Dry / harsh itchy throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Hello guys,

I'm having some difficulties with my rebuildables - Kayfun 3.1 HCigar and the Mutation X. I feel like I can't get the cotton right - for a while, I was packing it too tight and after removing it from the coil, it was either much dryer than the surrounding cotton or it would be super dark - almost burnt looking. So, last night I rebuilt my coils and used significantly less cotton. I lightly twisted it, leaving some fluffiness and pinched the end. There is a very slight resistance when pulling through the coil.

I made sure to align the airholes. The coils aren't touching the floor or the posts. I pinched it together and looks neat. I used very little cotton on the Kayfun, enough to lay against the post and touch the base - without obstructing the juice wells.

Any ideas? I really think it's a wicking issue. It's a weird cotton like dryness in my throat. I did start DIY eliquid but I've steeped the one I'm using for weeks and it's been awesome up until lately. I'm using organic cotton from Amazon - 3 pack.

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Pictures. Here's what it looks lik3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415190244324.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415190244324.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 81
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415190261066.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415190261066.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 85

lamarrk

ECF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama (Rocket City), USA
30 minutes ago I put a new wick on my Russian 91 and the previous cotton wick was almost black (and saturated with juice). That's normal for a coil that's been in place for a while. When I rinsed the wick, it was white again with no burning.

Regarding the dry itchy throat, could your nic level be a little too high (especially on the .3Ω coil)?

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
Don't twist the cotton at all except the end, just for a handle. Just pull off what you need and feed it through.
This.

Try to keep the fibers long and straight and just twist the tip so you can thread it through. Peel away stray fibers that aren't going in the same direction as the other fibers. This is a big deal in the kayfun since the wick has to transport liquid up to the coil and the wick is rather short.

Problem solved =) I also think my nic is a little high at 5mg while sub ohming.

Off topic but what rda do you guys recommend? I really like my mutation x with 1 hole open on each side. I want max flavor, dense and tasty. I'm thinking the veritas and magma clones from fasttech.
Both are great for flavor. Veritas for no leaking at all, but harder to build than magma. If you're experienced building go veritas. If not, magma is right up there. Also changing your pg/vg ratio can really help your itchy throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread