Dr. Bernd Mayer - E-Cig Medical Paper (March 2006)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The source of this document is:
http://www.aerzteinitiative.at/RuyanGutachten.pdf
(Translated into English with Google language tools)

Opinions on the pharmacology and toxicology
a Electric cigarette for smoking cessation
O. Univ. Dr. Bernd Mayer

Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences Pharmacology and Toxicology
Karl-Franzens University Graz, University Place 2
A-8010 Graz, Austria
Instructed by:
Renatus Derler
Utschgraben 79
A-8600 Oberaich
Austria

Background

Mr Renatus Derler plans to introduce an "electric cigarette to
Stop Smoking "(patent EP1618803) in the European market and has
I asked an opinion on the health aspects of this
Product to create. As part of my expertise in, I will
following the expected pharmacological and toxicological effects
assess the product. Economic and juridical aspects elude
my competence and therefore remain ignored.

Operating principle

The main components of the "electric cigarette" with a nicotine solution coated filter and an electric nebulizer to electrothermal
Evaporation of the nicotine solution. The steam is condensed through a mouthpiece inhaled, making the process of smoking is simulated. The technical details and the structure of the electric cigarette in the font Pate EP1618803 described in detail.

B. Mayer - Opinion Electrical cigarette / 2
Composition of nicotine solutions

According to patent EP1618803 are four different concentrated
Nicotine impregnated filter solutions offered. At the highest dose contains the Electrothermal vaporized nicotine solution 6%, the lowest dosage 0.1%. As an additive to solutions containing 80 - 90% propylene glycol (1.2-propanediol). Moreover, the solutions containing pharmacologically / toxicological negligible Quantities (! 5%) to taste substances and antioxidants. When inhaled quantitatively relevant ingredients and nicotine are consequently
Propylene glycol to evaluate.

Nicotine

Nicotine is the Hauptalkaloid in the leaves of the tobacco Plant (Nicotina tabacum). Pure nicotine is a colorless at room temperature, water-soluble liquid. The pharmacological effects of nicotine based on stimulation of nicotinic Acetylcholine receptors in vegetative ganglia (vegetative effects such as Increase of blood pressure and gastrointestinal motility) in the adrenal Mark
(Promotion of adrenaline) and in the brain (central disturbing
Effect). While the central disturbing effect on mental and physical
Nicotine addiction leads, based on the significant adverse health effect of nicotine on a sympathetic ganglia by stimulating effect
Constriction of blood vessels and resulting in arterial hypertension,
Thrombosis and significantly increased risk for myocardial infarction and Insult ischemic (stroke).

Propylene glycol

The binary alcohol propylene glycol (1.2-propanediol) is a colorless, with normal use non-toxic liquid. The substance is in many Foodstuffs, cosmetics, drugs and tobacco as an auxiliary substance. Canned food for small animals contains up to 13% propylene glycol. At the mentioned Applications propylene glycol is used as a preservative solution intermediary, Emulsifier or humectants. As a food additive it bears the name E 1520. Apart from allergic reactions caused by virtually all substances triggered may be slight irritation and the conjunctiva is propylene glycol toxicologically harmless. At the rat, the LD50 20-25 g / kg, according 1.5 - 1.9 kg/75 kg, so several orders of magnitude above the propylene glycol content
the "electric cigarette." The addition of propylene glycol is therefore current knowledge of toxicological as irrelevant to evaluate.

B. Mayer - Opinion Electrical cigarette / 3
Quantitative comparison with conventional cigarettes

Cigarettes contain up to 1 mg of nicotine per piece. At an average of 15 trains per cigarette are more than 0,067 mg of nicotine inhaled per train. Typical Substitution preparations containing 2 to 4 mg (chewing gum) or 25 - 100 mg (depot Pavement with continuous release of about 16 to 24 hours). The "Electrical Cigarette contains per tube (equivalent to 20 cigarettes or 300 trains) 1.05 - 1.1 g solution, but after use a residual volume of 0.15 - 0.2 g remains (Renatus Derler, personal communication), so that each tube about 0.9 grams Solution for inhalation available, the 0.9 mg (0.1%) to 54 mg (6%) Contain nicotine. At 300 trains per tubes are therefore 180 (6%), 120 (4!%), 60 (2%) and 3 g (0.1%) per train inhaled nicotine. The higher dose Solutions (6-2%) contain respectively as compared to commercially Cigarette nicotine comparable or greater quantities, whereas consumption the 0.1%-owned solution only 1 / 20 (5%) of nicotine in cigarettes contained quantity inhhaliert will. The "electric cigarette" should be the one strong Nicotine smokers sufficiently available, but by gradual reduction of nicotine yield an almost complete cessation possible.

Toxicological assessment of the "electric cigarette"

Due to the nicotine content must be like all forms of therapeutic
Nicotine substitution at the "Electric Zigarettte" the above
toxic effects of nicotine are taken into account. Like other nicotine replacement products is the "electric cigarette" thus youths,
Pregnant women, non-smokers and people with cardiovascular disease contraindicated. It seems essential that this information to the consumer in generally understandable and easily accessible form to convey (on a Leaflets and / or as text on the packaging). Apart from the nicotine content is the "electric cigarette" but as safely of toxicological assessed. Compared with the consumption of tobacco products Of 58,328 male cancer deaths in Germany in 1995 were 50 -- 70% by cigarette smoking causes, with the rate of larynx cancer
80% of lung cancer and 75 - was 90% (Becker, NJ Cancer Res Clin. Oncol. 127, 9-19, 2001). The main reason for the increased risk of cancer but also for other Sequelae of smokers (eg bronchitis and emphysema) is a unmanageable number of foreign substances used in the incineration of Tobacco Smoke (formation temperature of 850 - 950 ° C) and by pyrolysis of

B. Mayer - Opinion Electrical cigarette / 4

Cigarette paper can be formed. In the gas phase of tobacco smoke have been More than 500 chemical compounds identified in the particulate phase (condensate) more than 4000, including 69 carcinogenic substances and accepted a large number toxic, z.T. highly reactive substances (Marquardt & Schaefer, the textbook
Toxicology, Stuttgart, 2004). In the "electric cigarette is the nicotine solution Electrothermal evaporated, so that no active combustion takes place. In contrast to tobacco smoke contains
The inhaled steam therefore neither tar nor condensate or carbon monoxide. As with other nicotine replacement products is therefore no increased risk for above-mentioned diseases can be expected. In comparison to the consumption of tobacco products is the health risk of "electric cigarette" so much lower. From a medical perspective, the "electric cigarette" for smoking cessation
strongly recommended. Compared with other forms of nicotine replacement In comparison to other forms of nicotine replacement, the "Electric Cigarette "Several significant advantages. Particularly noteworthy is the better Dosed and thus adapt to the needs of the smoker. The rate of Nicotine release from custody preparations (patches) is not controllable, which chew of nicotine chewing gums often leads to unwanted peak nicotine plasma concentration
and related side effects (including violent, very unpleasant
Hiccup). The "electric cigarette", however, allows the exact
Adaptation of the nicotine dose to the current needs. Another advantage is the Availability of four filters with decreasing nicotine content. This allows Affected in the course of weaning a graduated reduction of nicotine dose. Finally, should also be mentioned psychological advantage, which I personally could convince. The "electric cigarette" simulates the process Smoking extremely "lifelike": it holds a (slightly oversized) Cigarette in hand, you can drag it creates a smoke-like steam and at the top of a red light to simulate the glow. Taking into account the Addiction behavior of smokers and their motorized needs ( "something in the Hands "and" something nuckeln "), this simulation of smoking as a major advantage over other nicotine replacement products. It is only
to fear that flight attendants and other caregivers in Non-Smoking
difficult to convince be that you do not smoke but this is only simulated.

Abstract
B. Mayer - Opinion Electrical cigarette / 5

Like other nicotine replacement products is limited to the toxicity of
"Electric cigarette" on the effects of nicotine. Because no combustion process takes place, eliminates the burden with other tobacco smoke contained especially toxic and carcinogenic contaminants. The health risk is therefore significantly lower than the consumption of tobacco products. Apart from Nicotine content is the "electric cigarette" as safe to toxicologically evaluate. In contrast to other forms of nicotine substitution allows the "Electric Cigarette "the exact adaptation of the nicotine dose to the demand. Availability four filters with decreasing nicotine content allows for a tiered Reduction of nicotine dose during weaning. The simulation of smoking Weaning should also psychologically better support than chewing gum or Plaster. For smoking cessation, the "electric cigarette" unreservedly recommended will. However, the product - like all other forms of nicotine substitution -- in adolescents, pregnant women, non-smokers and people with cardiovascular Diseases contraindicated. Moreover, the consumers in general understandable and easily accessible form to be informed.
Graz, 6 March 2006 O. Univ. Dr. Bernd Mayer
-----------------------------------------------------------------

www.CyberDude.Co.Uk

Nice find Cyberdude and thanks for that. Perhaps someone should contact Dr Mayer and tell him about our forum....

Thanks SmokeyJoe, I thought it would be a good one to show :)

Also, to answer your question, I found the guy, so you can contact him (if he still works at that university)!
Bernd Mayer

Kind regards,

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Good find Cyberdude.

The web address for this report mentions Ruyan so it might be safe to assume it was Ruyan eliquid that s/he tested. The report isn't very well referenced.

I'm not confident that this is a thorough analysis of esmoking risks, for one thing it says this - "propylene glycol (1.2-propanediol) is a colorless, with normal use non-toxic liquid." - With 'normal use' ... is vapourising and inhaling 'normal use'? It's certainly not something that has attracted much clinical study and Dow chemicals say it shouldn't be done. To dismiss it as harmless because it's food safe doesn't give me any more confidence in it as an ingredient in our eliquid. As toxicology reports go this one seems suspiciously positive to me, no concerns or further tests required ... maybe I'm just too cynical.

I wonder if the researcher is independent or was paid for this report.

Good find Cyberdude.

The web address for this report mentions Ruyan so it might be safe to assume it was Ruyan eliquid that s/he tested. The report isn't very well referenced.

I'm not confident that this is a thorough analysis of esmoking risks, for one thing it says this - "propylene glycol (1.2-propanediol) is a colorless, with normal use non-toxic liquid." - With 'normal use' ... is vapourising and inhaling 'normal use'? It's certainly not something that has attracted much clinical study and Dow chemicals say it shouldn't be done. To dismiss it as harmless because it's food safe doesn't give me any more confidence in it as an ingredient in our eliquid. As toxicology reports go this one seems suspiciously positive to me, no concerns or further tests required ... maybe I'm just too cynical.

I wonder if the researcher is independent or was paid for this report.

Thanks Kate!

Yes, it leads to all kinds of questions. I guess the main person to ask these questions to would be the doctor that wrote it. I don't even know if he speaks English, but you could write him an e-mail after converting it to German, as that is what the original source was written in and I know he would be able to understand it then.

If anyone e-mails him at mayer@kfunigraz.ac.at then please let us all know what you said and what his resonse is. It would be interesting to get a reply from a toxology expert in his field. Even better if he could join the forum and give constant advice...

I have attached a nice piccy of him from his Uni website, and it says he last updated his page on 26th Jan 2000...I wonder if he is still there or has moved on?

Attachments

• bernd.gif
    bernd.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 19

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
It's a good report to have found, thanks for posting it for us. The more scientific evidence we have the better.

I think I've been very cynical lately and I apologise. I really do think esmoking is probably safer and healthier but I worry that some people, particularly sellers are pretending they know for sure things that have not been medically tested.

It's a good report to have found, thanks for posting it for us. The more scientific evidence we have the better.

I think I've been very cynical lately and I apologise. I really do think esmoking is probably safer and healthier but I worry that some people, particularly sellers are pretending they know for sure things that have not been medically tested.

No problem, I hope to find more research docs like this and as soon as I do, you will all be the first to know about it.

No apology needed Kate, I think you and all of us have more than a right to question the safety of e-smoking especially as a user of it & after all, we only have one life and we can live longer and healthier by making the right choices for our health in every aspect or we can ignore known health issues and gamble hoping it won't affect us. I would say that real cigs are just that kind of gamble.

I really hope to stumble on some more recent research, as this one is over 2 years old, at the birth of e-smoking. Would be good to know the results of clinical trials from different countries and any testing they performed on groups of people.

Does anyone know of any countires that are testing it at the moment? Have a nice day!

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Cyberdude: I assume you know of Dr. Murray Laugesen's tests at Health New Zealand. He's the world's top researcher on this and is about to complete a year of clinical trials. His research is paid for by Ruyan, but he's a free spirit, and has written two interim reports that are "all clear" for the safety of e-smoking.

You might also know that Dr. Jim Loi has posted his trials in the Health forum. Dr. Loi frequents this site and contributes regularly. He is THE source for all medical issues. Forget Wikipedia and Web searches. You want Real World? Ask Dr. Loi of his experiences. Read Dr. Laugesen because his work will likely influence WHO.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread