Double-Gasket seal for the RoughStack

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Calculon

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have the RoughStack from madvapes. Rugged and reliable, it is a great, simple mod. The only problem I had with it was a slight leak caused by my reckless dripping. I am a maniac, and I tend to flood the atomizer when I go into a frenzy. This resulted in leakage around the RoughStack's switch and into the housing. I realized that the switch, which is simply bolted on by a nut on the outside and a steel locking washer on the inside, was not sealed. I set about to find a way to fix this annoyance.

1supplies1.jpg

Above you see the disassembled RoughStack and the supplies needed to make it e-liquidproof. You need:

1. Very sharp, new razor (I prefer Lennox Gold)
2. Adjustable crescent wrench (the only tool needed to disassemble the RoughStack)
3. #36 o-rings (you may want to get a few of these... they are cheap... found in the plumbing department of the hardware store)
4. Extremely steady hands and nerves of steel

2supplies2.jpg

***NOTE: You will probably slice your fingers off if you attempt to do this. There IS a SAFE way to seal the RoughStack WITHOUT playing with razors. There are two methods to try here. Please read the WHOLE post! Try this at your own risk.***

METHOD ONE

1. Disassemble RoughStack, removing the PWB/switch assembly.
2. Cut the washer in half...

3cut o ring.jpg

...the hard Way. This is very difficult. I probably should have worn some gloves, but I was very careful. It will likely take you a few tries to get a smooth, even cut. Try to make the cut straight down the middle so you end up with 2 thin washers.

3. Place one of your half-washers around the screw post of the switch, where the metal washer was. You will not need the metal washer any more. The other half-washer will go between the outside of the housing and the external nut.

4place o rings.jpg

4. Re-install the switch assembly and put the second washer around the screw post on the outside, you will have to hold this all together to get the second washer on. There is not much extra room to work with here.

5put together.jpg

5. While holding this all together, use your fingers to start scewing the nut back on. Tighten it up a bit with the wrench and you are done! Not too tight, though. You don't want to force the washers out of place or damage them.

Continued...

Last edited:

King_Calculon

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
6done1.jpg 7done2.jpg

Here are some pictures of the results. It is a very simple addition that will keep you from having to disassemble and clean the RoughStack. I ended up with the double-gasket because I like to tweak things a lot. If you want a simple, safe solution, try...

METHOD TWO

1. Take the screw off the top of the RoughStack.
2. Place a whole washer around the screw post of the switch. Using the hands, push the nut onto the screw post and get it started.
3. Tighten a little until the nut is flush with the screw post of the switch. You have to be careful... over-tightening will push the washer out and over the atomizer connector, preventing proper atomizer installation.

CONCLUSION

Both of these methods work. Method 2 kept my RoughStack leak-free for a few days before I split the rubber gasket and removed the metal washer. There is not a lot of room down there; the switch and the atomizer connection are very close to one another. This makes it pretty challenging to get a good gasket on the exterior without getting too close to the connector. Method one, in my opinion, looks sharper and provides twice the protection. I'm sure there are other washers that could be used. I actually considered using Loc-Tite on both the switch and the atomizer connection. If the atomizer connector leaks on your RoughStack, this will only partially solve your issues. This part is internally sealed on mine from the factory.

BONUS TIP

I have also applied some conductive grease to the threads of the RoughStack body. It really makes opening and closing it to access the battery feel a lot smoother. You could also use it between the spring and bottom of the atomizer connector to prevent corrosion and improve conducivity!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread