Does flavoring go "bad"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banana Vap70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2014
AZ, USA
I was wondering what the consensus was for if flavoring goes bad?

I wouldn't think that most would, but what about "cream" type flavors? Things like Bavarian Cream, Sweet Cream things like that?

I ask because I have had mine a while and have made three different batches of a very light Bavarian Cream at 5% and a very light Coconut that had 3% Bavarian Cream in it and after steeping they have a weird smell. Not a spoiled or rotten smell, but a chemical smell. There was no nic used and I know that it's not the PG or VG and I tied them today. After my 1st attempt, I thought it was possibly a contaminated bottle so I tried again using two different bottles. Not the issue, because there the smell is again. The flavor itself smells fine.

I steeped using an UC for 3 hours the 1st time and 2 hours the 2nd time. Tested water temp ran between 140° and 160°. First time using the UC, so I think the only variables are the UC and the flavoring. Leaning toward the flavoring however when I smell the flavor itself it smells fine. Any ideas?

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
I have a few "factory" Lorann flavor bottles and they have an expiration date stamp of about 3 years from when I purchased them.
I am sure all flavors expire at some point but they likely could be usable beyond their intended life too, at the cost of unintended flavor degradation perhaps.

I have a ton of flavors so I figure I have about 3 years to decide which ones I will really keep using going forward.
I'll just let the ones I don't like/use expire and not buy any more of those particular flavors.

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
I don't know how valid it is but I read that the flavoring is what mostly degrades due to direct sunlight more so than the pg/vg base, hence amber bottles for e juice and essential oils, but if you don't like keep your juice on a window sill or on a shelf where the sun shines a few hours a day, it should be fine in any container, but also note that if it's not in glass, maybe the plastic has leached into the flavors over time. Or if you store it in a hot humid place.

Banana Vap70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2014
AZ, USA
Well there not but maybe a 1 to 1.5 years old if even that, depending how long they were at the vendor. I suppose I should try it, and see if it taste like it smells. I've had plenty of juice that didn't taste very good, but usually smelled okay, never the other way around. Wonder what the consequence of it getting to hot in the UC would be? I can't imagine it would result in what I have. Very odd, this is the 1st time that something like this has happened.

1vapeatatime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
Nevada
Well, I have some older flavors that I haven't used much because I didn't care for them, so if they go bad, then so be it. My better flavors don't really last long enough to go bad. I think PG and alcohol have preservative properties, and VG not as much, so I would say that VG based flavors may have a shorter shelf life.
I've been vapin' for 3 years, and DIYing for a little over a year and have NEVER had a juice or flavor long enough to go bad on me. But time and further experience will tell.
At the current prices of flavor it's really a non-issue to me, but this topic has me curious.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
Well there not but maybe a 1 to 1.5 years old if even that, depending how long they were at the vendor. I suppose I should try it, and see if it taste like it smells. I've had plenty of juice that didn't taste very good, but usually smelled okay, never the other way around. Wonder what the consequence of it getting to hot in the UC would be? I can't imagine it would result in what I have. Very odd, this is the 1st time that something like this has happened.

The Vapocalypse is not upon us, so when in doubt, throw it out.

I'd save the bottles though, assuming they are glass.

In my mind if I doubt it is as it should be, what am I holding on to it for? Flavoring and nicotine are pretty cheap still, and unless we are talking something on the order of 36mg/ml juice filling a 5 gallon bucket, you can buy fresh stuff and make a second batch.

Maybe just take a bit more care to preserve what you keep on hand.

I'm certainly no expert but I'd toss the juice if you don't feel right about it. It could be you mixed it funky, or any of a hundred other potential things.

Maurice

VapinWolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Grand Bay, Alabama USA
The bulk of my flavoring is over a year old. Most of the clear liquids are not clear anymore. The double chocolate clear actually looks like chocolate water?? LOL I will taste before using a flavor suspected of being 'bad'. If it tastes like it should, small batch it.

I understand flavor is cheap. I also understand money is tight.

VapinWolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Grand Bay, Alabama USA
It is a matter of necessity, budget this week has $0.00 available for vaping. $47. allocated for food. It is what it is. My DIY, which has to last for my week, tastes real peppery. Wife says it tastes fine to her. It is what it is..

Addition: vg based 100mg nic has turned slightly darker. Taste might be in my head, as there is not much up there to keep it out

;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VapinWolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Grand Bay, Alabama USA
A note guys. I wish I could make up a few batches and provide some feedback, but contrary to my signature banner, I have no backup devices or extra delivery devices. 2 T2's, 1 PT2mini, 1 PT2, 1 Kayfun clone, 1 AK41 dripper I just got from fasttech. I advise against that purchase for anyone.
Anyways I don't have easy means to taste samples so my DIY for the short future is limited to known vapeable juice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Your NIC turning darker is ozidazation. This will cause the taste to be a little harsher and may taste kinda peppery. It does not mean it went bad just that the taste may have changed and that is likely what your tasting as far as it being off. When you have a lot of NIC pour enough to last a few months into a small glass bottle and freeze the rest. This will preserve the NIC much longer.

As far as taste testing when you have a little extra cash an investment in a dripper or a few cheap 510 atomizers will go a long way. There easy to clean and reuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread