Don't get all the hype of subs vs. standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewer26

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
NY
Morning all,

I don't post much but I just had to ask this. Why is sub ohm so popular these days? Most tanks and even mods are now built with that in mind. I just bought my first sub tank and after hitting on that for a day, I just don't get it. More clouds, sure. But so what. When I vape most of the time I'm trying to be discreet about it anyway. Doesn't produce anymore flavor than my standard setup and I go through less juice with standard. Where's the advantage?

Don't mean to spill anyone's Cheerios here, I'm just sincerely wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brewer26

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
NY
I agree. It's about taste for me as well. My kayfun with 1.5 ohm coil produces better taste at 11 watts than this Aspire Cleito .4 at 30 watts. The Cleito gives me bigger clouds, less taste, shorter battery life and uses more juice.

Back to kayfun for me. To each their own as with everything in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russel

Feb 26, 2016
P=V^2/R which is to say the lower the resistance the greater the power, and more generally, the greater the cloud.

Mech mods have no VV (variable voltage) or VW (Variable Wattage) therefore resistance is how power output is controlled.

With regulated devices the only real general advantage, as in all other factors aside which may actually be quite relevant, is that you can use a higher wattage without invoking voltage boosting which is noticeably inefficient on battery life.

However it is possible to build two coils with a resistance ratio of 1:2 and a vapour production ratio of 2:1 at the same wattage.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Morning all,

I don't post much but I just had to ask this. Why is sub ohm so popular these days? Most tanks and even mods are now built with that in mind. I just bought my first sub tank and after hitting on that for a day, I just don't get it. More clouds, sure. But so what. When I vape most of the time I'm trying to be discreet about it anyway. Doesn't produce anymore flavor than my standard setup and I go through less juice with standard. Where's the advantage?

Because regulated mods that can fire low ohm coils are now available; pretty much the norm now.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

MattyVigilante

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2016
Northamptonshire
I sub ohm at my desk (at home, not at work!), nice open lung hits, lovely clouds, nice flavour, sure it drains my juice but I DIY so not a huge issue.
I MTL in the car / if I'm in bed reading or in a place where ostentatious clouds would not be appreciated.
I do drip as well but mostly when flavour testing.
I guess it's since sub ohming has become more prevalent, manufacturers market towards what people buy, the numbers don't lie :)

Reactions: beckdg

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Seems there are a number of vapers that get a sub tank and, as you said, hit on it for a day making me wonder how many flavors were tried. JMHO, but I had flavors I liked on a "standard" tank that just didn't cut it on a sub tank. But I also found flavors that were wonderful on a sub tank that fell short on "regular" tanks. One of my favorite flavors now is a grape/melon that had I been told before I tried it, I never would have even considered it. Fortunately, I have a great B&M (please oh please don't let this turn into an "all B$M's suck discussion) that knows what flavors I like, what equipment I have, and always manages to let me try flavors on similar set-ups. So, now that you have the tank, expand your flavor horizons.

Clouds are nice in the right settings, but not the main benefit. I mentioned great flavor above, but there is also the great air flow and at least for the tanks I am using, adjustments galore letting you dial in to your own personal favorite vape.

Some/many are content with a higher ohm set-up that works for them and that is all that matters. For me, anyway, I am always on the lookout for something that works a bit better for me. And so far, I have always been able to find something a little or lot better that keeps me going and off the smokes.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
What you don't know doesn't matter ;)

Vape Safe and enjoy,
:vapor:

This really sums it up. I started with tootle puffer gear and moved on to rebuilding, DIY and sub-ohm.

Never thought I'd do either. That's why they call it a journey. You may be an avid sub-ohm fan some day, or maybe not. As long as you are satisfied with what you have, it's all good by me!

Reactions: Yiana

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Morning all,

Temp control coils and some enjoy a warmer vape, it's also nice not to have to take 5-10 sec pulls just to get that throat hit ......................

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
Hang on while I finish picking up my Cheerios... ;)

I was going to be a tootle puffer for LIFE, if you'd asked me 6 or 7 months ago, because my little battery and little tank WAS keeping me off cigarettes, but then someone sent me a sub-ohm tank and some coils to try. He said I'd probably like it better. It took me a while before I was brave enough to try that tank, but when I did, I found out I had been missing out on a lot of the flavor in the juices I was using. I honestly get annoyed sometimes at the amount of vapor, because that's not why I vape, but the sub-ohm tank allows me to spend a second or less taking a hit, whereas with the tootle tanks I was spending 4 to 6 seconds taking each draw, and THAT is a huge advantage for me. I know a lot of people won't understand this, but I have so much work that needs to get done during the day, that those saved seconds really make a difference over the course of a day. Call me obsessive if you want, I don't care (because I am! LOL!), but for ME, I like being able to zip by, grab my mod, take a quick hit, and be off again. And I get as much nic in that one hit as I did vaping for 5 or 10 minutes on my little Protanks and 650 EVODs.

If I had unlimited time to just sit and vape, I'd probably still be using the "standard" setups, but this works SO much better for my lifestyle. Of course, I'm an old lady farm wife, so I'm not out in public much (and when I do go out, I take a standard rig with me). And my "clouds" dissipate in a matter of minutes, so it's not like I'm filling the room or anything. Before, when I smoked, I had a cigarette going ALL THE TIME, and burned up twice as many as I smoked, I'm sure, but I always had one idling in an ashtray so that I could grab a hit on the fly. Now I do the same thing, but there's no waste, it tastes better, and the room doesn't get full of smoke haze.

Those are MY reasons. And now I will go get another bowl of Cheerios. :p

~Lannie

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Don't get me wrong. I'm not dissing on the clouds. But I believe something may have been lost in progression. Back when I started - couple years ago - there were more discussions on how to adjust ones liquids for 'throat hit'. Seems to me like throat hit is almost a forgotten term. The current way to replicate the feel of a cig seems to be to up ones VG content for bigger clouds. With a high-VG liquid, one needs quite a bit of volume to get much of a throat hit at all. Or, maybe, increased temperature of ones vapor.

Seems to me high VG / big volume has become a one-size-fits-all solution to any vaping related problems - like not feeling very much like smoking a cig. While in reality, high power - if not for the sake of visual clouds - may only be a solution to a 'problem' caused by using high-VG liquids.

While some desire clouds for sake of clouds, some may simply be mislead into barking increasingly louder up the wrong tree.

Reactions: David Wolf

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Hang on while I finish picking up my Cheerios... ;)

I was going to be a tootle puffer for LIFE, if you'd asked me 6 or 7 months ago, because my little battery and little tank WAS keeping me off cigarettes, but then someone sent me a sub-ohm tank and some coils to try. He said I'd probably like it better. It took me a while before I was brave enough to try that tank, but when I did, I found out I had been missing out on a lot of the flavor in the juices I was using. I honestly get annoyed sometimes at the amount of vapor, because that's not why I vape, but the sub-ohm tank allows me to spend a second or less taking a hit, whereas with the tootle tanks I was spending 4 to 6 seconds taking each draw, and THAT is a huge advantage for me. I know a lot of people won't understand this, but I have so much work that needs to get done during the day, that those saved seconds really make a difference over the course of a day. Call me obsessive if you want, I don't care (because I am! LOL!), but for ME, I like being able to zip by, grab my mod, take a quick hit, and be off again. And I get as much nic in that one hit as I did vaping for 5 or 10 minutes on my little Protanks and 650 EVODs.

If I had unlimited time to just sit and vape, I'd probably still be using the "standard" setups, but this works SO much better for my lifestyle. Of course, I'm an old lady farm wife, so I'm not out in public much (and when I do go out, I take a standard rig with me). And my "clouds" dissipate in a matter of minutes, so it's not like I'm filling the room or anything. Before, when I smoked, I had a cigarette going ALL THE TIME, and burned up twice as many as I smoked, I'm sure, but I always had one idling in an ashtray so that I could grab a hit on the fly. Now I do the same thing, but there's no waste, it tastes better, and the room doesn't get full of smoke haze.

Those are MY reasons. And now I will go get another bowl of Cheerios. [emoji14]
~Lannie
Another tootler converted.

Come to the dark side.

Lannie has cheerios.

Which is much healthier and tastier than the Kool aid being served over at that other group.
[emoji14]

Tapatyped

Brewer26

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
NY
Well I'm not quitting on the sub tank just yet. I'll give it a few more days. But I'm not allowed to vape in the living room because the wife doesn't appreciate me creating my own weather system with this thing.

The one advantage I've come across so far is the ability to vape with a much lower nic level and still get a throat hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread