The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Do your pets "talk" to you?

Discussion in 'Pet Lovers' started by mischief, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. nubee

nubee Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 24, 2009
    IL, USA
    Too much!! I get tired being "told" it's time for dinner or snack. I don't mind the "I gotta go now!!" but being hassled at 5:55pm every day is a bit over the top.

:D

2. Eekaa Chu

Eekaa Chu Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Texas USA
    My dog cheeto talks. I swear he has this growl/whine thing he does and it sounds exactly like he is saying mama. My weinie dog has this funny bark kind of like a "Roo!" but when you tell him to do something that he doesn't want to and he makes that sound, it sounds like he is saying "No!" too funny.

3. Kevin Freeheart

Kevin Freeheart Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Live Free Or Die
    My cat Misty talks to me, but I think she generally only has one meow which means "I am unhappy". She purrs when she's happy.

She usually relies on non-verbal to tell me WHY she's unhappy. "Rarr" and turning around means she wants food. If she scratches the floor or at the door, she wants to go out.

My chickens (Willow and Cordie) talk, but not to me. They just make noise. I think they're birdbrains.

4. NCC

NCC Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    I'm a cat person, who presently doesn't have a cat :(. Mine have always been vocal, and YES they've had different 'words' and were very expressive.

My Mother has an old dog (about 15 years), part spaniel, overweight. The poor girl's days are counted. But, whenever I enter Mom's house, her dog will get up and bark to me for perhaps 10-15 seconds. Then, she's done and will go lay down and be quiet. That tickles my Mom, she says I'm the only person who gets that reaction from her dog.

5. asti

asti Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 14, 2010
    TX. USA
    Oh my Yes, they all communicate very well!
    all 25 of them... 2 chickens; Laverne and Shirley will come to the door and peck at it to get a treat, also respond back to me when I talk to them.
    5 rabbits - these are fairly quiet, however they do stamp their feet,, or fling a toy depending on mood, if I haven't petted or scratched quite right, they will huff and snort.
    15 dogs, in and out - all sing for me to A) get outside and run them B) get their slop on C) she's home!
    The smaller dogs seem to have the better vocabulary around here; beagles have all sorts of commentary, none of it worthy of repeating <what, where...you see that? RUN!!!!>
    We have the normal, have to go potty NOW Mis, get up or clean it up .... your choice!
    I really WOULD like a cookie, thank you!
    and did you see my brother get into the catfood?
    I would like to take a ride in the car today, have anywhere to go?

they talk all the time, one just has to listen.... :)

6. lion6255

lion6255 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Central Virginia
    You are so very right Asti..I believe the animals all speak to us all the time some just don't take the time to listen carefully to their special language

7. blue8091

blue8091 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2011
    Vape Town
    Absolutely! My shih-tzu Loki is very laid back and peaceful - unless someone knocks on the door. (He is also convinced that any person that comes through the door is specifically there because they want his squirrel as much as he does!). When he really wants my attention - he will start with this ever so slight noise - just like a mutter under your breath - and he increases slightly in volume until he is heard - but never gets to the level of a bark - if that makes sense. This normally goes on in the middle of the night when he's hopped off the bed and the bed, being way high off the ground - he wants back up! He has zero issues with waking me up from a dead sleep. Of course sometimes I just lay there waiting to hear him go from level 1 to 7 - because it's so funny!

He also has his "I've had enough of you on the computer and I'm putting my foot down" rebukes. If he could he'd bury this thing in the backyard - good riddance!! It severely infringes on play time and belly rubs. After a long day of work - Under the desk there's a pile of toys and last but not least -my tennis shoes or walking flip flops..lol.

Nice to find a pet lovers forum here on ECF!! Looking forward to getting to know all of you and your pets!

8. hairball

hairball ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2010
    Other Places
    Out of 6 small dogs and 5 cats, yes they all talk. Especially the little guy, no longer little, in my avatar. He yaps nonstop. I have a rat terrier that "smiles" when she wants something but is generally pretty quite. The others, well, I think the dead could get woke up.

9. miss_kitty

miss_kitty Full Member Verified Member

May 23, 2011
    Michigan
    I just have my lil girl. She's a rat terrier and my baby. She was about 5wks when she came home with me and we've had a bond ever since. She is my shadow. She would say I love you at one point. And she's sang along to the guitar when I've played. But the thing I've noticed now, she can spell. I spell out or potty and she like whips her head to look at me. Like yes ma I've gotta do that! She knows when I'm upset, then she really won't budge from my side. She has to sleep on the bed, in the covers (which is where she is now). When I ask her questions, any random ones she looks at me quizzically and then decides if it's yes by licking me or no by looking away. She's a bright lil thing alright. :)

10. Sundrinkr

Sundrinkr Alis volat propriis Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 29, 2011
    Behind the Rainbow
    LOL Miss Kitty. I had a doberman that learned saying the letters O U T meant the same things as saying the word "out". I also had a cat that would answer me as long as I talked to her in "kitty tone." More meaningful, she would actually meow "mama" to me sometimes.

11. sportyfortyeight

sportyfortyeight Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 15, 2011
    dfw,texas,usa
    Me and the ol lady have two cats and we know what they want or don't by the meows. Jax does talk to him self it seems tho.

12. Chickadee

Chickadee Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Alberta,Canada. ;o)
    Yep my Havanese fur kids sure do try to communicate with me.i think they think that i can understand what they want which i do.They have trained me well.:)

13. tpoulton

tpoulton Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I have 4 cats and one of them is named Abner. Is is a character and TALKS. He talks and yells at his cat toys alot. He says "on no, come here, ot oh" and then jibbers some other weird things. He also brushes his teeth every morning with a hair brush that is his that I lay on the floor. We had a cook out in our back yard and someone was smoking the ole Mary Jane cigs (if you get it) and he ate three roaches, out of the ash tray when no one was looking, and was the life of the party. Truly one of a kind animal.

14. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Sadie, see my avatar, does not 'talk' to me (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!). OTOH, she lets me know when she needs to go out, needs food or water, or anything else. In the end I think I'm very well trained and probably wouldn't have it any other way :toast: !

15. Bwilly

Bwilly Senior Member ECF Veteran

I have 2 cats. One is very vocal. The other day I kicked her out of my room and she was mad ( she always lets us know when she is mad ). Anyway when I told her she had to leave she meowed all the way out of the room. It was too funny it was like she was yelling at me and telling me exactly how she felt about being booted out of my room.

16. Shadow102

Shadow102 Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2011
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Diesel, my rotti, not only talks to me, but he'll straight argue with me. Even when he loses he has to grumble his disappointment with me as skulks off to lay down on his bed again.

17. MissEdie

MissEdie Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Toledo,Ohio
    My Cat.jpg
    Oh MY! Mine just won't quit talking!

18. kabonk

kabonk Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 1, 2010
    NW Detroit Burbs
    OMG my cat doesn't shut up he quite a chatty little thing

19. jespeak

jespeak Senior Member ECF Veteran

Each one of my cats has their own distinct voice. My favourite one is the "purring-needing-turning around-getting settled-for sleep"!:thumbs:

My dog sometime mimics the cats, and we all get a laugh out of that one! So pleased this forum is available. Thanks mischief for starting this.

Cheers and Happy Vaping!:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.