Does Vaping make you feel normal or high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
From what I gather, you were a non smoker who started vaping in order to self-medicate some sort of depression or something? Could be wrong, as this thread has been hard to follow lol. I wouldn't recommend getting addicted to nicotine, be it through vaping or cigarettes, and ESPECIALLY not cigarettes. Nicotine does indeed flood dopamine receptors, and takes control of their production so to speak. This is why cig smokers need one in the morning, and can't last many hours without one. The nicotine manipulates dopamine output to the extent that the human body recognizes nicotine at the importance levels of food and water, thus giving off a small "reward" (dopamine) for in ingestion of nicotine (as the body naturally does with food and water).

Putting your body through essentially a foreign invasion just to try to better your mood (which in the long run will deteriorate your mood stability) isn't a good idea imo. Try improving your diet, socializing with friends/family, picking up an instrument, exercising, and practicing meditation. I find that naturally improving one's life almost always equates to more energy throughout the day and more stable feelings of well-being. Willingly becoming addicting to any substance is never a good idea. Hope this helps.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I think nicotine, a stimulant to me as well, helps me pace my hyperness. I'm still hyper but not doing so much so fast for so long I'm dropping things and ready to scream or cry. It also helps keep me from obsessing to a detrimental point. Nicotine doesn't give me a high. It's subtle until you haven't had any for too long. I read that many times. It's supposed to help memory and I do believe it does clear some brain fog. Much like coffee. A stimulant can spike some people out of their doldrums. Give you a second wind on a long tiring day. Some people drink coffee all day. All in all it's pretty harmless stuff. In Africa we chewed Kola Nut. Just another stimulant. None of it is even close to other stronger categories of stimulants.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
From what I gather, you were a non smoker who started vaping in order to self-medicate some sort of depression or something? Could be wrong, as this thread has been hard to follow lol. I wouldn't recommend getting addicted to nicotine, be it through vaping or cigarettes, and ESPECIALLY not cigarettes. Nicotine does indeed flood dopamine receptors, and takes control of their production so to speak. This is why cig smokers need one in the morning, and can't last many hours without one. The nicotine manipulates dopamine output to the extent that the human body recognizes nicotine at the importance levels of food and water, thus giving off a small "reward" (dopamine) for in ingestion of nicotine (as the body naturally does with food and water).

Putting your body through essentially a foreign invasion just to try to better your mood (which in the long run will deteriorate your mood stability) isn't a good idea imo. Try improving your diet, socializing with friends/family, picking up an instrument, exercising, and practicing meditation. I find that naturally improving one's life almost always equates to more energy throughout the day and more stable feelings of well-being. Willingly becoming addicting to any substance is never a good idea. Hope this helps.

Agreed.

You're asking questions that probably can't be answered on this forum.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I think its more psychological than physical though a tad physical.. meaning.... Kind of like some saying "why drink NA beer or decaffienated coffee?" I like coffee and drink it for taste and only drink decaf but it did take a while to get over knowing it wasn't the "real thing." Now I can't handle the rush caffeine gives. I've never smoked nor vaped for a "buzz" and would be just as uncomfortable with that. Its hard to separate all the factors involved with "moodiness" because giving up a strong habit (rituals, etc) is going to cause a withdrawal (psychological) bad mood and once over the hump that mood will go away so is it physical? maybe is all I can say.

ioftenshave

Mar 13, 2013
Philippines

Yea, it does.. I'll just smoke my friends, maybe an instrument!

But yea, I've dropped nicotine and am just gonna mention to my p-doc I've been at it for the better part of a week with the age old adage "It's totally harmless!" whist trying to resist the urge to blow smoke in her face.

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Yea, it does.. I'll just smoke my friends, maybe an instrument!

But yea, I've dropped nicotine and am just gonna mention to my p-doc I've been at it for the better part of a week with the age old adage "It's totally harmless!" whist trying to resist the urge to blow smoke in her face.

Try your best to aim for 0mg. Lots of people on this forum vape 0mg flavors just for the act of vaping and the good tastes. An instrument wouldn't be a bad idea either. I have a good relationship with my guitar and my drumset, and I seriously recommend getting in tune with your musical side. Imo, we all have one, but in most of us it was neglected/shunned earlier in our lives and it is up to us to revive it.

After my morning vape/tea, music session, and hot shower, I'm ready for whatever life has in store :rickroll:

Abe_Katz

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
FL, USA
I think the problem with the question is that "normal" is not defined and "high" is not defined.

That said, I will say that nicotine for me does have a slight stimulating effect, (without it I feel like a zombie--same is true for caffeine) it allows me to concentrate better and so on. While I use it I can concentrate on par or better than non-nicotine users without ADD from anecdotal reports of others. (Clearly not scientific at all.)

However do I feel high? No. I have gotten a short lived nicotine buzz a couple times when I was learning how to vape, like happened when I was learning how to smoke. But other than that no real "high" effects. I've since cut on my juice concentration.

If one means high as in having an elevated mood...yes nicotine has always elevated my mood. Though vaping seems to do so better than smoking ever did--probably the absence of all the other garbage.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I have fasting blood work done every four months and fasting includes not vaping/smoking. The usual for me is 24 hours without nicotine then (before and after labs.) I don't experience a mood downer from not having nicotine and I didn't the times I tried to quit cold turkey either. I think, when discussing depression, abnormal brain chemistry is already present... ie: clinical (physical) depression means the brain chemistry is already out of whack. I suppose nicotine could affect or balance it in some way. I'm not a doctor so don't know but I don't think someone with normal brain chemistry is going to experience an elevated mood from nicotine. At least I don't. However, missing their ritualistic habit and other physical affects can certainly put them in a bad mood vaping/smoking then can relieve that stress and put them in a better mood but not a chemically elevated one as with mood-altering prescribed meds. If it did docs would be prescribing it for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread