Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
This week I started vaping in the house (before that I was only doing it outside). The cat flees from me when I do this. At first I thought she was just scared (I didn't smoke indoors, either, so she's not used to me blowing clouds), but now I think it's a physiological reaction: She's started overgrooming, as some cats do when they have an allergy. Nothing else in our lives, as far as I am aware, has changed. She's eating the same food, sleeping on the same furniture, playing with the same toys, etc.

Has anyone heard about cats or other pets reacting negatively to vaping? If your pet did, what did you do about it?

I've opened the windows to air out the house and I'm thinking I may wash the cat and give her an antihistamine (her vet has cat-specific recommendations on the clinic website).

I might have to continue vaping outdoors. Fortunately for me, I've always enjoyed periodic breaks outdoors-- that was not something I disliked about smoking!

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
As far as I know and what I've read, the vape is not dangerous to your pet. Definitely don't let your pet get into you eliquid or any of your gear. Ingesting any of it could be very hazardous to them. Your cat is probably reacting to seeing the vapor. Since you've never smoked around it, it doesn't know what to think of it. Cats notoriously do not like change. This is another change for it and will get used to the vapor.

TampaToker69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Tampa, FL, Alpha Quadrant
My oldest cat, 16 years old, was freaked out at first and kept his distance. He always hated seeing me smoke out on the patio and would run back in the house. The first few months he stayed away, now he just peers at me with a strange look... He's back to snuggling with me while I vape in bed. He pushes my wife further away from me and he pushes himself closer to me... haha

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I used to smoke in the house and my little lap dogs hated it. Sometimes if they were sitting in my lap, they would scrunch up their face at me and leave. lol. Now they don't mind my vapor at all. When I first started vaping and they saw the vapor coming towards them, they started to scrunch up their face and then acted shocked it wasn't bad. LOL! After that they no longer are bothered and worried about it.

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
I thought PG wasn't good for cats. I kind of remember reading this a while back.

I try and keep a window open if I vape in the home office. But it gets more difficult cause the weather is starting to cool off and my wife complains of being freezing all the time. Yet in the bedroom it's a freaking meat locker and she doesn't mind at all, go figure.

I don't think my two dogs like it either as well as the cat. Try and keep things cool when they are around me with a crack of the window and slow setting on a fan.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Just remember, when cats get nervous, they clean themselves.
That's true, but this cat hasn't reacted this way when nervous. She usually just hides for that. This is the kind of behavior she exhibits when she's got an allergy.

Better to be safe than sorry :)
:thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread