The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

DotMod dotSquonk

Discussion in 'Liquid Feed APV Discussion' started by inswva, Nov 16, 2017.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. entropy1049

entropy1049 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

If you want to put those 20700’s to work in an unregulated, simple, and extremely well built hard use squonker, consider the Rig Mods VapeAmp. Two big thumbs up.

2. VictorViper

VictorViper Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Vancouver
    Precisely the plan, actually. :thumb:

Now THAT is how you place a wire into an unregulated device. Sadly, the DotSquonk cut into my vape budget a bit (new atty and top caps coming too), so it'll have to wait.

3. entropy1049

It’s a wonderfully overbuilt device! The wire may turn off some Mech purists, but crimping in addition to soldering provides a sound mechanical and electrical connection between the 510 and the batt terminal. I suppose if it really drove a person crazy they could replace the wire with a solid conductive bridge of their choosing, but it’s simply not necessary. The circuit path in that baby is as well constructed as any Mech Box I’ve ever beheld.

After scrutinizing and vaping my brother in law’s Rig I immediately ordered one. While awaiting delivery of my Rig, I considered a DotMod at a local brick and mortar. After holding it in my hand, I decided to just wait on the Rig. Had mine in house for a month or two now...It’s worth the wait, you’re gonna love it. :thumbs:

• Love Love x 1
  4. VictorViper

Jun 22, 2013
    Vancouver
    I was under the impression that the wire was actually brazed to the negative contact. Did something change?

5. entropy1049

You’re correct. I should have been more specific in indicating this refered to the 510 connection point.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. tomster64

tomster64 Full Member Verified Member

Apr 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------Could you tell me what the dimensions of the bottle are? Thinking about using the bottle in another squonk mod. Thanks in advance.

7. DrewVapes1986

DrewVapes1986 New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Would you mind sharing what your fix was? I picked one of these up a couple weeks ago before seeing this and I’m concerned. I have no experience with these fixes so it you could explain it in the simplest terms imaginable, I’d appreciate it.

8. VictorViper

Jun 22, 2013
    Vancouver
    If it's working OK you're golden. Challenge will possibly be if you are NOT working as advertised. The switch should be solid for a good long time assuming it's working correctly. Don't futzing with things unless you have to.

On that note, if you are experiencing issues, gimme a rundown and I'll try to assess.

9. VictorViper

Jun 22, 2013
    Vancouver
    Will try to do this for you shortly, but good luck. If you're building a mod to accept this bottle, that's one thing, but if not, I know of no other enclosures rhay will support a bottle this large (especially square).

10. DrewVapes1986

DrewVapes1986 New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    No issues at all so far. Fires consistently every time. Thanks for the reply and if I start having issues, I will definitely hit you up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SonnyCooL

SonnyCooL Senior Member

Jan 12, 2018
  12. Wolfeman0101

Wolfeman0101 New Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I'm having issues with my Dotsquonk not firing. The wire seems fine and it fires every few presses but it doesn't seem to be firing right. Any tips?

13. Ben85

Ben85 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    You need to clean up the contacts somehow.

14. Joru'us C'baoth

Joru'us C'baoth Super Member

My DotSquonk may be DEAD to me...
    Autofires as soon as a battery goes in.
    Not sure what is happening as they really didn't want a consumer getting into it...
    Anybody have an idea what might be going on?
    Is it worth my tearing it open to repair, should I try to warranty, or just let it RIP?
    Any advice welcome...
    I've had it since December or January, bought at a B&M locally. Very sad, but for the last few weeks I noticed things that indicated this might be coming...

15. dhomes

dhomes Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2012
    maracaibo
    I have a gold & a black one
    It's my favorite squonker to date

Also own a rig squonker (their new 41 RDA is awful, the squonker is solid but big), 3 REOs, a driptech TS and a few cheaper chinese ones.

No issues on either. I do like the small size for a 20700 with the huge bottle and how it feel in the hand.

16. Keket107

Keket107 Full Member

Mar 18, 2018
    if it's firing as soon as you put the battery in then it's probably your fire button that has become unscrewed and therefore it's pushing the contact block against your 510 pin. You can probably get away with just screwing with your thumb you're fire button I've seen this problem a few times on this particular mod

17. Keket107

Keket107 Full Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Did you ever manage to disassemble the 5-10 assembly in the dotsquonk?

18. Joru'us C'baoth

Joru'us C'baoth Super Member

20180316_174141.jpg not my pic, but that's it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. untar

untar Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    That's the pic from jfcooley over from the shiny madness thread. He's going to send his one back to dotmod to figure it out.
    If you don't plan on trying your luck on a warranty claim and aren't adverse to dissecting some hardware it sure would be nice to have the necessary steps and images of that assembly, I don't know of any place where you could see those. One dotmod owner would have to do that sooner or later since there seems to be a problem with that thing. Autofiring isn't acceptable in a mech.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Keket107

Keket107 Full Member

Mar 18, 2018
    oh it gets worse than Auto firing I'm guessing an electrical Arc between the firing block on the 510 pin which is basically melting the peek insulator I'll take a picture so you can see 1521384805968.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1