Do you feel bad when your friends fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagottawanna

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2011
USA
It could be as simple as it wasn't their time. A month ago wasn't my time. Three weeks ago wasn't my time. The other night I was off my rocker and ready to scrap the whole deal.

Now I think it "is" my time - but - that doesn't mean I can (or will) give up all cigs in the immediate future. Flavor could have easily been my total downfall - but - I got lucky and found some cherry that's working for now. Later? Tomorrow? Next week? Who knows. Right now I'm getting a major headache. I may choose not to vape again all day. I may choose to smoke cigs more than vape today. I may choose to take a nap. I may choose to use a pain med I have for a chronic condition.

But no matter what I choose, it MUST be on MY time frame - regardless of what others are doing.

You did your job. When they're ready - when it's their time - they may very well try it again. Take yourself out of the equation - it's not about you anymore.:)

hippiebrian

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Long Beach, Ca.
I stayed on the analogs for 3 years after a heart attack .. :( .. even though my cardiologist preached to me as well as family members, etc .. in fact, I lit a cig within minutes of leaving the Hospital ..

My mind finally got right and I believe that's what it takes .. you must be mentally ready to quit .. and, have a good e-cig at your disposal ..

I also smoked for about a year and a half after my heart attack, first one illegally on the hospital grounds on the way to my girlfriend's car. It's a tough addiction, and I didn't make it at first even with a p.v. It took time and, with the addition of snus for the full alkyloid fix, I have been free of cigs for over 6 months now. The seeds have been planted, give it time. The plants will either take or die out, but your job is done. Other than being there for them if they decide to try it again!

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
I don't feel any sense of personal failure for the first guy I converted that has gone back to smoking. Its entirely his choice to smoke or vape, not mine. I answered all his questions before he started and shared everything I thought was important for a new person to know without overloading him and let him know before he started and after he'd been vaping for a while that I was always available to answer any questions and help in any way I could. It was his own choice to ignor much of my advise and by doing so he set himself up for failure.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I'll totally agree with that. For me it was when the wife got preg with our second. I decided that if I wanted to be a grandfather someday that it was tome for the analogs to take a hike. Maybe it's just me wanting to be cool again. It was cool to start smoking 16 years ago, now it's cool to not smoke. Damnit I just want to be cool again!!!

As a grand dad, I would like to be around a while as well ..

Cool is a state of mind and does not require props .. smoking or not, all my nieces and nephews that are in their late teens and early 20's consider me the coolest dude they know .. and I'm pretty old ..

However, because I know who Lady Ga Ga, Ceelo Green, Katy Perry etc, are, and even can sing along with some of their songs, I get the cool vote .. my other relatives are always amazed ..

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
There are a surprising number of people I have found who just don't want to quit very badly if it inconveniences them in the slightest. Me personally I would be vaping if it tasted like cow crap as long as it got me off analogs. Another observation I've made is that older people are quicker to adopt ecigs. My explanation is that they see cancer and lung diseases on a short event horizon while the very young see it as some future event in their old age. Thinking cigarettes are going to kill you soon is a powerful reason to seek alternatives with more of an open mind. :laugh:

Death never scared me. It's the thought of living out my later years with an oxygen tank and tubes coming out of my nose. BTW I'm 54. I found out a couple years ago that my lungs are operating at 50% capacity. I've been vaping since then.

An addict will not give up the addiction until the misery it inflicts on him outweighs the pleasure he gets from the addiction. My misery was worry about breathing and weight gain when I try to quit smoking without vaping.

HTH,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread