Easy Way To Calculate Ohms or Wraps Needed For Alien / Clapton / Hive / Twisted Wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy some of the more exotic wires such as alien wire but can't work out what gauge to get if say I want a coil of 4 wraps and a resistance of 0.5 ohms. I want to get wire that has a balance between surface area, ramp up time and battery life usage and tend to vape at a maximum of 50w.

Most vendors won't give you the actual total combined gauge but will give you the resistance per meter such as:

Kanthal A1 Type Wire - "Alien Wire" - 0.3mm x 0.8mm Flat Wrapped With 0.2mm (32 AWG)
Measured Resistance - 6.60 ohms/m

Kanthal A1 Type Wire - "Hive Wire" - 0.25mm + 0.25mm (30 AWG + 30 AWG) x 2 - 8.70 ohms/m

I've been trying to work out how to input these into steam engine online coil calculator but can't figure it out.

Thanks

Last edited:

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
Well you could figure out how many wraps give what resistance at least. i.e. Kanthal A1 using just ribbon on steam engine with 0.3 x 0.8, with 6.6 resistance is 1092.4mm. 0.3 x 0.7331 with 6.6 ohms comes out to 1001.1mm. So a single 4 wrap would be ~0.4ohms. 5 wrap would give you 0.5ohms.

Generally the resistance is just the fat wire in the combo (close enough for me anyway, when making claptons). I assume ramp up would be the same; the core wire. It never really made me pay attention, so it can't be that different (or I didn't care enough). Twisted of the same gauge I just treat as dual coils and it comes out correct (divide a single resistance in half, close enough). The steam engine does have a Round twisted/parallel setting though.

Not sure how you could guesstimate surface area with out lengths of the individual wires. But its more :)

Reactions: ModBox

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
No problem. To fake it, i just changed the dimensions of the wire to hit your stated "Measured Resistance - 6.60 ohms/m". So "Dimensions of wire" to the "0.3" mm x "0.7331" mm is "Results" - "Resistance wire length" of 1.0011 meters for 6.6 ohms. Then you can mess with target resistance, inner diameter, etc like you normally would.

Reactions: ModBox
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread