The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Pets

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by madqatter, Sep 27, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. madqatter

madqatter Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    This week I started vaping in the house (before that I was only doing it outside). The cat flees from me when I do this. At first I thought she was just scared (I didn't smoke indoors, either, so she's not used to me blowing clouds), but now I think it's a physiological reaction: She's started overgrooming, as some cats do when they have an allergy. Nothing else in our lives, as far as I am aware, has changed. She's eating the same food, sleeping on the same furniture, playing with the same toys, etc.

Has anyone heard about cats or other pets reacting negatively to vaping? If your pet did, what did you do about it?

I've opened the windows to air out the house and I'm thinking I may wash the cat and give her an antihistamine (her vet has cat-specific recommendations on the clinic website).

I might have to continue vaping outdoors. Fortunately for me, I've always enjoyed periodic breaks outdoors-- that was not something I disliked about smoking!

2. DetraMental

DetraMental Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    United States
    I have cats and they are very curious about my vaping. They love the fruit vapes and come around sniffing, LoL. I know they are happy I no longer smoke around them and they show it by coming around me more.

3. Intervap

Intervap Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Port Huron, Mi
    My cats are not a fan of vaping. We never smoked in the apartment either so I just think its foreign to them and may just freak them out. My cats will lay on the couch behind me while I vape but I not come up on my lap. Never really thought much of it though since both cats were slightly antisocial to begin with.

4. Robino1

Robino1 Resting in Peace ECF Veteran

As far as I know and what I've read, the vape is not dangerous to your pet. Definitely don't let your pet get into you eliquid or any of your gear. Ingesting any of it could be very hazardous to them. Your cat is probably reacting to seeing the vapor. Since you've never smoked around it, it doesn't know what to think of it. Cats notoriously do not like change. This is another change for it and will get used to the vapor.

5. FlamingoTutu

FlamingoTutu Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 5, 2013
    In the Mountains
    I'm not joking, there is a catnip juice out there. Bet she doesn't run from that. You might not be able to get her out of your face but she probably won't run. :)

6. The Dingo

The Dingo Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 15, 2011
    North Carolina
    Could the fact that you opened your windows have made any minor reaction worse?

7. Recon Number 54

Recon Number 54 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    McKinney, TX
    It "might" also be the crackle/hiss of your rig vaporizing the juice.

One of my dogs perks up her ears and does that curious head-tilt every time I press the fire button.

8. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    I didn't open the windows until about an hour ago.

9. TampaToker69

TampaToker69 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

My oldest cat, 16 years old, was freaked out at first and kept his distance. He always hated seeing me smoke out on the patio and would run back in the house. The first few months he stayed away, now he just peers at me with a strange look... He's back to snuggling with me while I vape in bed. He pushes my wife further away from me and he pushes himself closer to me... haha

10. Gautama

Gautama Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 23, 2013
    Normal, IL
    My dog stayed away from me whenever I smoked. Now, he seems to actually enjoy the vapor that I blow out. Weird.

11. MiamiMom63

MiamiMom63 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2012
    South Florida
    I used to smoke in the house and my little lap dogs hated it. Sometimes if they were sitting in my lap, they would scrunch up their face at me and leave. lol. Now they don't mind my vapor at all. When I first started vaping and they saw the vapor coming towards them, they started to scrunch up their face and then acted shocked it wasn't bad. LOL! After that they no longer are bothered and worried about it.

12. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    So, no one else with the allergy-type symptoms?

13. DetraMental

DetraMental Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    United States
    No, no allergy symptoms with any of the cats.

14. nicetucu

nicetucu Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2013
    Salem, Oregon
    I thought PG wasn't good for cats. I kind of remember reading this a while back.

I try and keep a window open if I vape in the home office. But it gets more difficult cause the weather is starting to cool off and my wife complains of being freezing all the time. Yet in the bedroom it's a freaking meat locker and she doesn't mind at all, go figure.

I don't think my two dogs like it either as well as the cat. Try and keep things cool when they are around me with a crack of the window and slow setting on a fan.

15. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    You do have to be careful with PG and cats. Propylene Glycol is linked to Heinz body anemia in cats.

16. Robino1

Robino1 Resting in Peace ECF Veteran

Just remember, when cats get nervous, they clean themselves.

ETA: Have a talk with your vet about it. Better to be safe than sorry :)

17. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    That's true, but this cat hasn't reacted this way when nervous. She usually just hides for that. This is the kind of behavior she exhibits when she's got an allergy.

:thumbs:

18. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
  19. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    There's a reason why Propylene Glycol is not used in cat food. It's harmful to cats.

20. MiamiMom63

MiamiMom63 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2012
    South Florida
    If that's the case, maybe you can get some 100% VG juices for vaping inside and save the ones with PG for outside?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.