The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Do you have kids?? What do they think?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Dirtybutts, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Dirtybutts

Dirtybutts Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 25, 2009
    West Point, New York
    Just wondering how many of you have children and what do they think about your pv? My son is to small to have an opinon on it but my daughter who is almost 7 thinks it is the best thing ever for me..(not in the sense that she wants to use one herself) she is just proud of me for not smoking real cigs anymore and tells everyone she can about my (space cig). I am also wondering if many of you use them around your children..I admit that I do but its not like I am blowing vapor in their faces or flaunting the behavior to them and I even cleared it with their pediatrician and he was thrilled at the thought of them no longer being exposed to second hand smoke..I never smoked around them but it stays on your clothes and skin. Anywho..just curious about the rest of you.

2. SimpleSins

SimpleSins Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2010
    SW Iowa
    My kids are grown and miles away. My non-smoking son is ambivalent...his first question was how long until I quit the PV, too. My daughter, another nonsmoker, on the other hand, thinks it's wonderful. She's always thrilled to hear about what flavors I'm playing with (loves the ideas of cake batter) and on hearing about a potential FDA ban, offered to get me an early Christmas present by helping me stock up on stuff. I can't be sure, but I think my dogs are happy about it, too. I should give them a real treat and vape bacon for a day.

3. 5cardstud

5cardstud ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2010
    Wash
    i have kids (grown) and grandkids and they all think it's pretty good that I'm no linger smoking and stinking up their world.
    PS I know I used the word and too many times.

4. nubee

nubee Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 24, 2009
    IL, USA
    Both of my sons (17 and 13) knew me from the start as a smoker.

Before they even hit the D.A.R.E. age, I let them know it was a bad habit and they should hound me anytime they saw me with one in my face - I did not smoke in the car or house.

So, when I had finally had it with analogs and started vaping, they were both thrilled and giving me the high 5's and asking all kinds of questions about it. I told them it was a step in the right direction and that over time, I'd hope to reduce the nic strength and eventually quit.

They still ask me how I'm doing, how long it's been and if I've "lowered" my strength or usage.

I do vape in the house but like you, try and keep the location and direction away from them. Other than a few flavors that smelled bad to them, neither of them notice I'm doing it. Only the dogs look at me funny when I get a good cloud going :D

5. kylewinther

kylewinther Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 26, 2009
    Los Angeles
    That is soo great to hear that kids who know about bad smoking habits support the use of electronic cigarettes over traditional cigarettes!

6. shanagan

shanagan Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2010
    Texas
    More positivity here - I have a 19, 17 and 13 yo, and each of them is just thrilled that my husband and I quit. The only one who shows a little too much interest is the 13yo - I do honestly think I have to watch her, because A) I think she'd be the one out of the three to try smoking, and B) she's a little too fascinated by the whole process. Additionally, when you hear Mom talking about how basically the nicotine is not much more harmful than caffeine - well, she's the one who will someday say "What, you let me drink Frappuccinos!"

I'm taking the same tack I take with alcohol - it's legal for adults, not kids, etc. But to be blunt, it feels hypocritical to say "don't do it even when you turn 18!" because aside from the addiction factor, I haven't been shown enough proof of nicotine harm to be too worried about it. BUT, I'm worried. make sense?

7. markmcs

markmcs Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    New York City, USA
    I didn't smoke near my 5 yr old (usually), but I do vape in front of him. He told me smoking is no good for me and 'claims' I said I would NEVER smoke again (which I probably did say, but don't want to remember!!)...Anyway, I showed him my ecig and explained it was a "fake" cigarette, so he's ok with it, but I still feel a little guilty using it in front of him. I would rather him not see me using anything at his age, but at least I don't send him back to his mom smelling like smoke, and I feel confident the vapor is not unhealthy for him.

8. Matodd

Matodd Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    West Virginia
    I totally get what you mean. I have 3 kids and they are pretty stoked that mom quit smoking. My 14 yr old however has asked to try it. I know that he has tried smoking I don't approve but I can't be with him 24/7 so I keep up the "smoking is bad for you it's illegal for you to smoke mantra". I feel a little less hypocritical now that I'm not smoking. Bottom line though it's our job to discourage them no matter what we put in our mouths. Nicotine can be harmful it constricts the blood vessels and can lead to high blood pressure. I'm 33 and have to take vasodilators everyday for high blood pressure because I've been smoking for the last 13 yrs. Keep up the good work. Our jobs aren't easy and congrats on your success.

9. shanagan

shanagan Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks, and to you too. You're right, though, it isn't easy, that's for sure.

10. harmony

harmony Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    I have four children, 17, 12, 7 and 3. The older three are so proud of me! I am proud of myself too. I never smoked in the house/car etc; but I do occasionally vape in the house. Not in their faces though.

11. AJMoore

AJMoore Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 15, 2009
    Here and back
    My daughter is more like this (above), ambivalent. The grandkids still come home from school with the anti-smoking message (I'm glad for that) so they think smoke is smoking, I'm gonna die.

12. brandon555

brandon555 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My 3 yo daughter doesn't really pay much attention to it... but she does call it a "soaker" which is funny because she means to say "smoker"

Once she asked me why I don't smoke the "white ones with the orange on them" anymore. At least she knows its not a cigarette.

13. Vidi

Vidi Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 25, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have a four month old daughter. But I also have two stepsons 14 and 10. They have been very encouraging although not at first. I am sure they thought I would smoke again. But seeing me only use the PV has got them very curious and very supportive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.