Down to the nitty gritty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

solonguniverse

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Missouri, USA
I got started vaping about 6 days ago and I only ordered 10 ml of juice. Needless to say, I've been vaping like a crazy person and ran through all of my juice before my next shipment came in. I have a tiny bit of juice left and I watered it down to help stretch it out. I just thought afterwards this might not be the best thing for my atomizer. Will wetting my carts with this be okay until my juice comes in tomorrow?

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
What would be the correct mixing of juice to glycerin? What do most of you do? 2 to 1? Just to taste? I have the glycerin usp the other day, but where would you find the vegetable kind?
Thanks
USP Food Grade is the Vegetable Glycerine-

Propylene Glycol is the other that most juices are made with -

Juice to glycerine depends on if you wanna add water and flavor too - Look in the DYI recipes section - Lots of measurements there -

The VG is much thicker - It needs to be thinned with the water.
You have to get a feel for it - too thick and it will get gummed up and too thin it will leak through - Just use your judgment -

I put about 4-5 drops of water in about 2.5-3ml of the VG - seems about right - :cool:

You can get the VG at most health food or drug stores - I got it at Whole Foods - $8.00 for a 16 OZ bottle -

The PG is sometimes at drug stores although some are funny about selling it from what I hear - I have not bought any yet - It can also be found at Vet/Ranch supply places for about $20.00/Gallon - They use it for some cow ailment -

Last edited:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
Veg. G.=Glycerin= Glycol according to yvilla and she should know! All are the same, Glycerin may vary in thickness though.
You can buy V.G. or P.G. in a few of the suppliers sites here on the board.
Go to DIY e-liquid - e-cigarette-forum.com • The place for electronic cigarette reviews, news and chat this is located in Tips and tricks. There are a great many threads that give you recipes. Try Spikey's thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/10224-recipes-only.html

Nope - Not all (VG) Glycerine is the same - Different Grades of Purity and sources - And Glycerine and Glycol are most definitely not the same thing!

This site has a list going from LEAST pure to %100 Pure FOOD GRADE - (C3-H5-(OH)3)
glycerindirect.com
You have to click the "Product Grades" link at the top

If you are not getting %100 Pure then you are getting impurities - If it is not thick like honey - It has been cut with something and often what that is - is not listed - It will just say %90 VG - I personally don't want to vape %10 Unknown stuff -

Here is chemical Data sheet for Propylene Glycol (C3-H8-O2)from DOW -
Propylene Glycol

They can be used the same but they are different compounds and different sources -
For a really long explanation check this post
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...012-propylene-glycol-vegetable-glycerine.html

I'm not trying to split hairs - But it is important to be specific so folks aren't vaping any old thing that looks "close enough" - These are the ones KNOWN to be correct and safe. Sending folks off to the store with "All are the same!" could lead to some major errors in purchasing :)

Last edited:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Don't sweat it. Better safe then sorry! I was repeating what I had been taught.
By the way how would one get the other grades of Glycerin in a wal-mart or drug store? I know there is a soap and candle making glycerine sold at Michaels craft store. it does not say USP on it.
I am just asking because I am curious, I thought you would have to work in some sort of trade to get it. Do you know?

Last edited:

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
Don't sweat it. Better safe then sorry! I was repeating what I had been taught.
By the way how would one get the other grades of Glycerin in a wal-mart or drug store? I know there is a soap and candle making glycerine sold at Michaels craft store. it does not say USP on it.
I am just asking because I am curious, I thought you would have to work in some sort of trade to get it. Do you know?

That Glycerine Direct site I posted above seems to have them all - And they mention the Kosher type that I have seen recommended here and it only rates at %84 pure with %7 being chlorides/salts - I was in 2 different drug stores (Walgreen's and a local Mom&Pop) that had some that said %99 Glyceine yet they did not say what that other %1 was - Did not say what the source was - nor did it say USP I'm still not really sure what that was - Plus it was $15.00 for 8oz so I put it back

When %100 Pure is so readily available - Why would you want to bother with anything else? :)

And just to satisfy my curiosity -
What was Glycol referring to in your phrase:
"Veg. G.=Glycerin=Glycol . . . all are the same!" :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread