Does your RM2 ever POP so hard it scares you ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Seeds in the joose?

I know EXACTLY what your sayin' there :D Been there - done that - and had holes in the car seat to prove it.

But that reminds me of a similar story and a warning about wide barrel drip tips.

A couple weeks ago my vape went bad really really quickly .... couldn't put my finger on it so I switched out the REO for a different one and went about my day. That night I took another hit of it and almost gagged .... It got even worse .... tasted terrible.

Pop the top and there was a foreign object just sitting there all black and nasty. After thinking it through I'm pretty sure it was a piece of toasted garlic that must have fallen off my everything bagel in the car and right down my big bore DT ..... I mean really what are the odds of sinking that shot ...... Granted I drop about 100 things off the bagel every time I eat one and the REO was between my legs some of the time ..... But C'mon garlic in the vape ?? Yuk ......

I didn't taste it when I took it out so it could have been a sesame seed or some other thing that gets stuck to an everything bagel ........ but I'm pretty sure it was garlic.

FEEDER

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Geordieland UK
Thank you, that cotton in the link looks luscious .... Yes my CVS cotton roll does have a lot of little balls in it.
But the thing is I'm pretty sure its done it with silica too, not 100% sure though. Maybe I'll check that out.
Using a cyclone, with a 1.4ohm coil in, 3days old, wrapped on a 1.6mm drill bit, with 2mm silica wick, it's been popping since it went in, & it's still popping now
It happens quite often with me
Frank

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Using a cyclone, with a 1.4ohm coil in, 3days old, wrapped on a 1.6mm drill bit, with 2mm silica wick, it's been popping since it went in, & it's still popping now
It happens quite often with me
Frank

Nice to know I'm not totally crazy ...... Ya I'm pretty sure I've had the big pops with silica also.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I've had this happen from time to time and I believe it is actually combustion of alcohol vapors from the juice,I believe it's actually a short non contained micro explosion. the rm2 has a small chamber which might be a contributing factor, smaller chamber makes for a more dense alcohol air vapor mix. a small drip tip may contain the volatile mixture in the chamber more than a wide bore and of course every juice is different too along with every coil, a low ohm quick heating coil with a small chamber and a high alcohol content juice is the recipe for this to happen in my opinion. as long as your chamber is not sealed it of course isn't dangerous and there isn't a lot of force behind it but you can sometimes even feel the cap "pop" up slightly from this explosion too

you can test this theory by doing a little bit of draw before you fire, this will purge the alcohol rich air mixture and should eliminate the pop if it is indeed caused by what I'm saying, I steep my juices quite a bit now and this hasn't happened to me in a long time, you can leave your bottle of juice open for like a day and much of the alcohol will evaporate

Last edited:

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
A couple weeks ago my vape went bad really really quickly .... couldn't put my finger on it so I switched out the REO for a different one and went about my day. That night I took another hit of it and almost gagged .... It got even worse .... tasted terrible.

Pop the top and there was a foreign object just sitting there all black and nasty. After thinking it through I'm pretty sure it was a piece of toasted garlic that must have fallen off my everything bagel in the car and right down my big bore DT ..... I mean really what are the odds of sinking that shot ...... Granted I drop about 100 things off the bagel every time I eat one and the REO was between my legs some of the time ..... But C'mon garlic in the vape ?? Yuk ......

I didn't taste it when I took it out so it could have been a sesame seed or some other thing that gets stuck to an everything bagel ........ but I'm pretty sure it was garlic.

Did you check to see if it had legs? Maybe a bug crawled in there...

this had me laughing pretty hard though, thanks!

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
This does have me thinking about squeezing a couple of drops of garlic juice in the atty with a little unflavored nic juice though... I love garlic! :)

I think they make "pizza" flavored juice. NOT for me though, savory isn't where I am going with my vaping flavors any time soon. But hey! Please let us know how that works for you...

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
Just maybe your rm2 has hard feelings with you showing all the love to your high class chalice . Try talking nice maybe a few words like I no your not made of stainless and your a little rough on the edges but I still love you baby :vapor:

Rob this is one of my favorite posts of yours ever !!!

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Mine pop fairly regularly. Sometimes it feels like an uncommonly angry Pop Rock exploding in the RM2. I've actually had hot juice droplets shoot out the air hole and onto the tip of my nose. (I'm an index finger firer) I've actually startled my wife at night with an especially robust RM2 pop when sneaking a vape after getting up to whiz.

The alcohol theory sounds logical. The age of the build seems to play a factor as well.

I kinda like the powerful pops. They remind me that the REO/RM2 is a noble, yet fierce beast.

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Mine pop on occasion too. Same pattern, it's always after it has been sitting for a while. Another thing I noticed is that the larger the coil gauge, the bigger the pop.

I use same two juices in every RBA with exception of a couple no nic/no flavor VG in one and nic/no flavor in another. I'm going to pay better attention to which RBA and which flavors give me more popping. I don't get much popping but I suspect one does it more t one juice does it more than another.

On another note, yesterday I used freshly rebuilt 14500 Mini with Hornet all day, 1.4 ohm coil; no popping and I think I'm gonna drill out cap hole a smidgen. Evening switched to 18490 Mini with ERA, 1.4 coil. It had been sitting a couple days. First couple drags big pops and it is continuing to do a lot of low grade, subdued pops. ERA cap hole has not been drilled out but it a bit more loose than Hornet and ERA has bit larger chamber. RM2 has bigger chamber than other two.

18490 has MBV Butterscotch that may have some alcohol in juice but not sure. 14500 has Vapor Craze Monkey Business that is butterscotch based, but additional "notes", but probably no alcohol.

Not sur if it's different RBAs or juice, maybe both. ERA pops more than any RM2 ever does. RM2 looser draw.

Another factor to add to mystery is ERA is first time I've used 28 ga kanthal, with cotton wick instead of my usual 30 ga with cotton.

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I think they make "pizza" flavored juice. NOT for me though, savory isn't where I am going with my vaping flavors any time soon. But hey! Please let us know how that works for you...

I think I have some FSUSA pizza sample in cooler. Upstairs by cooler right now. Will pull it out to try later. Never sampled it although it's been in cooler over a year. Well steeped at 45-50F. I suspect I WILL HATE IT.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Val,quick update. (Once again procrastination wins over what I should be doing.) Over 200 bottles that I kept out to store, and forgot about, or kept out of 9 lb bag I took to Jen, spring 2012, to use, try out or PIF. Most bags dated 12/10 to 2/11 but did find 2 X 30 ml bottles (What in doGs name was Feisty {not} thinking!!!!!!!!), one FSUSA Spaghetti and one FSUSA Chicken,Roasted!!!!???!!!!!! Dated 6/16/12...... OH MY!!!!

Will give update if I survive.:unsure:

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
Val,quick update. (Once again procrastination wins over what I should be doing.) Over 200 bottles that I kept out to store, and forgot about, or kept out of 9 lb bag I took to Jen, spring 2012, to use, try out or PIF. Most bags dated 12/10 to 2/11 but did find 2 X 30 ml bottles (What in doGs name was Feisty {not} thinking!!!!!!!!), one FSUSA Spaghetti and one FSUSA Chicken,Roasted!!!!???!!!!!! Dated 6/16/12...... OH MY!!!!

Will give update if I survive.:unsure:
chicken???
thehorror.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread