flaw, board manufacturing issue, whatever. It doesn't matter... But the point is, they discovered it. Yet where is there public statement? Where have they said, "Look, we apologize to those who have received a defected board... Here's what we're doing to make it right...." ??? At the very least they should be making sure all the replacements they send out are good, unless they STILL haven't figured out the problem and still don't understand what's going on themselves. Which is entirely possible. At the very least they should be offering to cover the return costs for the boards in my opinion...

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    They put the product out there and then discovered that there was a problem. Rather a design flaw, board manufacturing issue, whatever. It doesn't matter... But the point is, they discovered it. Yet where is there public statement? Where have they said, "Look, we apologize to those who have received a defected board... Here's what we're doing to make it right...." ???

I agree. I have a VS. Wondering if its got v1, v2 ,v3. So far it working correctly.(I think) No info from Evolve or VS has been put out explaining what the correct functioning should be. Which may explain some quirks I've had. I think VS should also come out and notify those who may have gotten a bad board.
    I'm sure there is no cost to VS for the new boards. Heck I'd even pay for shipping to get it, if I need it.
    VS is going to have a big sale. Do I get another for a gift? Probably not.
    Again, mine is working correctly so far, I think. I guess I'll have to run it at 40w, to be sure?

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    I know what the return rate is and while it's higher than previous DNA boards, it is nowhere near staggering. This is a brand new technology, several orders of magnitude more complex than previous models, so comparing it to simpler boards that do not do what the DNA40 does is invalid.

Always know that forums and groups are largely for asking others how to resolve issues, so you get a tremendously skewed view of the problem rate. With cheap Chinese chips people don't have an expectation of perfection or longevity, certainly not on the level Evolv has established, so many failures just get binned. We see how many dead clone Hanas go out the door for $5 at Elev8.

The current version of the boards as far as I have seen do not have the screen glitch issue. Evolv tests every board it ships.

There is significant cost to sellers with returns.

WeirdWillie

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 4, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    Evolv tests every board it ships.
    My experience working directly with Evolv, as well as others experience would certainly suggest the contrary.
    However it doesn't mean that they aren't now testing boards before shipping, but it's pretty evident that they were not up till now, I guess time will tell as the known defect rate continues to decline.
    I want it to be clear that I haven't given up on Evolv or the DNA40, Infact I believe the technology is the future of vaping, and I believe that with new technology comes growing pains, but with that being said it doesn't excuse the fact that Evolv did continue to ship untested boards as recently as last week.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread