The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Dear Guest, 

ECF will be down for an extended period Tuesday 25th January from 6am central / 7am Eastern. 

This is due to a server migration. With any luck we'll by open by lunchtime. Thanks in advance for your patience :)

@low_tar_neil

Dismiss Notice

Does PG taste very bitter?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by subver, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. subver

subver Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Alright, very embarrassing, but I somehow have a 120ml amber glass jar filled with a liquid that I didn't label. Very strange because I label everything! I have no idea how this slipped through.
    Anyway.. I'm pretty sure it's just straight 0 nic PG but I'm not 100% sure.

It has no smell but put a tiny dab on my tongue and it was very bitter.

So my question is... does PG taste very bitter?

I typically work with all VG so I don't have any other PG to compare it with.. but it's gotta be PG.. I just want to put my mind at ease, thanks!

2. SonHouse

SonHouse Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2013
    Seminole
    Not to me. I find it mostly tasteless.

3. EmeraldLeo1982

EmeraldLeo1982 Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma
    Hah I like your style. Unknown liquid in a brown glass jar....let's put some on the tongue and see what it does! PG has been known to have pepperish flavor. VG is sweetish. but this is when vaped. I've never drank my bases so wouldn't really know.

4. subver

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Hmmm weird! I guess I'll have to do a nicotine test on it.. it's weird though because it's definitely not VG and all my nic base is VG. Now I'm confused!

5. subver

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Haha Emerald I wouldn't have done it if I had 100mg nic base or anything.. and I'm sure it's not any of my nic base because it's all VG, so I'm at a loss.. I definitely labelled all my nic base... and I am missing 120ml of plain PG that I think might be it.. hmmm weird.

6. wbart

wbart Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2013
    Easton, MD, USA
    Taste first ask questions later

7. subver

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Yeah, not the best idea I admit. I know it's not nic base, though (all my base nic is VG and this is thin like PG) and the taste was a tiny minuscule amount (less than a drop)
    With that said, I definitely don't condone tasting random liquids!

It's gotta be PG, though - thinking now it was a bit peppery and I am missing exactly that much PG, so there it is haha.

8. williebb123

williebb123 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

just had to taste my pg because of you ( curisosity killed the cat ) mine i guess you could say ever so slightly bitter and ever so slightly sweet but they are maybe 20% of the total taste 80% no taste im thinking that you did label the bottle and the label fell off over time i found a bottle the other day one of my labels was just barely hanging on ( so much for the not so cheap labels )

9. subver

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Yeah very strange. Even weirder is I tape over my labels too so they stay on! Not sure how a bottle got by me, I definitely meticulously labelled my nic base bottles. I think I'm sensitive to PG as well, maybe that's why it tastes so strong too..

10. williebb123

i got a question for you i got a bag of eythol maltol crystals they taste bitter but its suppose to sweeten my e liquid , i cant remember the amounts i used but i mixed the crystals with pg and melted them in the microwave and added 1-2% to my DIY and could not tell it sweetened it at all i didnt know if maybe ecig express sent me the wrong stuff ( i know they have a bitter crystal for diy)

11. williebb123

i do brown bottles for pg , clear for vg , cobalt blue for nic , no need for labels , no kids , no strangers , no liabilities

12. subver

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Hah you know what? I actually think this is a bottle of PG with EM.. it has a bitter taste but sort of like cotton candy after taste.
    I think my mind overreacted when I tasted it because I was expecting it to be distilled water or something. Now it all makes sense.

So yeah the EM tastes a little bitter, but a little sweet, with a hint of cotton candy. I just compared it to my other EM in PG.

Also the colored bottles is a good idea!

13. SouthernBliss

SouthernBliss Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 19, 2013
    Athens, Ga, USA
    PG has a nasty chemical taste to me. Like the very worst cough syrup they ever gave me as a kid but without the addition of yucky cherry flavoring.

14. williebb123

15. SonHouse

SonHouse Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2013
    Seminole
    At that low of a percentage it's not a sweetener for most folks, it has more of a taste blending sort of effect where it softens some of the distinct notes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.