• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Do your pets "talk" to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Freeheart

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Live Free Or Die
My cat Misty talks to me, but I think she generally only has one meow which means "I am unhappy". She purrs when she's happy.

She usually relies on non-verbal to tell me WHY she's unhappy. "Rarr" and turning around means she wants food. If she scratches the floor or at the door, she wants to go out.

My chickens (Willow and Cordie) talk, but not to me. They just make noise. I think they're birdbrains.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I'm a cat person, who presently doesn't have a cat :(. Mine have always been vocal, and YES they've had different 'words' and were very expressive.

My Mother has an old dog (about 15 years), part spaniel, overweight. The poor girl's days are counted. But, whenever I enter Mom's house, her dog will get up and bark to me for perhaps 10-15 seconds. Then, she's done and will go lay down and be quiet. That tickles my Mom, she says I'm the only person who gets that reaction from her dog.

Last edited:

asti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2010
TX. USA
Oh my Yes, they all communicate very well!
all 25 of them... 2 chickens; Laverne and Shirley will come to the door and peck at it to get a treat, also respond back to me when I talk to them.
5 rabbits - these are fairly quiet, however they do stamp their feet,, or fling a toy depending on mood, if I haven't petted or scratched quite right, they will huff and snort.
15 dogs, in and out - all sing for me to A) get outside and run them B) get their slop on C) she's home!
The smaller dogs seem to have the better vocabulary around here; beagles have all sorts of commentary, none of it worthy of repeating <what, where...you see that? RUN!!!!>
We have the normal, have to go potty NOW Mis, get up or clean it up .... your choice!
I really WOULD like a cookie, thank you!
and did you see my brother get into the catfood?
I would like to take a ride in the car today, have anywhere to go?

they talk all the time, one just has to listen.... :)

blue8091

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2011
Vape Town
Absolutely! My shih-tzu Loki is very laid back and peaceful - unless someone knocks on the door. (He is also convinced that any person that comes through the door is specifically there because they want his squirrel as much as he does!). When he really wants my attention - he will start with this ever so slight noise - just like a mutter under your breath - and he increases slightly in volume until he is heard - but never gets to the level of a bark - if that makes sense. This normally goes on in the middle of the night when he's hopped off the bed and the bed, being way high off the ground - he wants back up! He has zero issues with waking me up from a dead sleep. Of course sometimes I just lay there waiting to hear him go from level 1 to 7 - because it's so funny!

He also has his "I've had enough of you on the computer and I'm putting my foot down" rebukes. If he could he'd bury this thing in the backyard - good riddance!! It severely infringes on play time and belly rubs. After a long day of work - Under the desk there's a pile of toys and last but not least -my tennis shoes or walking flip flops..lol.

Nice to find a pet lovers forum here on ECF!! Looking forward to getting to know all of you and your pets!

miss_kitty

Verified Member
May 23, 2011
Michigan
I just have my lil girl. She's a rat terrier and my baby. She was about 5wks when she came home with me and we've had a bond ever since. She is my shadow. She would say I love you at one point. And she's sang along to the guitar when I've played. But the thing I've noticed now, she can spell. I spell out or potty and she like whips her head to look at me. Like yes ma I've gotta do that! She knows when I'm upset, then she really won't budge from my side. She has to sleep on the bed, in the covers (which is where she is now). When I ask her questions, any random ones she looks at me quizzically and then decides if it's yes by licking me or no by looking away. She's a bright lil thing alright. :)

tpoulton

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
Rochester, NY
I have 4 cats and one of them is named Abner. Is is a character and TALKS. He talks and yells at his cat toys alot. He says "on no, come here, ot oh" and then jibbers some other weird things. He also brushes his teeth every morning with a hair brush that is his that I lay on the floor. We had a cook out in our back yard and someone was smoking the ole Mary Jane cigs (if you get it) and he ate three roaches, out of the ash tray when no one was looking, and was the life of the party. Truly one of a kind animal.

Bwilly

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2012
Clinton Township Michigan
I have 2 cats. One is very vocal. The other day I kicked her out of my room and she was mad ( she always lets us know when she is mad ). Anyway when I told her she had to leave she meowed all the way out of the room. It was too funny it was like she was yelling at me and telling me exactly how she felt about being booted out of my room.

MissEdie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Toledo,Ohio
therewardmouse.com
My Cat.jpg
My cat has different vocalizations for many different things. No two are alike. Her "complaint" meow is very different from her chirrupping "that's good". She also has a cranky, "I dont' know whether to go to sleep or groom myself" meow. How about yours?

Oh MY! Mine just won't quit talking!

jespeak

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My cat has different vocalizations for many different things. No two are alike. Her "complaint" meow is very different from her chirrupping "that's good". She also has a cranky, "I dont' know whether to go to sleep or groom myself" meow. How about yours?

Each one of my cats has their own distinct voice. My favourite one is the "purring-needing-turning around-getting settled-for sleep"!:thumbs:

My dog sometime mimics the cats, and we all get a laugh out of that one! So pleased this forum is available. Thanks mischief for starting this.

Cheers and Happy Vaping!:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread