Do not use nail polish remover to clean attys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Weatherford, Texas
In reality more atties are killed by cleaning than anything else.
I simply flood my atty (two or three extra drops), and blow any crud build up out the bottom of the atty. If I think the atty needs it I will let it soak in alcohol for a while and then blow it out. I might do that once a month or so. There is no need to let an atty sit and dry out. You will find that alcohol a common ingredient in e-liquid anyway so any residual will simply be absorbed by your juice. Also never store an atty dry, there is a reason that they come with a primer in them. So always put a couple of drops of juice in them if you plan on putting them away for a while.

I'm using atties that are well over a year old, both for direct dripping, and on my REO.

Regular rubbing alcohol?

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
In reality more atties are killed by cleaning than anything else.
I'm using atties that are well over a year old, both for direct dripping, and on my REO.

I agree, I don't clean my attys until I start thinking they might be about dead. my attys last me months. I use mostly clear or light colored liquids, I don't know if that matters.....

Dac311

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
Just remember if you wouldn't drink it, you don't want to vape it. Rubbing alcohol, chemical agents aren't good to use because you'll be inhaling this stuff regardless of how well you think you've cleaned it. Vodka leaves the smallest flavor imprint (or Everclear, if avalible) so that is why it is suggested so often.

But really, if you're spending 16-20 bucks on a however many bottles of juice a month does it make sense that you can't just buy another $5-6 atty at the same time?

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
No need to tell me. LOL Use to work I.T. in Hospitals and someone usually in the lab would clean something with Acetone and melt it. One time they used it on their access badge stuck it in the reader and it melted inside the reader. One of many weird events I saw in Hospitals. Like bodily fluids inside equipment. LOL

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Just remember if you wouldn't drink it, you don't want to vape it. Rubbing alcohol, chemical agents aren't good to use because you'll be inhaling this stuff regardless of how well you think you've cleaned it. Vodka leaves the smallest flavor imprint (or Everclear, if avalible) so that is why it is suggested so often.

But really, if you're spending 16-20 bucks on a however many bottles of juice a month does it make sense that you can't just buy another $5-6 atty at the same time?

I have to point out, vodka may not be welcome in all homes. Let's leave it at that.

We need to know what else works.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Regular rubbing alcohol?

Yes, no vodka in my house because I would forget all about the atomizers if there was.
    I use 90% rubbing alcohol, and then drip 6 or so drops of juice in the atty. I then blow that juice out, and Va-la ... no rubbing alcohol. Any residual alcohol simply become a solution with the juice I blow out.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, no vodka in my house because I would forget all about the atomizers if there was.
    I use 90% rubbing alcohol, and then drip 6 or so drops of juice in the atty. I then blow that juice out, and Va-la ... no rubbing alcohol. Any residual alcohol simply become a solution with the juice I blow out.

I used to be on the search for the perfect atty. I started off with a Joyetech eGo-T passthrough, using Stardust clearos. That worked awesome for about three weeks. Then the clearo crapped out on me and I panicked. I didn't know where to go or who to turn to. In a last ditch effort to help me, my coworker gave me one of his atomizers, Genuine joyetech low res atty. I don't think he knew what dripping really was, but he told me what to do.

Dripping kept me going, as much of an annoyance as it was.

But then, months later, I discovered carto tanks. Not cartos, exclusively, but dct tanks. Once I learned how to fill and use those suckers, I was in like Flynn. No more dripping, and 99% the same taste. Such a huge burden off my shoulders.

I could vape away. And I do, to this day. I'm a very, very, very happy vaper.

Jerms

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fargo
    I have to point out, vodka may not be welcome in all homes. Let's leave it at that.

We need to know what else works.

I don't keep drinking alcohol around, and use 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to clean my atties. Just be sure that the ONLY two ingredients in the rubbing alcohol is isopropyl, and distilled water. DON'T USE if it contains ANYTHING else, such as acetone. Iso evaporates and I don't use that atty again the day of cleaning.

I also agree on the importance of keeping your coil wet. Burned on juice is much harder to get off and if you keep it wet the wicking stays more absorbant. Eliquid or just plain pg or vg should be added after cleaning and blowing out, which you also blow out again before using. I also keep the atty sealed in a tiny ziplock or carto condoms. New atties that don't have primer in them can be kept dry until first use since the material was never wet to begin with.

Properly maintained atties rarely if ever need to be dry burned. Dry burn if necessary, not as part of the regular routine. I clean my atty after about 3 days of use depending on how quickly the juice builds up, which varies greatly depending on color, clarity, particulates, etc.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 13, 2012
    Columbia MD
    I soak my attys in Everclear overnight, then air-dry them and dry burn them. If they are particularly gunked up, I'll run them through the entire exercise again before using them...

The only drawback is that if they are painted or have some sort fo covering on the outside (like the black adhesive film some manufacturers use), the Everclear will damage such finished if exposed to it for too long (more than a few hours)...

Jerms

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fargo
    I did everything I was told to dry burn an atty and it ruined the atty.

Before you say, "User error", let it be known that I'm not a ..... and I did everything they said to do to a tee.

Dry burning anything (for me) never works. I always wonder what I'm doing wrong after I try a dry burn.

I'm not THAT stupid.

"They" say many different and opposing things when it comes to dry burning lol. I say to dry burn if necessary and not as part of a routine because it's ALWAYS a risk that the atty will blow. I have blown atties mainly by being too greedy (dry burning longer than necessary) but also occasionally one will just pop right away. Improperly maintained atties will become encrusted with buildup and the only way to remove that is to dry burn them, so it's either do that or toss the atty anyways. Properly maintained atties really can go a LONG time without build-up, and at most a quick dry burn will work.

Note: of course just talking about disposable atomizers, RBAs and clearos dry burn no prob and is a necessary part of maintainance.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Racehorse

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    DO NOT USE NAIL POLISH REMOVER!!! acetone ate my wife's finger prints off from being a nail tech for so long. I've seen it melt plastics! Its the last thing you'd want going into your lungs!

I know somebody who was cleaning something in a small bathroom with acetone...the water heater was in there, and it blew their house up.

Acetone is highly flammable and poisonous has no place in vaping. Ditto, WD 40, paint thinner, etc. :)

I don't dry burn anymore, seems to weaken the wick.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread