Does JUUL absorb nicotine to the body better or is Cigarettes simply does it better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Depends on the type of nicotine. Nicotine from cigarettes gets into the system very fast. Juul is formulated to be even faster. Freebase nic in typical ejuice is much slower. Here's a chart of measured nic in blood level - minutes on the x axis, mg of nic on the y. Juul benzoic acid nic salt formulation in red, cigarette in blue, and the bottom line is freebase nic in ejuice.

upload_2019-1-19_15-27-59.png

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Nicotine is absorbed much better through an e cig device. It's very poorly absorbable in a cigarette. That's why they load cigs with other chemicals. They combine nicotine with ammonia in a cig for better absorbtion.
I have received the opposite information. To complicate matters even more the nicotine in JUUL is mixed with benzoic acid to make a salt which makes the stuff fat soluble and changes the uptake behavior. There is a lot of conflicting and possibly false data as is common when marketing gets involved with science. Afaik the issue atm is still pretty muddy.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I have received the opposite information.
What opposite information did you receive?
As far as the tobacco in cigarettes are concerned, we know pretty much all we need to I think. Don't how to link it but the best tread about that subject on here is....

So - are we getting it or are we not - nicotine.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
What opposite information did you receive?
As far as the tobacco in cigarettes are concerned, we know pretty much all we need to I think. Don't how to link it but the best tread about that subject on here is....

So - are we getting it or are we not - nicotine.
I read, somewhere around here I believe, that nicotine from vaping absorbs more poorly that nicotine from cigarettes. Iirc partially due to additional additives in cigarettes that increase absorbtion.

I agree that cigarettes are sufficiently researched. I was referring to e-cigarettes. There is a lot of conflicting and deliberately misleading information about e-cigarettes out there. I think this is due at least in part to campaigns by organizations that feel vaping is a competitor to their particular turf.

spaceman84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
North Carolina
Combustion destroys most of the nicotine in tobacco, so the amount that reaches your lungs is far less than what is "contained" in a cigarette. Then you have to account for how much is actually absorbed and how much is lost between drags. Ecigs have efficiency limitations as well. Freebase nicotine in particular is not well absorbed. And while there may be 40mg of nicotine in a juul pod, I guarantee you that nowhere near 40mg of nicotine enters the bloodstream.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Thing is, in a cigarette, (as rightly stated above) most of the nicotine evaporates on combustion. What is absorbed is not the nicotine, but a concoction of chemicals. Cigarettes are actually just a sinthetic drug.
In contrast, e cigs are very efficient in delivering nicotine for absorbtion.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
sorry I don't remember
Nor do I remember the one that said vaping is more poorly absorbed. There’s several entities creating their own data and messing with the facts so finding trustable information is hard. What I find most irritating is those self same entities then claim that because the data is confused (by them) that therefore there is no real data and we should all use their particular product instead of ecigs. I hate marketing as a concept. It seems it’s all about lying and doing evil for personal gain.

• Agree
Reactions: Clyde2011

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
Interesting. Source?
didn't manage to find the original source but I found a similar post.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/tobacco-cigarette-vs-e-cigarette-nicotine-equivalency.26

QUOTE:

The current estimate (at Q1 2013) is about 50% of the nicotine in the liquid is transferred into the vapor (because a variety of tests have been made but do not agree, although there is a preponderance of results around 50% to 55%). The nicotine in the smoke can be as little as one-twentieth (5%) of the amount in the cigarette.Cigarette (mainstream) smoke contains about 1mg per cigarette.

Reactions: bombastinator

dansus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2016
    London
    Freebase nicotine in particular is not well absorbed. And while there may be 40mg of nicotine in a juul pod, I guarantee you that nowhere near 40mg of nicotine enters the bloodstream.
    Freebase can easily be absorbed and processed by the body, but the mucus layer on membrane is a lower pH and slows down the absorption rate. Hence why from what ive read, acids are added to tobacco and nicotine to create a pH balanced cloud closer the bodies pH to aid absorption.

Then you have to look at why tobacco has all the other junk in it, levulinic acid helps prime receptors for nicotine, so your brain can get a bigger nic hit, and the resultant dopamine hit which gives you that sense of calm that vaping could never quite deliver.

So how much you absorb over time isnt really important to a smoker (or new vaper), only thing that matters is pharmacokinetics. (speed of delivery)

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    didn't manage to find the original source but I found a similar post.
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/tobacco-cigarette-vs-e-cigarette-nicotine-equivalency.26

QUOTE:

The current estimate (at Q1 2013) is about 50% of the nicotine in the liquid is transferred into the vapor (because a variety of tests have been made but do not agree, although there is a preponderance of results around 50% to 55%). The nicotine in the smoke can be as little as one-twentieth (5%) of the amount in the cigarette.Cigarette (mainstream) smoke contains about 1mg per cigarette.
    A very short segment of a very long article which states at most points that the whole thing basically cannot be measured. It’s quite old though (2012) and there is apparently at the top a statement to update the data which apparently never happened.

After reading as much of it as I could at this late hour (it really is quite long) I can only conclude that as of 2012 the subject was still confusing as hell.

Excellent job finding the data though. I laud your investigative skills.

• Love
    Reactions: greek mule

greek mule

Unresolved Status
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2018
    Athens,Greece
    A very short segment of a very long article which states at most points that the whole thing basically cannot be measured. It’s quite old though (2012) and there is apparently at the top a statement to update the data which apparently never happened.

After reading as much of it as I could at this late hour (it really is quite long) I can only conclude that as of 2012 the subject was still confusing as hell.

Excellent job finding the data though. I laud your investigative skills.
    search

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    Good Gosh!!!

To cut through the red tape and make a long story short without going into inside baseball stuff, the Juul has a way to create a more satisfying vape to smokers versus the other brands.

Statistics show that the majority of smokers who try vaping end up going back to smoking, and quickly. Cigarettes are a very efficient method of introducing nicotine to the bloodstream through decades of research and development.

Vaping is still in its infancy. Things have come a long way in about a decade in vaping technology. But the average smoker does not want to carry around a device about the size of a coffee cup that (due to misleading info has them thinking they) might explode. And the folks at Juul have figured out how to give the smoker who would like to stop an alternative that does actually increase the success rate of those wanting to stop smoking.

I have not tried a Juul and cannot comment on if they work or not. It has been said on the internet that Thomas Jefferson invented it, so getting to the real truth about whether a Juul provides same or more nicotine than a cigarette is an excersize in futility to anyone not willing to research until their eyes bleed and then some. Too many opinion based facts, figures, charts and graphs these days.

One thing is certain though. If the Juul causes one to stop inhaling carbon monoxide that is probably going to go down in history as a good thing.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Think the colours on the chart are wrong, it was peddled by some anti vaping group a while back, and the colours dont reflect the chart accurately.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the colors being wrong? Your follow up posts have good info, and seem like they pretty much support what's presented in the chart. I wouldn't accept as fact any marketing from a company, or anti-vaping group, but...

This chart comes from a lawsuit against PAX Labs. It is very similar to the documents I found in PAX patent submission documents. I was interested in diy'ing for pods, and spent the better part of a weekend a couple of weeks ago reading about various acids and their efficacy in improving delivery of nicotine to the bloodstream. The info I found supports the info in the chart in terms of order, if not actual numbers. While the charts may not be precise, and the delta's between them could be exaggerated, they definitely reflect my experience, and I believe the order of efficiency of 1) benzoic salts, 2) cigarette, and 3) freebase are at least representative of reality.

I know how quickly & strongly I feel nicotine from cigarettes, and that Juul feels even slightly more effective. I know that at 14, 18, 20, and even 25mg of freebase ejuice, it seems impossible even with chain vaping to come anywhere near that effect. I've experimented with 25mg nic salt in my diy juice, and found that it's exponentially more quick and powerful than the equivalent of freebase.

No agenda here, just presenting what I've found, and my amateur conclusions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread