dry burning atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
There is a bit of an art to this, rather than it being an exact science. It really relies on a good solid power source - either a manual USB pass through, or a large battery model.

Assuming a standard resistance atomiser, personally I tend to use a 5v pass through and apply short pulses of power - a few seconds at a time, and shortening the pulses as it gets cleaner. Or I do it on a 3.7v mod with a large battery, with longer burning time. Note, you should not use 5v on any low resistance atty, it will destroy it pretty quickly. What you are looking for is for the coil to glow uniformly (without any dark patches). But critically, you do not want any part of the coil to overheat to the point that it gets "white hot". If it overheats it will break.

Often I find part of the coil has a thick layer of dirt and takes much longer to burn off, while other parts clean up pretty quickly - and can start to over heat and glow near white. This is why I do short bursts of it. Stop before it overheats, allow to cool for a few seconds and then re-apply power. At first a lot of smoke will be released as the crud burns off. As it gets cleaner, the smoke should reduce, and the coil should glow much easier.

As a general warning you will most likely kill a few atty's doing this. I take the view that if they weren't performing well anyway, it's no great loss, but just to warn you it might kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread