Do you plan to quit someday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I once quit smoking for a year and a half using the gum and Wellbutrin. Then one fine winter day...out of the blue, I was on the foot of a mountain, hving enjoyed a fine day skiing. While enjoying a beer I saw someone light up a cig. It was my brand of choice, and I caught a whiff of the smoke from that freshly lit cig.

A year and half! and something clicked in my head, I really wanted one. I fought the urge, for a while, but halfway home there I was at the counter of a gas station,,,buying a pack:facepalm::facepalm:

It only took about two weeks before I was back to 2.5 packs a day, so yeah, I plan on keeping the vape close.:toast:

I've quit vaping and been 100% nic free a few times. When I feel I'm likely to smoke again, I head for the vape instead. Works for me.

phonedude

DIY Enthusiast
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2011
Kansas
I quit vaping about a month ago. I really didn't plan to. I had been vaping unflavored 0 nic juice for several years. One day I just decided why do i need this? I knew I would never smoke again. That of course was my original goal. I will always look at vaping and this forum fondly for helping me achieve my goal.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Generally I could tell within five minutes if a person was serious or not about making it work for them. And of course, there were those who thought throwing money at the situation would be their ticket to success. I used to say, a $200 first setup (which is not what I recommended off the bat, for the record) is not a guarantee one will stop smoking. There has to be will.

I sound far more judgmental about it here, and in retrospect, than I actually was while an employee there.

I would say that a new person to vaping hoping to stop smoking with vaping would do poorly with a $200 initial setup. They don't even know what they like or dislike, how much effort they're truly willing to put in, understand it's magic but takes some effort into staying away from cigarettes, and that preferences evolve as you do along. Even finding the right setup for the right juice can sometimes be a challenge. Spending a lot up front without feeling confident it will help is only a discouragement when they have to return again because that expensive setup just wasn't a good fit for them.

There are also folks who will do best with prefilled pod system who just don't want the bother or fuss and aren't dissuaded by the high price those pods bring. To me that's OK, as whatever gets you to stop smoking is the most important factor. The branching out and experimentation with new flavors can come later.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
Exactly, Eskie. That’s why I would never recommend a $200 setup off the bat.

What I would see often would be someone starting off tentatively with a pen kit, maybe a larger Kanger Subtank Mini kit later, and some would stop there and just replace it because for a lot of people it was a great device. But I also saw a lot of people struggling with several replacements of smaller kits from who knows where and had a lot of trouble with them. My goal was to show them their options after they’d gotten over the initial hump of not knowing if vaping would work for them because usually by then they’d be more open and curious about the kind of thing I used (box mod/subohm tank)

I still have a resentment for badly made, cheap, or confusing vape kits that touted themselves as being AIO or easy to use when the buttons would break, the tanks would leak, the coils were garbage, etc. I spent a fortune on those devices just so I’d be able to know first hand what their weaknesses were when inevitably one of my frustrated customers would come in wondering why their juice tasted like garbage or was all over their hands.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If I could be that 1 or 2 cigarette a day smoker, I might be.

That never seems to work out, although I am impressed with folks who can do it.

It doesn't shock me that a low level of smoking might not impact one's health THAT much although "they" (not quite sure who "they" are) say it does.

But, my dad (who also has a habit of some total BS) said one time that they did a study and smokers who smoked less than 10 cigs a day were overall healthier than those who smoked more. It makes sense in a way, I mean there are times the dose makes the poison.

However, I am also not capable of smoking like, ,10 cigs a day EITHER.

It also makes sense to me why if vaping is even ONLY 95 percent safer than smoking it's still AWESOME.

Anma

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I don't hate cigarettes. Maybe I did for a while when I first quit. To be honest I wish I could do what you do, just have a smoke once in a while. But I think one cig and I would be done for. By your definition I guess that means I'm still an addict, I'm OK with that.

If by "done for" you mean you think you'd be back to PAD smoking, I highly doubt it. Chances are you'd not like the first cig and then have little desire to smoke any more. If you did like it and went up to say many in a day, but still vaped, you'd likely prefer vaping and find not smoking (often) to be super easy.

Since my last post on this thread I actually did have a craving for a smoke. Had one, and then found it super easy to not have any more since I easily prefer vaping.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I stress smoke, but I haven't in forever actually. I kind of want to do it today and it is ONE half hour til I gotta get ready to go to Sierra Vista.

I will need gas. Plus air in my tires, probably. I NEVER get gas anymore, I drive like between 5--7 minutes a day, most days.

I'm kind of scared to take on the task of Going To Sierra Vista, I have not Driven There in a LONG time, but needs must and all that. LOL.

Anna

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
If by "done for" you mean you think you'd be back to PAD smoking, I highly doubt it. Chances are you'd not like the first cig and then have little desire to smoke any more. If you did like it and went up to say many in a day, but still vaped, you'd likely prefer vaping and find not smoking (often) to be super easy.

Since my last post on this thread I actually did have a craving for a smoke. Had one, and then found it super easy to not have any more since I easily prefer vaping.

Yeah. I think I could smoke one now and be glad to get back to vaping. Assuming I could vape that is. That's how if was in my last few days of smoking and just having one or two a day, it got to be a chore to smoke. Take a couple of drags and empty the rest out on the lawn. If vaping wasn't available for some reason I don't think I could stop at one or 4 or 11 for long. I might be able to hold the line at zero but one slip and it would be over. That's all guesswork though, I actually have no idea how much my brain and body have changed. There's a lot muscle memory there after 47 years of smoking.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
I wasn't actually planning to quit smoking when I first started vaping.
I just realized that I hadn't had a cigarette in weeks, and stopped thinking about it.
I still enjoy nicotine, and without the additional chemicals found in cigarette smoke, it's a relatively innocuous habit.
I suppose I might quit vaping some day, but I'm not going to plan on it.

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    so why I need to quit vape?
    As a supplier it's obvious that you don't see a reason to ;)

One day I just decided why do i need this? I knew I would never smoke again. That of course was my original goal.
    Yep, that's how it should/might work I believe :thumb:

Reactions: stols001

Pheric

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2016
    www.elegomall.com
    As a supplier it's obvious that you don't see a reason to ;)

Yep, that's how it should/might work I believe :thumb:

Lol, actually yes I have my bias, but for my personal reason, I love vape anyway, that's why I devote in vape industry. ;)

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    Btw, there is another PRO for vaping as a cessation for smoking.
    Especially for older people who smoked for decades and they decide to quit smoking cold turkey - that's very dangerous, in some cases it might be even lethal for them, cause their system is getting less mobile in terms of sudden changes and switching to vaping to keep delivering Nic. to the system in a much healthier way is very important.

Chrishello39

Moved On
    Oct 23, 2019
    • Deleted by Misty

Jewell

Sep 15, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    I smoked for 30- some years , quit smoking and switched to vaping in 2012, gradually lowered the nic level from 24 down to 6 and have no plans to quit. I’m afraid without vaping I would go back to smoking because I still occasionally get an urge when I smell someone smoking. I hope I’m able to manage the DIY !

Reactions: dreamvaper
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread