Dont drip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prr2freya

ECF Veteran
I do the same thing....

I have found that dipping rather than dripping is helping to prevent battery flooding on my Evo. I bought a load of contact lense cases off ebay and these are perfect for carrying 2 flavors around and dipping all day. It also allows mixing of micro batches in the case itself so you can try many loranns and never end up with a bottle of stale or foul liquid. Just hold the coil in the liquid for a few seconds, it wont soak more than it can hold an run into the battery, it also seems to last longer than dripping as more of the coil absorbs more fully...

prr2freya

ECF Veteran
What model of e cig do you use for dipping. I imagine you need the metal mesh exposed...Not a titan510 type atomizer where the coil and mesh are down inside the tube of the atomizer.

yes.. An exposed atomizer like the m401/2.. same as the EVO.. No dead atomizers to date. And never had any liquid get in the battery or the threads.

Last edited:

toughdiamond

May 12, 2009
90+% of the time, its User Error or the Power Source, NOT, the atomizer ...
The only way I can see the atomizer dieing from actual flooding is this (outside of a Manufacturer Defect)
Constant Flooding, thus user blows out/boils/tries to clean it. And even then, its not the flooding that kills it, its the aftermath of trying to clean it.

Large amounts of liquid dripped will simply find its way out at the bottom of the pot. Unless liquid can desolder/short/or otherwise do something to the atomizer (minus leaking down in to the battery/atomizer threads) I see no way of it happening.
I agree - looking at the atomiser on my e-cig, it looks pretty robust. It's basically just a short, thick length of braided resistance wire, presumably welded onto the terminals (I can't see the ends). I can understand how dripping it might gradually coat it with non-volatile gunk and therefore slowly reduce its heating efficiency, but I've been dripping e-liquid onto it for some time now (just a little bit to wet it), and it doesn't seem to have done it any harm. I've only cleaned it once, using one of those air cans, and the only thing that came off it looked like un-used e-liquid. Any solid gunk would have to have pretty good heat insulation properties to have a noticeable effect, I would have thought. I bet a lot would depend on the quality of the liquid - if it's truly 100% vapourisable, it shouldn't be leaving any solids behind.

Thinking about it, I reckon the atomiser probably cleans itself as it's used, because the airflow is always tending to push liquid back out of the atomiser and into the cartridge.

And being a braided wire that touches the (wet) cartridge, it would presumably absorb liquid from the cart by capillary action, so dripping wouldn't be doing anything radically different from "normal" use, except in terms of quantity.

Moreover, if the atomiser is wet, then as the liquid gets vapourised, it will take up its latent heat of vapourisation, which would reduce the atomiser temperature - so I'd think that trying to use it too dry would result in it being hotter, which might age it quicker.

Perhaps it depends on the brand of atomiser and liquid? I can see how a flimsy atomiser, a liquid with a lot of impurities in it, and an aggressive cleaning technique could lead to problems.

For people with multimeters and a love of electronics, my atomiser has a resistance of 3.6 ohms, and the battery, when fully charged, has a voltage of 4 volts. That has to generate 4.44 watts of heating power. The only way that the heating power could become less would be if the resistance increased or the voltage decreased. So otherwise, the only thing that could stop the atomiser from vaporising the liquid would be a significant buildup of insulative gunk around it, which I think is unlikely.

toughdiamond

May 12, 2009
looking at the atomiser on my e-cig, it looks pretty robust. It's basically just a short, thick length of braided resistance wire, presumably welded onto the terminals (I can't see the ends).

I have to retract that part of my post. :oops: It seems that the thick, braided wire is not the atomiser coil at all, but the "bridge" which feeds the coil. I presume that the actual coil hidden away in the atomiser housing somewhere, and possibly the coil really is quite a delicate component. Anyway, it's well-protected by the surrounding metalwork.

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
With my yeti, I totally top off the cart so to the point that it won't soak up anymore and drip 3 drops onto the atomizer before putting it back together. It sounds like i'm puffing on a bubbler, but I haven't had any atomizer problems and I get HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE hits. This could be due to the fact that the yeti runs pretty hot in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread