Driving, Airbags, Vaping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
My first e-cigarette (a penstyle) came with a manual that said not to use the product while driving. I did not see this caution in subsequent purchases of other models of e-cig's.

Accidents happen, airbags inflate and an e-cig has the potential to break your teeth and be rammed into the back of your throat or be pushed out of your hand and become a projectile potentially injuring any back seat passenger.

I'm only posting because knowledge and personal risk assessment is key for anyone making the decission to either vape or not vape when driving.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
its weird that you made this post....i had to drive from new jersey to virginia and back yesterday and spent time preparing my e-cigs for the day.

while driving i couldnt help but think what if i got into an accident while i was vaping? i thought of the same things...except for it being a projectile :)

Yeah, and besides that, vaping at 80mph might interrupt texting. :D

Skad

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Biloxi, MS
I usually smoke my ecigs pointing down, so it's unlikely I'd be impaled with it.

Many years ago, back when airbags were not ubiquitous, and I certainly couldn't afford a car with them, I was in a crash while smoking an analog cig.
After all the chaos died down, I realized that I had no idea what happened to my cig. I found it melted to the plastic on the door, sticking out at an odd angle. Still no clue how it got there.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
It just depends on how careful you want to be to ease your own mind. I travel for a living, so I spend half my life on airplanes, and in rental cars. In the car, I have my passthrough plugged into the lighter socket, and my e-cig on the console. I take a hit every now & then.

The chances of getting into an accident while I take an occasional hit?? Who knows? I figure it's just a chance like anything else.

Here's a small list of things to wonder about if you have an accident.
1) Puffing on your E-cig.
2) Talking on your cell phone.
3) Drinking hot coffee.
4) Putting on eye make-up (I've seen this many times.)
5) Finger up yer nose. (You could stab yer brain.)
6) Programming your GPS.

tinear

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Florida, U.S.A.
got it covered... disabled my airbag.

j/k. you have a serious point that i hadn't considered before, though i have heard several of the urban legends concerning SRS's.

which begs to offer another observation... always use seat belts as well. you could just as likely impale yourself hitting the steering hub if not more likely than if an airbag hits you.

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
I'm glad for all the interest in this post. I felt morally responsible to post it having read the 1st manual, and thinking of when I was young and had little ones in the back seat...I wondered if I would have thought about the dangers... would I have recognized the e-cig, or a pen, or a cellphone, or coffee as a potential projectile??? ...And, then, I worried because honestly, I think I never would have recognized the danger in any of them. And, had something happened, I never would have forgiven myself...

Me, personally, I'm in the same boat with everyone else... it's nice to be able to enjoy a vape while driving.... I guess what I do is assess the risks...conjestion of traffic, weather, road surface, time of day, available lighting on the roadway,...
and, like Jim D related, keeping it lower than airbag height secured between the seats when not taking a puff. Not holding it in my hand longer than necessary.

I hope people give this post a "bump-up" every once in a while so that buzy moms will see it. I really don't think I would have recognized it. Heck, I didn't even think of hot coffee as a threat to a back seat passenger until Jim D posted it, and my mom frequently sits in the back seat while we're drinking coffee. (From now on I'm going to ask for some ice in mine.) Thanks, Jim D for pointing that out.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
If you really analyze it, there are dangers all around. You want to be safe while driving, especially with kids in the vehicle, but you *don't* want to get totally paranoid. One of my daughters-in-law is the paranoid type, and I've actually observed her doing things that were incredible. I'm surprised she didn't get killed a few times.

There's a limit to safety. Overstepping it will become dangerous.

Oh hell.... I'm a child of the 50's. Dad's car weighed over 2 tons, and had no seatbelts, steel dashboard with all the protruding knobs, and cranks. If he stopped fast, he'd throw is arm out to keep me from going through the windshield, as I was standing on that huge bench seat next to him.

We had a television that weighed 300lbs, and sat on a TV tray. And I'm still here, and healthy.

Bottom line is, s**t happens - keep safe, but don't over do it.

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
Monkeymonk, I was thinking about you safty issues and what the odd were for them happening, which I decided were low untill I remembered all the CELL PHONE users that I see driving like idiots everytime I drive 6 miles to ths shopping center. They drive like drunks and are a hazard to everyone. In fact they may be worse than a drunk, the drunk knows he is drunk and trys to avoid detection and drives a as careful as he/she can. Cell phone users mind are in outer space.

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
I try to give myself awayvery often . I can remember things that most people never heard of and some of them are in cartoons, such as the outhouses, smokehouse (for curing meat) not smoking cigs that was out back of the outhouse and drawing well water out of the well. Believe it or not these things were around in the 50's along with 300 lb TVs and outside antena that were 30 or 40 foot high and cars the size of a sherman tank.

ShimmyPrincess

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
The Windy City
5) Finger up yer nose. (You could stab yer brain.)

Haha...I find the people with their fingers up their nose while talking on their cell and eating cheeseburgers, don't have a brain to worry about :p

I find its my mission in life to tell drivers talking on phones that their car is not a phone booth (big pet peeve of mine)

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
I was reading a story on the net a couple of months ago about things you've seen other people do in their cars, and if anyone wanted to admit they've been a bonehead.....

The story that sticks out in my mind is these kids were doing a cross country for some reason (I think a concert), they were worried about being late, so instead of stopping to switch drivers as one got tired, they actually set the cruise control and swapped drivers at 80mph!:shock:

After that, I thought my morning cup o joe and vape weren't that bad...

ShimmyPrincess

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
The Windy City
Oh hell.... I'm a child of the 50's. Dad's car weighed over 2 tons, and had no seatbelts, steel dashboard with all the protruding knobs, and cranks. If he stopped fast, he'd throw is arm out to keep me from going through the windshield, as I was standing on that huge bench seat next to him.

We had a television that weighed 300lbs, and sat on a TV tray. And I'm still here, and healthy.

Bottom line is, s**t happens - keep safe, but don't over do it.

LOL, that's called the soccer mom arm save.
I remember getting in the back window and begging my dad to hit the brakes flying off onto the seat...oh, good times ;)

We had a TV on a TV tray too and I was his "remote control"

GermanGoodness

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2009
Federal Way WA
Haha...I find the people with their fingers up their nose while talking on their cell and eating cheeseburgers, don't have a brain to worry about :p

I find its my mission in life to tell drivers talking on phones that their car is not a phone booth (big pet peeve of mine)

You're makin' me feel bad, Shimmy! Since I'm often on the road for my job and it also requires me to be on the phone, I'm one of those cell-phone talking drivers...

HOWEVER, I always use my bluetooth ear piece and will tell someone to "hold on" if I see a potential dangerous situation. I haven't held a phone to my ear since bluetooth came out about 5 years ago. Can't stand holding it, can't stand wires (wired headsets) and our state passed a law about a year ago that drivers on cell phones must use a hands free device.

But yes, I do get irritated at the idiots I see driving and holding a phone to their ears. And there are still a lot of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread