Do you think plastic mods are High End?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerodan

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2020
AZ
There's an upward trend in plastic mod manufacturing, with mods like the Delro selling for high end prices, and many 3D printed mods and parts being sold direct vs. being just prototypes.

3D prints are can be made from some industrial strength nylons these days. And delrin is a tough plastic that in some ways is akin to metal - it often is machined.

The market will bear what it will bear, but what do you think? Can plastic be High End, and if so, what makes it so?

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Probably whatever can be 3D printed with whatever plastic or whatever type material can ultimately meet anyone's demand of High End, depending of course what their definition of that is. IMO, such a device can be very sturdy and at least water resistant. But a disposable type of such a thing is #1 on my :censored: list.

Aerodan

ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2020
    AZ
    I've heard in shops, trading mods and following the market a bit, that the following are things that define "high end". It's seems like the same sort of stuff that goes into watches, or lighters or EDC type of goods?

* The process to make it is difficult or out of the hands of most folks.

* The design is unique or at least highly appealing.

* Function should be flawless, and if not, then considered quirky rather than annoying or broken. Like, Ferraris used to be.

* The materials are harder to work with, perhaps rarer in some ways (titanium, stainless steel, carbon fiber layup/machining), metal 3D printing.

* It feels good in the hand. So subjective this one - some like super light and consider materials and design that keeps things light "higher end", others consider weight (to a point) to have more quality.

* Artfulness and/or craftsperson hand made qualities.

* Cost is sort of a given, with that magic range maybe around... 300$?

I follow the logic that these are glorified flashlights - that said, man are there some high end flashlights! I have one that was a gift that was so much $ I'd never use it in a field or anything. Love to play with it though.

AD

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    There's another thing that makes products high end. And that is simply the price point and only making so many and keeping a tight constriction on who buys them. All the above things can be thrown out the window. Some high end consumers will buy junk if they are told that it's "high end". In other words, it's about status. For this market, you could sell them a mod made out of soft, European beeswax and they'd pay $300+ for it for the status aspect.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I typed "high end mods" into Googlebingduckhoo and found a site called "The High End Mod" forum. To get in, one must be referred and have a special password. So exclusivity as a marketing tool is important, no doubt. Is marketing everything?

Same thing with FB groups.

Perception of status = big $$$

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    Yeah, i can get behind a limited edition mod with serial numbers etched into the side. It's like buying a fine work of art, especially when the mod is designed beautifully or, when the mod introduces a new design. Look at the Billet Box. I had been clamoring for a mod that I could conceal in my closed fist, with a tank inside the body, for years before the BilletBox came out. Then it came out and I was enamored. They were serial numbered and they were beautiful to me. The price was too high for me to justify buying one. That's HIGH END in every sense of the word, to me. Functionally speaking, I can almost never talk myself into buying a high end mod because I know the "Low End" vapes just as well. It's when the high end mods are innovative that really gets me. lol. Like the BilletBox. Look at the mod market now though... After the high end mods come out, China blasts the market with copies that, for all intents and purposes, are just as beautiful, sometimes MORE beautiful than the mod that started that innovative design, and some of these lower priced mods inspired by expensive innovator mods, are built to last just as long too. All the "Pod" systems that incorporate the in-body tank. But, once the "magic" of the limited run is wiped away, the twinkle in our eyes dim. lol. We wind up saying to ourselves "wow, that stabwood mod for 60 bux is even prettier than the $400 stabwood that it copied.... but... I mean.. everyone can have that one" lol.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I'm not sure it can be answered based solely on the material. I've seen (and purchased) high and low end of numerous/various materials. Workmanship, overall build quality, and aesthetics are the determining factors for me.

If I think something's worth a price, I may pay it, regardless of material.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Personally I believe high end can only be identified in the eye of the beholder. For example if I found a simple elegant brushed metal single 21700 with a simple vw/vv chip that has a good fire and a fire button in my preferred location it would be worth more than any dna, dicodes, or stabwood to me.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    That ^^^^^^^^^ says it all.

The market will bear what it will bear, but what do you think? Can plastic be High End, and if so, what makes it so?
    People do pay some crazy prices for mods made with plastics. Sometimes the mfr only makes a low number of units. Also via FB groups. A good number of those sell out rather quickly. Does that make them high end? Or just rare? IDK :D

Some RBA's cost over $100. Does that make those high end?

There are a few ECF members I know of who buy mods costing well over $400 USD. Does that make those high end? I can't answer that.

So I think...... that puts us back to the previous post.

I've heard in shops, trading mods and following the market a bit, that the following are things that define "high end". It's seems like the same sort of stuff that goes into watches, or lighters or EDC type of goods?

* The process to make it is difficult or out of the hands of most folks.

* The design is unique or at least highly appealing.

* Function should be flawless, and if not, then considered quirky rather than annoying or broken. Like, Ferraris used to be.

* The materials are harder to work with, perhaps rarer in some ways (titanium, stainless steel, carbon fiber layup/machining), metal 3D printing.

* It feels good in the hand. So subjective this one - some like super light and consider materials and design that keeps things light "higher end", others consider weight (to a point) to have more quality.

* Artfulness and/or craftsperson hand made qualities.

* Cost is sort of a given, with that magic range maybe around... 300$?

I follow the logic that these are glorified flashlights - that said, man are there some high end flashlights! I have one that was a gift that was so much $ I'd never use it in a field or anything. Love to play with it though.

AD
    I've seen all that posted on the S. African vaping forum.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Food for thought...

For my money give me 15 Pico 75w at ~$20 a pop over any $300 mod.

Those 15 Pico's will very likely outlast the $300 mod. Plus I know I can drop a Pico multiple times and not have my heart skip any beats. Been there, done that. :D

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Food for thought...

For my money give me 15 Pico 75w at ~$20 a pop over any $300 mod.

Those 15 Pico's will very likely outlast the $300 mod. Plus I know I can drop a Pico multiple times and not have my heart skip any beats. Been there, done that. :D
    That's exactly how I feel about my CS120s.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    That's exactly how I feel about my CS120s.
    And why I have a bunch of Pico 75's.

A few Pico's have been flown across the living room several times by Carli's tail. And knocked off tables by cat. The Pico's still work fine. :lol: :lol:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I love and hate some cheap ones, and love and hate some expensive ones (none in both the "love" and "hate" categories). My love or hate never has anything to do with the cost, but instead, everything to do with all the other "stuff". Performance, looks, durability, comfort of use, etc..

Vaping has proven to be one of the more personal things I've had the pleasure to experience in this crazy lifetime, and I'm very appreciative of that fact. :)

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    And why I have a bunch of Pico 75's.

A few Pico's have been flown across the living room several times by Carli's tail. And knocked off tables by cat. The Pico's still work fine. :lol: :lol:

I've killed a few (Pico 75s), but have many more still in the tank. :D

Fred Durst wrote a song about me once (I think). ;)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

JMO of course.

But part of How I Define "High End" is in Materials Used, Fit n' Finish, Looks and Feel.

You can put a Top-of-the-Line Board/Components into a Plastic Enclosure and it might Hit just as well as the Same Board in Machined piece of 6AL4V or Stabilized Wood. But does Look and Feel the Same?

Plastics just Doesn't give me a Quality Feel when I hold them in my Hand. And Plastic look like, well, Plastic. So for me, No, I Don't think I would consider a Plastic Mod to be High End.

That Isn't to say that a 3D Printed Mod can't be a Dependable and a Great Performer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread