Does it hurt to leave it on the charger? Should you unplug before removal? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulsonlaw

Moved On
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I now have my A/C 901 chargers upright, to drain any possible fluid...

Does it hurt to leave them on after fully charged? :confused:
^^^ For longer batt and/or charger life^^^

Should I unplug the charger from the wall before I swap batts?:confused:
^^^ As the red/green light flickers when swapping ^^^
^^^ Also for longer batt and/or charger life^^^

Thanks in advance peeps! :laugh:

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
If you are concerned, I recommend disconnecting the battery and charger when you are done charging. Leaving the battery connected may be safe since the charger should detect if the battery is discharged. Finally, I do not think it is necessary to unplug the charger from the wall when swapping batteries... I have done this hundreds of times and never had any issues.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If the charger is doing what it is supposed to do, then No, it will not hurt anything. But if the charger malfunctions in some way then there could be problems.

I think the best rule of thumb is to charge no longer than you need to. Also, I would NEVER leave a battery charging when you go to sleep or when you leave the house.

See the thread below...

My husband has a Riva battery that won't hold much of a charge. We have 3 chargers from 3 Riva kits, so he also tried to charge it on the other chargers. Finally decided the battery was bad. He then put another Riva battery on the last charger he used, went outside, and this is what he found when our son was yelling that something was on fire (smoking) by his laptop:

DSCF7086.JPG

DSCF7088.JPG

I've told him over and over that he can't just leave batteries charging, but he worked on circuitry in the Air Force and he thinks I overreact. I use mod batteries and will only use my charger when I am sitting at my desk beside it.

So, if you are like him, please consider getting a LipoSack bag. I'm thinking that the bad battery damaged the charger, then the charger killed the next battery he put on it; so he's out 2 batteries, 1 charger, and he could have lost his laptop (and more if it wasn't discovered quickly).

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
When I bought my Riva 510 kit from Liberty Flights, I saw fine print on their site to attach the batt to charger before plugging into wall. I do the reverse when disconnecting, out of wall, then disconnect. Someone else confirmed this as good practice in another thread, but it could be Riva specific. I've hot swapped Joye 510 batts, no damage yet. I would not leave the house or go to bed while batts are charging.

For longer batt life, shallow charging batts may help. I offered this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/213844-battery-longevity-trick.html

Last edited:

JohnG1975

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Jacksonville FL
I have one of those 10 slot 510 chargers, and we leave our 510 Megas and eGos in the charger all the time. The drained batts go in, the light goes red, it charges and stays in the charger with a green light until it is selected for use again.

I am still using 2 of the original 4 510Mega manual batteries from my second hardware order almost a year ago. The black paint has completely worn off, but they hold a decent charge. We have since added 8 more megas, and they all are on charge if not in use.

I have not seen/smelled/sensed any problems from the charger. It "shuts off" each circuit when the batt has completed charging. I "know" this from the following test:

Unscrew a 510 Mega that has been sitting "on charge" for a few days from charger, screw it back in. It will trigger charging again, light on charger goes red, and several minutes later, it flashes back to green. This tells me it is not constantly charging. A freshly charged 510 Mega when put through the same steps will not trigger charger to "red" then "green".

This tells me the batts lose a slight amount of charge while sitting.

Just observations, not scientifically proven.

Thanks for reading!

JohnG

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
I would say that is one defective charger... I agree with you on your rule of thumb.

If the charger is doing what it is supposed to do, then No, it will not hurt anything. But if the charger malfunctions in some way then there could be problems.

I think the best rule of thumb is to charge no longer than you need to. Also, I would NEVER leave a battery charging when you go to sleep or when you leave the house.

See the thread below...

DaTank

Verified Member
Nov 12, 2011
United States
Ideally, no.

Realistically, it's probably not the best idea.

Most chargers will check the voltage of the battery and close the charging circuit allowing the battery to charge. It checks every few seconds, and each time if the voltage is low it's allowed to charge. When the charger sees the battery is at it's target voltage, it opens the circuit, and the battery is done.

The problem is, that it will continue to do this every few seconds while the battery is connected. The one I've played with does this by closing the circuit briefly to check the voltage. The danger is that the circuit being closed briefly adds a small charge to the battery each time the charger checks if the charger is cheap.

It's been a while since I pulled apart a charger, but the chargers were like this 4-5 years ago when I first got into e-cigs and got curious as to how it charged. I have no doubt that a high quality charger wouldn't have an issue with overcharging the battery or hurting the batteries by leaving them connected. It's a question of how confident you are in the build quality of the charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread