don't take this the wrong way. but.

Status
Not open for further replies.

christina7

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
New York
:censored: (the censored part is my response)(because I hate it when people say that)
So, to continue, dont take this the wrong way, but your inhaling water vapor into your lungs right? and since your like constantly sucking on that thing, (which I'm not) water in your lungs can not be good.

so can it? I'm thinking the amount of water that actually ends up in my "lungs" is still less than breathing when its humid out.

sigh. theyre just always searching. aimlessly. for anything. And I just want to knock down each obsticle as it comes my way. I think I'm winning so far.

c.

Sgt.Taz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago,IL.
www.youtube.com
My though on that issue is if your body didn't like it you'd be getting that cough and pain you get when actual water gets into your lungs. Think about when you drink and mistakenly breath while swallowing. Direct access to your lungs with pain, cough, and that sick feeling. Also when you go to the hospital for breathing trouble they give you vapor with medication to breath into your lungs so it's pretty much a PV on a larger scale. If that was unsafe then why would a medical professional administer medication using this method. (years of research have already went into this) My daughter has a home unit for her breathing trouble and uses it on a regular basis. This was a major factor in my reasoning to quit and the PV I use now does not bother her at all. Just some ammo for your use ;)

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
I am no Doc, or scientist, but it isn't a water vapor at all. Propylene Glycol is what is being vaporized, not water. However PG does have strong moisture retaining properties. In the 50's the FDA approved PG to be used as an airborne disinfectant to be used in hospitals. Earlier than that ( the 40's) it was proposed to circulate PG into the cooling systems of public schools in attempt to curve the spread of viruses among children.

Of course I myself didn't perform these studies, its just some of what I've read on the net, but I thought it was interesting enough to mention here. Good luck explaining this to a skeptic. Something I've noticed (and I may be alone here) is after vaping for a while, and my mouth begins to dry, if I take a healthy gulp of water, I seem to notice an increase in the amount of vapor I exhale. Is this just hindsight bias? Either way, you know you wanna give it a try now. I just had to.

Last edited:

Cyia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Independence, Missouri
My guess would be there isn't enough of the water in the vapor to drown us even constantly vaping on it 24/7. You inhale small amounts of saliva, moisture, fumes, carbon monoxide, and so on that the little itty bit of water coming from your PV isn't going to damage anything in the near or far future. it probably is the least thing you should worry about when it comes to inhaling things. And heck I read that PG is used in inhalers as well, so at all costs I wouldn't worry about it.

christina7

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
New York
Well it is hard to say how much water gets in your lungs. But it for sure cant be as bad a smoke i would think. So what set you off someone you know or a news article ?

someone I know and live with. and of course its not as bad as smoke. and all those other toxins. If its too good to be true, people just dont buy it. and if you look like your enjoying yourself when you should be misserable because you gave up the anologs, then there must be something evil to it.

Good ammo though! thx.

Last edited:

ShannonS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2009
Las Colinas, TX
Water is a molecule (H20) composed of three atoms, two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. When exposed to the heat of the atomizer, the liquid becomes a gas as the atoms change in reaction to the heat. You aren't inhaling liquid, but vapor. You don't need an MD, you need a chemist to explain this properly.

Breathing water vapor is perfectly safe, you do it every day, water vapor is in the air all around us and we breathe it constantly. Humans cannot breathe underwater because our lungs do not have enough surface area to absorb enough oxygen from water, I can assure you that if you breath water, you die :) Where I get fuzzy is how this reaction is affected by the ingredients used. Is the reaction any different for PG and VG and flavoring?

To answer your question the best I can, vaping is about as dangerous is taking a really hot bath with some fragrance in the water and breathing the steam.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Water isn't an essential component of ejuice. It CAN be a component, but that is optional and even then, a small component.

Water vapor is invisible. Water condensed onto dust particles is what you see when you observe fog, clouds, and your exhaled breath on chilly mornings (and when vaping).

PG and VG are hygroscopic (absorb water). The 'vapor' you exhale is visible due partially to water removed from your lungs by the vaporized juice. Far from drowning in water, vaping causes a certain degree of dehydration. That's why you should always remember to drink plenty of water if you're a heavy vaper.

tdh

Aug 16, 2010
Muncie, IN, USA
Water vapor is EVERYWHERE. Seriously.
Water Vapor and Vapor Pressure
Just multiply the gm/m^3 column by the relative humidity to get how much is in the air around you right now. The average person inhales around 11 ^3 of air a day, so.

Right now, in my house it is an even 20C, with a relative humidity of 61%. The table says 17.3 g/m^3, so
my air has 17.3*.61=10.6g/m^3. 11 m^3/day means that the water vapor I am inhaling is equivalent to over 110ml (almost 4 fl oz) of liquid water.

Of course the vapor from an e-cig is a lot warmer and some condensation may occur, but have you ever been outside while dew formed? You inhale more super-hydrated air taking a hot shower than you would vaping pure water vapor all day long. Well, if you take showers as long and hot as I do, anyway.

So, yeah

Saunas.
'Nuff said.

trouble2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2010
Billings, MT
The 'vapor' you exhale is visible due partially to water removed from your lungs by the vaporized juice. Far from drowning in water, vaping causes a certain degree of dehydration. That's why you should always remember to drink plenty of water if you're a heavy vaper.

Not to sound too ignorant, but, could this be why some of our smoker's cough was able to clear up so quickly? I was completely amazed that it took only a couple of days since I had been such a heavy smoker for over 28 yrs. My cough and the amount of phlegm I was producing was ridiculous. Could the vaping in itself help dry up what was gurgling about in the lungs?

Of course, I had not tried cutting back or quitting prior to e-cigs...so, I may be totally off on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread