Doctors & Health Insurance Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsaveker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Manhattan, New York
I asked my doctor this question recently. She explained that even though I have not had a cigarette since 05 Jan 2010 I am still considered a smoker (on medical records) as in order to be considered a none smoker I would have to either

1) stop (cold turkey) for at least one month.
2) use NRT or similar for a reducing dose over a period of 3-6 weeks and then stop both NRT and cigs for a further month,

She said that if I am taking nicotine from NRT or e-cigs then I am still dependent and therefore a smoker.

In addition she said most insurers would only consider you a none smoker after 18-24 months of 0 nic consumption.

A bit dissapointing but understandable. I am happy just to not be chewing on the cancer sticks anymore :vapor:

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
I think the reason that they still consider you a smoker if you are on NRT is that they know 90% or more of people using an NRT will go back to smoking. They naturally assume that you'll be in that 90%, and for people using conventional NRTs they are right, most of them do go back to smoking. I think that once e-cigs have been around for a while things will change with the insurance companies and how they view us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread