Dripbox 2 is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
I got tired of waiting on GeekVape to release their GBox S100 so I went ahead and ordered a Dripbox 2 yesterday from MyVaporStore as my first squonker. I have a Tobeco Velocity V2 but I noticed the included BF pin was not drilled all the way through. Luckily it was deep enough that I managed to get the rest of the way through with a 1/16" drill bit. I also have a Tsunami 24 with a BF pin. I'm wondering if I'll have much overhang with that one on the Dripbox 2?
The Velocity 2 clones, including Tobeco, have a removable hex plug for the BF pin. It may have looked like it wasn't drilled out properly, but it was just the plug. The V2 had the same feature, as do the clones. I use a V2 clone, not Tobeco, on my DB160 and has the same type plug.

Velocity V2 RDA Clone By Tobeco
"Please Note: The bottom feeding screw plug is preinstalled and should be removed using the included 0.9mm hex key for squonk mod compatibility."

velocity-v2-bf-rda-dripper-clone.jpg

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
Been following this thread for a while and guys correct me if I'm wrong: the DB2 has a problem with reading the battery and it consistently reads the battery's remaining voltage than it actually is. Accordingly if you're shooting for a wattage that the reading can't accommodate it screws up your vape until you put a fresh battery and then the cycle starts again after a while. If the above is true, how come the DB2 is still popular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Been following this thread for a while and guys correct me if I'm wrong: the DB2 has a problem with reading the battery and it consistently reads the battery's remaining voltage than it actually is. Accordingly if you're shooting for a wattage that the reading can't accommodate it screws up your vape until you put a fresh battery and then the cycle starts again after a while. If the above is true, how come the DB2 is still popular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I posted this a awhile back...

So for those who have a DB2 with the Funky Battery Gauge, what Battery Voltage does the DB2 Cut-Out at?

Because if it is just a Display Issue, then it is a PITA, but it Shouldn't effect the Hit you get.

But if the Mod thinks the Voltage of the Battery is Lower than it really is, then the Mod would do a Low Voltage Cut-Out sooner than it should.

business2091

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
KU
I wondered the same thing when I first got my V2 clone, but luckily I remembered reading a post about it. I've been using my V2 clone with a glass chamber, on my DB160 and like it quite a bit.

What chamber is it? If it's not too pricy I would like to grab one, too

This is why I posted this a awhile back...

Because if it is just a Display Issue, then it is a PITA, but it Shouldn't effect the Hit you get.

But if the Mod thinks the Voltage of the Battery is Lower than it really is, then the Mod would do a Low Voltage Cut-Out sooner than it should.

Looks like I'll be digging out my dusted voltmeter tonight!

business2091

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
KU
Finally found my voltmeter bought and storaged 7 years ago lol. Amazing it still has the battery and turn right on.

Anyway, the result is good for my DB2. I tested the battery after it shows 0 bar on my DB2 but not to the point of being cut off, although I can definitely feel the lack of power from the battery due to reduced heat and amount of vapor. And--- it reads 3.29V. I assume that it cuts off at 3.2V if I continue vaping to the point that I would not enjoy the vapor at all because there is too little vapor produced ;p.

Anyway, ~3.2V cutoff should be normal right? Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. But even so, I feel the battery life is not satisfactory. Therefore, I changed to single Clapton from dual (obviously needed!) and the battery life improved only marginally. Still have quite a bit of Clapton left, I'll probably switch to simple coils right after I use up the Clapton!

Sent from my Pixel

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Finally found my voltmeter bought and storaged 7 years ago lol. Amazing it still has the battery and turn right on.

Anyway, the result is good for my DB2. I tested the battery after it shows 0 bar on my DB2 but not to the point of being cut off, although I can definitely feel the lack of power from the battery due to reduced heat and amount of vapor. And--- it reads 3.29V. I assume that it cuts off at 3.2V if I continue vaping to the point that I would not enjoy the vapor at all because there is too little vapor produced ;p.

Anyway, ~3.2V cutoff should be normal right? Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. But even so, I feel the battery life is not satisfactory. Therefore, I changed to single Clapton from dual (obviously needed!) and the battery life improved only marginally. Still have quite a bit of Clapton left, I'll probably switch to simple coils right after I use up the Clapton!

Sent from my Pixel

A 3.2v Cutoff wouldn't surprise me at all.

And sounds about Right.

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
What chamber is it? If it's not too pricy I would like to grab one, too

They're pretty inexpensive, $2.44 for just the glass barrel or just $4.46 for the entire RDA(deck and glass barrel)
$2.44 Replacement Glass Tank for Velocity V2 RDA at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$4.46 Velocity V2 Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel + glass / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

The clone version I got was a kit that had both SS and glass barrels
$8.23 Velocity V2 Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I really prefer the flavor with the glass barrel and it's kinda fun to watch when you squonk. It's a bit more airy than I normally like, no AFC since it's glass, but once I got used to it, I love it. The glass barrel was a bit too loose, the included o-rings are a little too thin. I just replaced with others that I had and it's a perfect fit. I also had to raise the coils a little to get the airflow to hit them just right.

The glass barrel really improves the flavor, imo.

Reactions: business2091

business2091

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
KU
They're pretty inexpensive, $2.44 for just the glass barrel or just $4.46 for the entire RDA(deck and glass barrel)
$2.44 Replacement Glass Tank for Velocity V2 RDA at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$4.46 Velocity V2 Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel + glass / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

The clone version I got was a kit that had both SS and glass barrels
$8.23 Velocity V2 Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I really prefer the flavor with the glass barrel and it's kinda fun to watch when you squonk. It's a bit more airy than I normally like, no AFC since it's glass, but once I got used to it, I love it. The glass barrel was a bit too loose, the included o-rings are a little too thin. I just replaced with others that I had and it's a perfect fit. I also had to raise the coils a little to get the airflow to hit them just right.

The glass barrel really improves the flavor, imo.
Wow many thanks for the info. Months ago I looked for glass tank briefly but cheaper ones required drilling and the compatible ones ported from the other RDA (Trinity now I recall) were too pricey. $3 is almost too good to be true. I'm ordering some right now!

On a separate issue, does anyone know how safe the OEM squonk bottle is for liquids that are known to break plastic tank? I've been using grapes, apples, etc that breaks plastic tank but haven't had issue with the squonker bottle, so this question is purely out of my curiosity. I assume this plastic is different from carbonate plastic used for hard tanks?

Sent from my Pixel

Reactions: Roadtrip635

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
Got my Dripbox 2 a couple days ago. I am most definitely a squonk convert, I love having the flavor of a RDA with the convenience of a RTA. Unfortunately, I kind of ordered it on impulse, so I did not find out about the battery issue until after it was ordered and shipped. It's really a shame that this device has this problem because everything else is great. Like most others, I charge my 18650s externally, with this device I think I'm just gonna keep a battery in there and charge through the device (good thing the charge port is in a nice accessible location), no use in removing a battery that's actually 75% charged over and over again. I wouldn't say that I regret the buy, the question of if I like squonking has been undoubtedly answered, but this will definitely be an at home device, I will be ordering a CoC Wraith soon for on the go use (and also because I now realize that one squonker isn't enough haha).

business2091

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
KU
Got my Dripbox 2 a couple days ago. I am most definitely a squonk convert, I love having the flavor of a RDA with the convenience of a RTA. Unfortunately, I kind of ordered it on impulse, so I did not find out about the battery issue until after it was ordered and shipped. It's really a shame that this device has this problem because everything else is great. Like most others, I charge my 18650s externally, with this device I think I'm just gonna keep a battery in there and charge through the device (good thing the charge port is in a nice accessible location), no use in removing a battery that's actually 75% charged over and over again. I wouldn't say that I regret the buy, the question of if I like squonking has been undoubtedly answered, but this will definitely be an at home device, I will be ordering a CoC Wraith soon for on the go use (and also because I now realize that one squonker isn't enough haha).
Why not try their customer support for replacement? I've had great support on my DB160 (scratches and shaking mod) and KBox (bad 510) and they replaced without asking more than 2 questions. Kanger seems to have opened a CS center in Georgia so the shipment was fast. You just need to fill out a support form on their website.

Sent from my Pixel

Reactions: nocigsnomore

kbriggs

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
www.briggsoft.com
Why not try their customer support for replacement?

Kanger has yet to even admit there is a problem, let alone fix it. So there's nothing to replace it with. And their customer service is MIA due to the CNY holiday. There have no new posts allowed in their online forum since January 20.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I was just looking at the Dripbox 2. I just found out about about a week ago. I really want a VW squoker!

But, I see it's still a bit big (although not as big as the 160). And, I'm hearing it has some problems with batteries?

So, is it worth it or not? Recommendations?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I Dunno?

I thought that Maybe I would get used to the Size of the DB2, but I didn't. I think I am Spoiled by my DripBox 60w/Pico Squeeze and CopperVape.

The DB2 does/did what I wanted it to do. And a Funky Battery Display I can Live With. And it Didn't Cost an Arm and a Leg. It's just a Tad Too Big for me.

kbriggs

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
www.briggsoft.com
And, I'm hearing it has some problems with batteries?

The battery indicator on the DB2 shows 5 bars when fully charged. On mine once it drops to 3 bars (which it does rather quickly) it starts outputting less and less voltage (which you can see on the voltage indicator while firing) from what it should based on the wattage setting and Ohm's law. When it gets to 1 bar, my Nitecore charger shows it to still have over 3.7 volts remaining (i.e., over 50% charge remaining). I tried posting my experience in the Kanger forums several days ago but so far they haven't approved it. Smells like a coverup.

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
I was just looking at the Dripbox 2. I just found out about about a week ago. I really want a VW squoker!

But, I see it's still a bit big (although not as big as the 160). And, I'm hearing it has some problems with batteries?

I really like my DB 60w and most Kanger stuff given the price. I wouldn't normally do this but, given the issues I'm reading about with the DB2 here I'd recommend the hcigar vt inbox. It's twice the price of the DB2 but, has a DNA 75 inside, optional panels, smaller, lighter, and wide enough for 24mm atties.

FDA BOC

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
When it gets to 1 bar, my Nitecore charger shows it to still have over 3.7 volts remaining (i.e., over 50% charge remaining). I tried posting my experience in the Kanger forums several days ago but so far they haven't approved it. Smells like a coverup.
The way a mfg looks at it is most people seem to change their battery @ or about 3.7v so this is no surprise!! Then again, what do you want from a cheap Chinese throwaway device? If you want something that works as it should you need to shell out more money on something of quality... Besides, Kanger doesn't care as everyone will buy their products because they are cheap and that is what the average consumer really cares about anyway!!

kbriggs

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
www.briggsoft.com
The way a mfg looks at it is most people seem to change their battery @ or about 3.7v so this is no surprise!!

No, because if you take that battery out at that point and put it in another single battery mode, it will be closer to 50%. The indicator is the lesser problem. The fact that it cannot maintain a static voltage for very long is the big issue. And I've got lots of cheap Chinese devices (including other Kangers). None of them do this.

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
I really like my DB 60w and most Kanger stuff given the price. I wouldn't normally do this but, given the issues I'm reading about with the DB2 here I'd recommend the hcigar vt inbox. It's twice the price of the DB2 but, has a DNA 75 inside, optional panels, smaller, lighter, and wide enough for 24mm atties.

FDA BOC
This is just about exactly what I decided as well. I like both my DB60 and DB160, but reading the issues helped sway my decision to get a HCigar Inbox as well. Both my DB's cut off at about 3.6v, so not surprising to hear about the DB2.

The VT Inbox was, for me, worth the extra money. I have other HCigar and DNA mods and have been very pleased, so their squonker was an easy choice. I got mine for around $65 at FT during one of their sales, which is a good price for a DNA-powered squonker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread