Do Bottom Coil Tanks in General Mute Flavor?... And Have a Metallic Aftertaste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
As convenient as BCCs are, they all suffer from reduced flavor... for whatever reason... I think it has to do with temp... maybe as the vapor cools, stuff happens and you taste less. :)

The solution there is more power to the coil... but, and I'm not sure about anyone else, but once I get past 9w, things go south fast.

I am going to test my theory... I am going to make a SS mesh coil for one of my evods, which should allow me to give it the ol' coals a bit. If my theory is valid, I should start getting better flavor... and I'll be recoiling my evods. :)

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
No, nobody will go blind. ;)

I use PGA to clean my coils and 91% Isopropyl alcohol to clean the threads. But many people use ISO to clean their coils--the trick is to let them dry completely, which allows all the bad stuff to evaporate. If you don't want to use alcohol, dissolve a denture cleaning tablet in water and soak your coils in the solution!

I wash all my clearos before first use--gets rid of any unwanted off tastes.

That was sort of an elevated warning about wood alcohol and needing to rinse it thoroughly :) I realize that what is left after the soak and dry isn't enough to make them have any problems, but you still want to rinse very well and dry it.

Aphro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN USA
Never had that metallic taste trouble with EVODs, but with ProTanks - definitely.
I found you HAVE to wash them - and in fact vodka soak didn't do it - SOAP was necessary to remove some kind of taste from it.
Don't use soap on the coil - but on the rest of the clearo. So maybe your EVOD's are like that and need a soapy-wash too?

Also, I've found Tribeca is best at slighly lower voltage than almost all my other juices! So don't be surprised, just start low and raise it 'til it vapes good. (actually lately I'm on VW, but still, I'll vape Tribeca at a lower setting, often 7 watts).

I couldn't really put my finger on the taste at 1st, but now I am pretty sure it is a plastic taste I am getting off the eVod. Hopefully that clears up after a good bath.

Used just plain hot water on the coil, Dawn and water on the rest.

1st impressions after mini Protank bath :thumbs: There was definitely some residue in the coil/wicks. I am getting much more flavor now and I can even hear the juice is flowing better :) There is still an ever so slight hint of metal (or maybe there is still some residue on the coil/wicks), but hopefully that will go away with a long hot water soak. Overall, the mini Protank is now performing how I was anticipating it would. Flavor is now just slightly muted compared to Triton, but I was expecting that with the cooler vapor :cool: I am also now getting more sweetness like the Triton.

I completely agree on the Tribeca... That's why I was so happy when I got my Triton VV Twist, I found it to be the best around 3.7-3.9 volts. After the bath, I have the Protank running 5.6-5.9 watts on the eVic.

Aphro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN USA
As convenient as BCCs are, they all suffer from reduced flavor... for whatever reason... I think it has to do with temp... maybe as the vapor cools, stuff happens and you taste less. :)

The solution there is more power to the coil... but, and I'm not sure about anyone else, but once I get past 9w, things go south fast.

I am going to test my theory... I am going to make a SS mesh coil for one of my evods, which should allow me to give it the ol' coals a bit. If my theory is valid, I should start getting better flavor... and I'll be recoiling my evods. :)

I haven't tested this yet, but I do have some 3.0-3.2 ohm coils for my Triton tanks for this very reason, but does running higher resistance coils with more volts vs lower resistance with less volts really make much of a difference with vapor/flavor? I mean in the end isn't the sweet spot for each juice still going to be around the same wattage? Or am I overlooking something crucial... besides draining your battery faster :blink::unsure::D

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I haven't tested this yet, but I do have some 3.0-3.2 ohm coils for my Triton tanks for this very reason, but does running higher resistance coils with more volts vs lower resistance with less volts really make much of a difference with vapor/flavor? I mean in the end isn't the sweet spot for each juice still going to be around the same wattage? Or am I overlooking something crucial... besides draining your battery faster :blink::unsure::D

I was using the 3ohm coils at a higher voltage on the Triton VV, but ran out once when they were out of stock, so used the standard 2.2-2.4 coils and reduced the voltage. I did notice slightly reduced vapor production, warmth and taste. Not significant, though. Thicker juices seemed to perform better at higher voltage than the standard coils can handle.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Yeah, it's all about wattage--the sweet spot.

That said, I prefer higher resistance atties on higher voltages--generally. Like you said, they don't drain batteries as fast as the LR atties do, even at the same wattage, and they are easier to work with, IMO. LR atties tend to be harsher, somehow--but that's just my observation. YMMV. :)

Aphro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN USA
So I just had a couple of shots of Vodka to take the edge off my nicotine high, (and yes, it is hard for me to share my Vodka with my tanks for cleaning purposes :))

Any of you older folks (like me) remember Gary Clail On-U Sound System - "The Emotional Hooligan"???

One of my all time favorite lyrics... "Like alcohol and nicotine... the sweetest lovers there's ever been... we could've had it all...". Been is pronounced bean in the song so it ryhmes with nicotine... for those who have no idea what song I am talking about... which is probably everyone :party:

2609e68c.jpg

Last edited:

Criticalmass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
No, nobody will go blind. ;)

I use PGA to clean my coils and 91% Isopropyl alcohol to clean the threads. But many people use ISO to clean their coils--the trick is to let them dry completely, which allows all the bad stuff to evaporate. If you don't want to use alcohol, dissolve a denture cleaning tablet in water and soak your coils in the solution!

I wash all my clearos before first use--gets rid of any unwanted off tastes.

Umm,

That works? The denture tablet? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread