Do you plan to quit someday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Vapes

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2019
Don't think I'll ever go back to the nasty cigs...
Just smelling someone else that is a smoker makes my stomach turn & I wondered I guess I smelt like that too afew times & i never realized how awful it smells til I quit, & i don't miss my mouth tasting awful from smoking...
I jus' LOVE vaping & the cute devices I have 14 assorted devices from mods to pods to mod pods jus' for myself to enjoy or admire in my curio cabinet !!

I feel the same way but I know if I couldn’t vape I and cigarettes were available I would surly go back. Not happily though. Same way most methadone addicts would go back to heron if they were suddenly cut off.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thanks for sharing that telling non-sequitur. If vaping is supposed to be good for me, why is it so expensive and complicated? If kale is supposed to be good for me, why is it so expensive and hard to eat? Those are the words of a disempowered person who feels pressured to modify her behavior and is resentful about it. We see it time and again. People who have no qualms about spending hundreds of dollars a month on "sin" (or, more accurately, $10 every day or two) become tightwads when required to pay up front for virtue.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being a tightwad. Why not hit a sale or pick up last years model after people have had a chance to use their mods and determine which one is best?

I'm an incurable tightwad, and I spend far far less on vaping than I ever did smoking.. theres no requirement to spend the same amount on vaping that you did smoking..if there was we'd all be running around vaping Vicious Ant mods etc because that's about the only way to spend the same..

The ability to spend less is one of the biggest draws to vaping. It's not the mark of the disempowered but rather, the mark of someone who can now control the expenditure..

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I don't think there's anything wrong with being a tightwad. Why not hit a sale or pick up last years model after people have had a chance to use their mods and determine which one is best?

I'm an incurable tightwad, and I spend far far less on vaping than I ever did smoking.. theres no requirement to spend the same amount on vaping that you did smoking..if there was we'd all be running around vaping Vicious Ant mods etc because that's about the only way to spend the same..

The ability to spend less is one of the biggest draws to vaping. It's not the mark of the disempowered but rather, the mark of someone who can now control the expenditure..
You've taken me out of context. The point of my diatribe, and the one preceding it, was to point out the folly of newbie vapers who refuse to invest enough to ensure a satisfactory outcome.

Disempowered is meant in the sense that someone is being told what to do instead of making her own decisions.

As an RBA and DIY enthusiast my recurring costs are somewhere below $30/mo, so you're preaching to the converted.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
Thanks for sharing that telling non-sequitur. If vaping is supposed to be good for me, why is it so expensive and complicated? If kale is supposed to be good for me, why is it so expensive and hard to eat? Those are the words of a disempowered person who feels pressured to modify her behavior and is resentful about it. We see it time and again. People who have no qualms about spending hundreds of dollars a month on "sin" (or, more accurately, $10 every day or two) become tightwads when required to pay up front for virtue.
Generally I could tell within five minutes if a person was serious or not about making it work for them. And of course, there were those who thought throwing money at the situation would be their ticket to success. I used to say, a $200 first setup (which is not what I recommended off the bat, for the record) is not a guarantee one will stop smoking. There has to be will.

I sound far more judgmental about it here, and in retrospect, than I actually was while an employee there.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington

For some, the idea of spending $$$ upfront for something they’re not sure will work is ::NOT:: psychologically easier to digest than frittering away $7-10 every couple days or so on something they know they will “need” (cigs). But that is the logic of cigarette addiction, I suppose.

The bright spot to witness always was when a new vaper hit their “eureka! This might work!” moment and then they undertook their own investigations and research into self-empowerment. It was like watching baby birds leave the nest. :)

(I had to edit in the ::NOT:: because first cup of coffee.)

Last edited:

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
Ultimately this will all lead to adding vaping to the cigarette sin tax.
Factory sealed bottles of ejuice and sealed pods will be the only allowed to be sold.
Safer, but the tax hit will be significant. I hope I'm wrong on this but, Juul and all the other closed pod systems say a pod is equal to a pack of cigarettes. That would main a four pack of Juul pods would be taxed at the rate of four packs of cigarettes, putting the cost to us at about three times what it is now. With that as the starting point, a 10ml bottle of ejuice would be taxed at the equivalent of a carton on cigarettes.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
For some, the idea of spending $$$ upfront for something they’re not sure will work is ::NOT:: psychologically easier to digest than frittering away $7-10 every couple days or so on something they know they will “need” (cigs). But that is the logic of cigarette addiction, I suppose.

The bright spot to witness always was when a new vaper hit their “eureka! This might work!” moment and then they undertook their own investigations and research into self-empowerment. It was like watching baby birds leave the nest. :)

(I had to edit in the ::NOT:: because first cup of coffee.)

I can't judge anyone negatively though..

After trying every other method to quit smoking only to fail time and time again, stop smoking claims begin to feel like bottomless money pits designed to provide nothing in return..

When I first went to try vaping I had stop smoking aids ptsd.. lol. I was so sure that vaping was going to fail I refused to put any money towards it so I got a 10 dollar kit off eBay..

It worked though, but then my mindset was that vaping would be temporary, so I didn't upgrade after the initial success..

It wasn't until I quit vaping a year later only to find myself smoking cigarettes again that I finally started asking real questions about upgrading, but even then trying to wade through the plethora of choices seemed daunting and it was a while before I actually made the correct upgrade. (I actually ended up with an xcube 2 paired with a TFV4 in my first upgrade attempt and about died coughing.. lol.. which made me wary of trusting what was "good" to other people..)

It takes a while for some people to figure it all out, I was one of them..

I just think it's important not to judge people for their poor choices because most are likely doing the best they can in trying to figure it all out..

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington

After trying every other method to quit smoking only to fail time and time again, stop smoking claims begin to feel like bottomless money pits designed to provide nothing in return..

When I first went to try vaping I had stop smoking aids ptsd.. lol. I was so sure that vaping was going to fail I refused to put any money towards it so I got a 10 dollar kit off eBay..

It worked though, but then my mindset was that vaping would be temporary, so I didn't upgrade after the initial success..

It wasn't until I quit vaping a year later only to find myself smoking cigarettes again that I finally started asking real questions about upgrading, but even then trying to wade through the plethora of choices seemed daunting and it was a while before I actually made the correct upgrade. (I actually ended up with an xcube 2 paired with a TFV4 in my first upgrade attempt and about died coughing.. lol.. which made me wary of trusting what was "good" to other people..)

I just think it's important not to judge people for their poor choices because most are likely doing the best they can in trying to figure it all out..
I didn’t mean to seem judgmental. Again, in retrospect and discussing it here I can understand how I might sound that way. Having helped so many people over the years, I did begin to see patterns in behaviors. But each person is their own individual and I treated each person with the dignity of such.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada

Thanks for adding your perspective. I hadn't considered that some people might (understandably) approach vaping with less than full confidence due to every other cessation option they'd tried being a disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread