Do ALL flavors need steep time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The only DIY made from concentrated flavors that I find are good without steeping are RY4 and Vanilla Bourbon. Of course there are a lot of flavor concentrates I haven't tried yet. I stay away from any custard, ice cream or butter flavors because of diacetyl or the substitutes used for it. Vendor juices taste differently over time and if I'm in a hurry like with Boba's or Dragon Leaf I quick steep them and get on with it. Even 30 ml bottles don't last long enough for me to have steeped them past 10 days.

J.R. Bob Dobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
near buffalo, NY
as a general rule no.

But you want to take the caps off for about a day once you get the flavors to let any alcohol used in the flavorings have time to evaporate. Any custom flavors or specialty flavors should be allowed time to steep.
by custom i mean just about anything that is not "tobacco, or x beverage, or x candy etc.." things with unique names are generally made to order and need steeped.

Beach Bum TX

Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
Irving, TX
I was thinking only complex flavors need time to mix well. Do simple flavors also improve with steeping?

I was wondering this too I didn't know about steeping two weeks ago lol... several of the flavors I got after I started vaping were pretty yucky when I got them so I put them aside... now two weeks later they are totally different and I like them. :vapor:

Spanner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
I vape the Extreme Ice from Mt. Baker as soon as I get it and it tastes the same as it does a week later. Not all flavors need to steep. Try it now and if you don't like it then let it sit for a few days.

I wouldn't say not all flavors, but not all mixes. Some places mix a full batch at a time that has been stepped (Halo for one), and sell from that batch. Other places will create a custom mix when it is ordered thereby needed to be stepped. The best thing is to read the website of where you are purchasing the liquid. If they don't mention that their blends need stepping, drop them an email and inquire. Most places will get back to you with a rapid response.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Good question kimmisc!
Some vendor juices have steep time built in and taste good right out of the mail box, and many just get better and better in a week or two. I try them right away, and continue trying each day to experience the steeping process :p
Some take a month till the flavors become melded and truly delicious!
Some DIY juices are immediately vapable, yet continue to get stronger if allowed to steep (when a person has the patience for it LOL)
I sometimes transfer liquids to a small 5 ml bottle when I get vapemail (as well as my DIY). I let it sit on the shelf a few weeks and then compare the steeped version to the original. It's interesting!
Try different ways. As you experiment you'll see what I mean :)

Report back and let us know what your opinion is, over time!

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
I wouldn't say not all flavors, but not all mixes. Some places mix a full batch at a time that has been stepped (Halo for one), and sell from that batch. Other places will create a custom mix when it is ordered thereby needed to be stepped. The best thing is to read the website of where you are purchasing the liquid. If they don't mention that their blends need stepping, drop them an email and inquire. Most places will get back to you with a rapid response.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

For the most part I agree with you. But all of the juice from Mt. Baker is mixed when ordered. I ordered Extreme Ice and received it two days later. I asked James if it needed steeping and he said "No". I think the more complex flavors that require multiple flavorings will need time for everything to mix well but some of the simpler flavors can be vaped out of the box, even when freshly mixed. But as always YMMV.

And Happy New Year to you as well my friend. :)

Lex Ave

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2012
Florida
I was originally vaping Straw-Melon Cooler, then during the holidays, Candy Cane became my FAVORITE vape. I really thought I was going to start sweating peppermint! LOL
Anyway, just last night, I want back to my Straw-Melon Cooler (that I didnt touch for probably 5 weeks) and maybe it was that I hadnt tasted it in a while. Maybe it WAS that it steeped. But let me just say, it was DELICIOUS!!!
Im soooo happy right now. :)

yardbyrd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2012
Carrollton, Georgia USA
:2c:

Check your e-liquid bottles for a date or "Born On" date. Then you'll know when they were made. My experience has been that, again, it is a matter of taste. Earlier tonight I came across some of my DIY that was just o.k when I mixed it. (Peanutbutter/waffle/whipped cream). It was about 5 months old and I was going to consign it to the weedkiller/bugspray bottle I keep so I don't waste e-liquid. That is until I direct dripped some of it. It was really good and vastly improved. I was very surprised.

I believe that tobacco e-liquids should always steep for a week, cap on, in a dark temperature controlled place like a closet or sock drawer. They also should be shaken daily so the mixture stays mixed.
BTW the last bottle of Tribecca I got from Halo was really good when it arrived. I steeped it for a week and for my tastes it was even better -smoother and even more blending of flavor.
So before you ditch a flavor you deem "ahhh...I guess it's o.k..." to oblivion try steeping it for a week; that's the way I handle any e-liquid that just doesn't suit my tastes.

kimmisc

Dec 25, 2012
South Carolina
Good question kimmisc!
Some vendor juices have steep time built in and taste good right out of the mail box, and many just get better and better in a week or two. I try them right away, and continue trying each day to experience the steeping process :p
Some take a month till the flavors become melded and truly delicious!
Some DIY juices are immediately vapable, yet continue to get stronger if allowed to steep (when a person has the patience for it LOL)
I sometimes transfer liquids to a small 5 ml bottle when I get vapemail (as well as my DIY). I let it sit on the shelf a few weeks and then compare the steeped version to the original. It's interesting!
Try different ways. As you experiment you'll see what I mean :)

Report back and let us know what your opinion is, over time!

Well, I've come to the conclusion that I will steep everything, for a week at the least. Every juice I've bought so far got better. The first juices I bought were menthol and vanilla from Hangsen. At first I found that vanilla disgusting and nothing resembling vanilla. Now 3 weeks later it is my favorite of the juices I have on hand, followed by the first menthol (Hangsen), and now Dragon's Nectar from ECBlends and Moo Juice from Mt Baker Vapor. I just got the Moo Juice today and I like it. I expect it will be absolutely delicious 2 weeks from now.

Azyre

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2012
Holiday, Florida
www.milieux.com
I got a few different coffee flavors from Mt. Baker, Vapedudes, and ECB and frankly, they tasted very bitter. I am hoping that they will improve with steeping so I'll try them again every couple days or so.

I'm new to vaping, so I haven't yet experienced a flavor change over time- curious to see how the flavors change.

Xylocaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I generally don't really steep my flavors right after I mix them, I'm just too lazy for that. I do notice some flavors improve over time but, I generally shake well and apply hot water baths to them right off the bat. I even use glass bottles which I place in boiling water, shake and put back in water to speed things up. As well as keeping the cap off for 5 minutes after that to let it properly oxidize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread