Drilled my PT2 base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chew Magna

Jun 8, 2014
The Bluff
I've been severely underwhelmed with the PT2 with all it's issues. Crap coil, gurgling, pinched airflow. I've fixed the gurgling to an extent by flipping a seal and rebuilding the coil and wick, I've also fixed part of the airflow problem by compressing and trimming the silicone seal at the 510 pin (these things are very poorly designed, one of the heads had zero airflow out of the box). Still it just didn't perform well, muted vapor and flavor production. This thing just didn't hold a candle to my Mini PT2, even when swapping the exact same 0.8 ohm coil head between the two tanks. In another thread people mentioned that it's due to the fact that the PT2 has poor airflow. I thought I'd fixed that by trimming the silicone sleeve but it just wasn't enough.

So I thought, let's make a bigger hole.

It's much much better now. Flavor isn't quite there, but I'm attributing that to having a different coil in it at the moment (1.4 ohm vs the 0.8 I have in the mini right now).

I have no idea what size bit I used, it was the smallest in the kit we have and they aren't labeled. No other tools needed, just held the base with one hand and drilled with the other. Boom, done. Drills very easy and only takes a couple seconds.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've been severely underwhelmed with the PT2 with all it's issues. Crap coil, gurgling, pinched airflow. I've fixed the gurgling to an extent by flipping a seal and rebuilding the coil and wick, I've also fixed part of the airflow problem by compressing and trimming the silicone seal at the 510 pin (these things are very poorly designed, one of the heads had zero airflow out of the box). Still it just didn't perform well, muted vapor and flavor production. This thing just didn't hold a candle to my Mini PT2, even when swapping the exact same 0.8 ohm coil head between the two tanks. In another thread people mentioned that it's due to the fact that the PT2 has poor airflow. I thought I'd fixed that by trimming the silicone sleeve but it just wasn't enough.

So I thought, let's make a bigger hole.

It's much much better now. Flavor isn't quite there, but I'm attributing that to having a different coil in it at the moment (1.4 ohm vs the 0.8 I have in the mini right now).

I have no idea what size bit I used, it was the smallest in the kit we have and they aren't labeled. No other tools needed, just held the base with one hand and drilled with the other. Boom, done. Drills very easy and only takes a couple seconds.

The reason the PT2 has problems compared to the miniPT2 is
- the PT2 uses the 510 threads like most other tanks nowadays. The 510 thread is really a cigalike sized threading. 9mm. tiny holes in the threads
- the miniPT2 uses the eGo threads; 14mm diameter

Here's my PT mounted on the base from a miniprotank. An extra cap on top the atomizer head fills the gap inside.

302467d1391538435-hello-everyone-img_20140204_141115.jpg

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Ah I see now. I didn't even know those would fit together. :facepalm:

When you say you added an extra cap, do you mean the bowel shaped seal that goes over the chimney of the atomizer?
Yes. The miniprotank base fits but it doesn't go up inside the pt as much as the regular base goes, so the normal atomizer cap does not reach to chimney to seal it; so i add a second seal inverteed to cover the chimney otherwise you get gurgling and leaking

322234d1396504872-best-evod-set-up-today-img_20140403_headwithextracap.jpg

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Oh wow I see what you mean. Looks a little goofy on my VV v3.0 but it works like a charm! It's a game changer for the PT2, I'm diggin it!

and since the airholes are right outside you can close them if you want to with your fingers; that's usefull for priming the coil; plus you might as well drill out at least one of those airholes Big.

Chew Magna

Jun 8, 2014
The Bluff
Yes. The miniprotank base fits but it doesn't go up inside the pt as much as the regular base goes, so the normal atomizer cap does not reach to chimney to seal it; so i add a second seal inverteed to cover the chimney otherwise you get gurgling and leaking

322234d1396504872-best-evod-set-up-today-img_20140403_headwithextracap.jpg
Funny thing is I already run my PT2 with two seals like that. I saw in an anti-gurgle guide somewhere that it helps, and it does seem to.

and since the airholes are right outside you can close them if you want to with your fingers; that's usefull for priming the coil; plus you might as well drill out at least one of those airholes Big.
I actually already have one of the holes in the mPT2 drilled out. You can barely see it in the pic up there. It's the same size I used on the stock PT2 base.

Chew Magna

Jun 8, 2014
The Bluff
I must say that I'm quite pleased with my PT2 now. After doing my own coil, cotton wick with a flavor wick, running two seals and drilling the base (I am using the default base currently) I've yet to have a single gurgle or spit and I get great airflow, flavor and vapor. Not lung hit airflow, but still good. I couldn't recommend this tank to anyone out of the box, but if they're willing to tinker a little I say go for it. Although, I believe you can get better performing stock tanks for around the same price. I'd probably get another one just because they're readily available locally and the fixes are all easy, but if I wanted to wait for shipping I'd definitely order something different.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I must say that I'm quite pleased with my PT2 now. After doing my own coil, cotton wick with a flavor wick, running two seals and drilling the base (I am using the default base currently) I've yet to have a single gurgle or spit and I get great airflow, flavor and vapor. Not lung hit airflow, but still good. I couldn't recommend this tank to anyone out of the box, but if they're willing to tinker a little I say go for it. Although, I believe you can get better performing stock tanks for around the same price. I'd probably get another one just because they're readily available locally and the fixes are all easy, but if I wanted to wait for shipping I'd definitely order something different.

There's this:
1497902-2.jpg

RG500 5 ml glass protank style with metal jacket and changeable tip.
https://www.fasttech.com/product/1497902

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
ok three things worth mentioning here...

#1 drilling the air holes larger on kanger pt1, pt2 or pt3 base will NOT eliminate the airflow restriction within that flawed coil to base design...the only cure is to get rid of that flawed design. Running an ego base is one cure, but the best cure is replacing the base with an aero tank base.

#2 you dont need to run an extra seal when using a pt mini base on a pt2. I had also previously thought an evtra seal was needed, but i later discovered that the coil sits at exactly the same height in relation to the tanks tube.

#3 The even better fix is to run an aero tank base piece on your pt2. It will give you adjustable air flow and it also solves the choked off grommet problems that the standard 510 bases cause.

The reason ALL the 510 type pro tanks have the gurgle and flooding problems IS because of the choked off airflow caused by that grommet squashing outward and causing restricted air flow which in turn causes the head to vacuum excessive juice into the wicks thus flooding and gurgles.

The aero tank base piece can be purchased online or at some b&m's priced dirt cheap and well worth every penny. They fit all the kanger pro tanks...pt1, pt2 and pt3.

Say goodbye to flooding and gurgles forever.

hth

Kanger Upgraded Stainless Steel Original Aerotank Base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread