doctors and vapeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackie38

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2014
manchester uk
went to docs with breathlessness itold him i stopped smoking and started vapeing he then asked what mg i vape i said 24 he said i need to lower it anyway he sent me for a chest xray i think he thnks its high mg nic with the breathlessness i had the result pretty fast and doc never mentioned the vapeing but told me i had a shadow behind my left nipple ihave to go back again im crapping it now i wish i never went what do you think about why he never mentioned the vapeing as thats why i went

Teach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Florida
I switched 4 years ago and my Dr. doesn't say much, but then I don't have as many problems as I used to either. I think many physicians are worried about liability if they encourage vaping and no the risk if we don't stop smoking.

Sounds like it good you did go and get checked... I hope all turns out okay for you.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
ok NOT to worry just yet, and doctor I'd like to PINCH his head off (whenever you're alarmed or scared get a nurse to explain things ok?)

firstly if he said you had a nipple shadow, don't get all scared that it's a nodule or worse, w/o having a repeat chest xray done with nipple markers. Or did he say your xray had a nipple shadow? think back I know it scared you...sometimes if they're really prominent they'll be there and we have to redo xrays with markers to make sure it's just a nipple. Not a rad tech, but that's my take on it..

what further instructions were you given? if it's repeat xray, only, you can rest easy. In any event if it did catch something it's a blessing that they did. You need more info.

I would think that he might want a more definative test for starters, an Xray is very inconclusive it will only show shadow resolution of tissue (great for bones though). I'm not a Dr. but if it is in the area of your breast than Vapeing may not even be a factor. Don't get all shook though there are alot of tissue abnormalities, like cysts, or nodules that will show up as shadows. Xrays will show white cloudy areas that define Pneumonia,and that may be what he was looking for. I would say that you need a good check up and maybe a GYN appointment, just to ease your mind. :)

jackie38

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2014
manchester uk
ok NOT to worry just yet, and doctor I'd like to PINCH his head off (whenever you're alarmed or scared get a nurse to explain things ok?)

firstly if he said you had a nipple shadow, don't get all scared that it's a nodule or worse, w/o having a repeat chest xray done with nipple markers. Or did he say your xray had a nipple shadow? think back I know it scared you...sometimes if they're really prominent they'll be there and we have to redo xrays with markers to make sure it's just a nipple. Not a rad tech, but that's my take on it..

what further instructions were you given? if it's repeat xray, only, you can rest easy. In any event if it did catch something it's a blessing that they did. You need more info.

i have to have the markers if its the case of prominent nipple how come its only on the left side wouldnt it be on both

Since you had a recent dose of Radiation, they will only redo the one that showed the shadow. It may be that they will send you for a Mamogram of both sides so they can compare. Mamograms use very low doses of Radiation compared to Xrays. I have had multitudes of both and was even biopseyed on the left breast. Everything came out as Fibrocystic Breast Disease. So don't Panic. as I said there are alot of things that are not dangerous that will show up on an Xray! Take a deep breath and don't be tempted to think that something is wrong with you,90% of all Xray shadows turn out to be nothing to worry about! :thumb:

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
I once had an x-ray of my chest done because I was being exposed to chemicals that made me dizzy. The radiologist pointed out some little dots and suggested it could be a bronchitis / pneumonia that never healed completely. I had to use a medicine delivering pump (like for asthma) for 2 weeks and then it was gone. I could breathe a lot better too after that.

Doesn't really sound like the doc is blaming vaping, he just said you should lower your nic content, but that raises one question: What is he basing that on? experience with cigarettes or is he one of the non-existent docs that actually studied vaping and nicotine intake in university? I'm sure lowering the nic content of vaping is always a good idea, but there are no solid studies to help figure out what is the line on this subject.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
bunk all that stuff I'd be in CT.. if they freaked me out.

is he trying to rule out something? like pneumonia? the nipples on us older gals tend to be where the lower part of the lobes are and he just wants a more clear image more than likely.

I'll agree, chest xrays are just the first look, we've so much better diagnostic imaging these days.

hope it turns out ok. if your B/P was ok, he give you something for the breathlessness I hope?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Breathlessness from vaping has a lot more to do with high VG than with high nicotine. I can't vape anything with VG higher than 25%, and even that has been causing me some problems lately, so I'm going to 80/20 PG/VG. VG is very thick and it coats and narrows my asthmatic airways considerably, so that I can't breathe easily. PG is thin enough that my lungs can clear it before it ever becomes a problem.

Doctors always think they know everything about everything, but nicotine is not the Bad Guy that doctors think it is.

Andria

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
so its not the vapeing why the hell did he want me to have an xray he must not know anything about vapeing

Ok, let's get a few things straight here.

You had difficulty breathing so you went to see your Doctor. Why? Coz that's what you do... when you feel unwell

He asks about any possible causes for the breathlessness. Smoking being one of them. Why? Coz that's what you do... to try and narrow down the possible diagnosis.

He then sends you for a chest X-ray. Why? Coz that's what you do... when you are unable to diagnose a particular ailment and want to try and narrow down the cause further.

You tell him you vape and he asks what amount and on being told 24mg, advises you to try and cut down. Why? Coz that's what you do... when you're a doctor! lol It is possible to take in too much nicotine when you vape and that can have side effects.

When you see what happened in this order, do you now understand why he sent you for the X-ray?

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
From a medical POV, nicotine is an irritant so when combined with poor lung condition it can cause some issues to arise and thus the suggestion to lower the nicotine amount is not such a bad idea. That said, the amount of nicotine actually absorbed even at high levels in the liquid is minimal compared to tobacco. It is always best to reduce to a low level and still maintain the amount needed to refrain from tobacco use, there is no level a physician can recommend to provide the needed amount so it was only as suggestion, as all will prescribe on the side of safety and health first.

The dark spot seen on the film could be anything or nothing at all, but the Doctor is bound to tell you what he/she feels is best to do until they can make a clear diagnosis of the spot. Nicotine as mentioned can be ruled out for the Doctor by not using it, or in the amounts being used.....I hope this makes some sense for you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread