Do you find 32 AWG wire just a liitle too thin to make good coils with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Double it, triple it, quadruple it, twist it, love it! Build most of my coils out of 32ga! Twisting it gives you more surface area to heat juice .

The thing is ... I only have 10 watts of power avail. If I double the thickness of the 32 AWG by twisting 2 of these wires together in order to make one thick wire, I think I am going to need a lot more than 10 watts of power to get it hot enough.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The thing is ... I only have 10 watts of power avail. If I double the thickness of the 32 AWG by twisting 2 of these wires together in order to make one thick wire, I think I am going to need a lot more than 10 watts of power to get it hot enough.

No; thickening it reduces the resistance, which just means you need less voltage to burn the same power.

10 watts is plenty for vaping purposes.
I vape alot in the 4 to 5 watt region. high vg.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Thanks ....

How much easier is it to work with a single strand of the thicker 30 guage vs the very thin 32 guage?

Here is what I plan on using:

Using 30 gauge wire to make a 2.0 ohm single coil = 9 wraps around a 2mm (5/64") drill rod

This 2.0 ohm coil being fed with 3.7v = 7.0 watts (and draws 1.9 amps)

Last edited:

Craig_B

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2013
Michigan
I really don't think its a lot different. The 30 is a little stiffer. You need to torch both to get the micro coils really tight. I am building RBAs now and haven't used single strand 32 but have a single strand 30ga quad coil I'm running right now. Had a twisted 30 dual I ran for a couple days. I used 32 single on my protanks.

vap_drifter

Feb 17, 2014
midwest
Twisted 32 is awesome. I use it for most of my builds. I would try two strands of 32 twisted, and do 10 wraps around a 20gauge needle. Then press the coils together so there touching. Next place the coil in tweezers to compress the coils lightly so there all touching and heat with a lighter or small torch till its red. Now place in a atty and use cotton as a wick. 10w will be plenty of power for this setup. This is a micro coil and it will heat from the inside out which pulls the juice to the hottest part of the coil like a little vacuum. Its very efficient even on low power like 10w.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread