Does plastic tar filter unsafe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I bought a box of those once.

IDK if it's necessarily filtering out that much tar. I'm sort of doubtful, when i see them I always think they should go on the "As seen on TV" aisle, or something. I noticed no health improvements and also, vaping through plastic is utterly disgusting.

I might do some research on them to see if they actually work? I'm not doing it, I already know they didn't work, for me, and I guess you could consider it "harm reduction" IF they in fact work as advertised. I found them to be a needlessly expensive way to make my cigarettes taste horrible.

Anna

Alphazero

May 11, 2018
I bought a box of those once.

IDK if it's necessarily filtering out that much tar. I'm sort of doubtful, when i see them I always think they should go on the "As seen on TV" aisle, or something. I noticed no health improvements and also, vaping through plastic is utterly disgusting.

I might do some research on them to see if they actually work? I'm not doing it, I already know they didn't work, for me, and I guess you could consider it "harm reduction" IF they in fact work as advertised. I found them to be a needlessly expensive way to make my cigarettes taste horrible.

Anna
But it doesn't make sense that the plastic can harm you, right?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have no idea who makes those plastic tubes and whatnot, but I don't consider inhaling COMBUSTED SMOKE through plastic to be particularly smart. It may or may not be safe, I have NO CLUE.

All I can reliably report is a) I saw no health benefit and b) the plastic MUST have leeched, to a certain extent. THEY TASTED HORRIBLE.

Is there a reason you are bringing them up? I highly doubt that they're safer than vaping. Do you vape?

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Look, your friend is using them, maybe you want to ask him if it's "hot" or not. I'm trying desperately to remember whether it reduces the "heat" of the smoke, and if it does, I'm betting that is not good. Because it actually means the smoke is being affected by the plastic, somehow, cooled, and that usually means it's interacting with the plastic somehow.

All I remember is what they tasted like. Maybe your "friend" can come here and ask about them, if he's not concerned about his health, I don't really see why you should be. If you want to find out more, well I just searched, and granted this is not my typical source, but sheesh, there has been NO safety data on those things. BUT here is a yahoo answers link where a variety of folks chime in on whether they are "safe" or not.

I should by all rights point out that the filters NOW STANDARD on all cigarettes did not reduce mortality rates a WHIT. So it appears. You may filter something, but until you filter it to the point that any and all SMOKE is filtered out, you will still be combusting tobacco.

That is, emphatically, and by all KNOWN MEASURES unsafe, and if the plastic tips did anything, there would have been peer reviewed studies or whatnot. My thoughts are the folks using them found tobacco more disgusting, and/or smoked less. Or, it was a placebo effect.

But have at the link: Do TarBlock Cigarette Filters really work?

I think they're either meaningless, unsafe, or both.

I am still asking what this has to do with vaping. Are you trying to get your friend to vape, well, okay, explain to your friend that there is NO safety data at all regarding the plastic filters. It's all either anecdotes, or nonsense, or both.

Anna

Alphazero

May 11, 2018
Look, your friend is using them, maybe you want to ask him if it's "hot" or not. I'm trying desperately to remember whether it reduces the "heat" of the smoke, and if it does, I'm betting that is not good. Because it actually means the smoke is being affected by the plastic, somehow, cooled, and that usually means it's interacting with the plastic somehow.

All I remember is what they tasted like. Maybe your "friend" can come here and ask about them, if he's not concerned about his health, I don't really see why you should be. If you want to find out more, well I just searched, and granted this is not my typical source, but sheesh, there has been NO safety data on those things. BUT here is a yahoo answers link where a variety of folks chime in on whether they are "safe" or not.

I should by all rights point out that the filters NOW STANDARD on all cigarettes did not reduce mortality rates a WHIT. So it appears. You may filter something, but until you filter it to the point that any and all SMOKE is filtered out, you will still be combusting tobacco.

That is, emphatically, and by all KNOWN MEASURES unsafe, and if the plastic tips did anything, there would have been peer reviewed studies or whatnot. My thoughts are the folks using them found tobacco more disgusting, and/or smoked less. Or, it was a placebo effect.

But have at the link: Do TarBlock Cigarette Filters really work?

I think they're either meaningless, unsafe, or both.

I am still asking what this has to do with vaping. Are you trying to get your friend to vape, well, okay, explain to your friend that there is NO safety data at all regarding the plastic filters. It's all either anecdotes, or nonsense, or both.

Anna
Hi, i recommended him to just vape but because the negative press of e cig he doesn't want to.
I think that for someone unwilling to vape, these plastic can be life saving if you believe the lab report:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-17-21-48-47-219_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-05-17-21-48-47-219_com.android.chrome.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Okay. Well, I didn't see a lab report, but if you've seen one, great.

Is your friend willing to try Swedish or even American snus? Would he be intrigued by perhaps, the idea of some whole tobacco alkaloid juice, perhaps? (Contains many of the alkaloids found in tobacco and safer, due to lack of combustion?)

These are all viable harm reduction methods, but basically, if that is what your friend wants to use, net benefit to him, I guess? If they make him feel safe, fantastic. I can't help but sort of comparing it to wearing a condom but cutting off the tip. Not as pleasant as just smoking, probably not super effective either.

Seriously, dude, if a plastic filter tip could drop tobacco harm to 0%, the tobacco companies would be using them ALREADY INSTALLED, that's how much smoking has been on the decline. Seriously.

Best of luck to your friend, and hopefully you can just keep modelling vaping for him. I'm doubtful as to risk reduction, but I am also not your friend, who needs to make his own choices, etc.

Anna

Reactions: Alphazero

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Tar is a minor part of the overall problem.

There are over 7,000 nasty things in cigarette smoke and that isn't filtering them out, 43 of them are known to cause cancer in animals. Here is a short l

What's In a Cigarette?
There are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes. When burned, they create more than 7,000 chemicals. At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer, and many are poisonous.
Many of these chemicals also are found in consumer products, but these products have warning labels. While the public is warned about the danger of the poisons in these products, there is no such warning for the toxins in tobacco smoke.

What's In a Cigarette?

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread