Dual battery mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

HemiHonda

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Arizona
I just started using a dual battery mod by smok...G-PRIV. I also use their Big Baby Beast tank with their 0.2 ohm coil. I'm really happy with it. I was a MTL for years and started doing direct lung hits a year ago. How safe do you think these dual battery mods are? I'm running it at 70w and don't see myself going any higher. I'm using LG HG2s, married, purchased together and charged together. I've been vaping for years and truly never saw myself going down the cloud chaser road, but here I am. I've done my research, but safety has always been my number one. Just want to hear the communities opinion. Thanks.

Reactions: David Wolf

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
A G Priv with 2 good batteries like the HG2's is more than up to the job of running that tank at 70W. Even higher if you prefer (at the expense of run time and tolerance for a hot vape). The mod is a solid one. I have an Alien and the performance is excellent, although I rarely go as high as that. But I would have no worries if I did.

HemiHonda

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Arizona
A G Priv with 2 good batteries like the HG2's is more than up to the job of running that tank at 70W. Even higher if you prefer (at the expense of run time and tolerance for a hot vape). The mod is a solid one. I have an Alien and the performance is excellent, although I rarely go as high as that. But I would have no worries if I did.
I appreciate the reply. I do love the set up.

Reactions: Eskie

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I just started using a dual battery mod by Smok...G-PRIV. I also use their Big Baby Beast tank with their 0.2 ohm coil. I'm really happy with it. I was a MTL for years and started doing direct lung hits a year ago. How safe do you think these dual battery mods are? I'm running it at 70w and don't see myself going any higher. I'm using LG HG2s, married, purchased together and charged together. I've been vaping for years and truly never saw myself going down the cloud chaser road, but here I am. I've done my research, but safety has always been my number one. Just want to hear the communities opinion. Thanks.
Sounds like you know what you're doing. How safe is it? I stick with low power MTL vaping, one battery, on a regulated mod and believe that's safer. Everyone has to make their own decisions. I think the risks go down when you're educated about batteries (you appear to be), don't charge overnight and use a good charger in a safe place, use a well regarded regulated mod and vape as low a power as they are satisfied with to minimize battery stress.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
A good quality 20 amp CDR (which you have) is good for 60 watts per battery. So you could safely go to 120 watts should you wish.

At the G-Priv's rated 220 watts you would be putting yourself at serious risk, as you would be pulling 35 amps from each battery when they were discharged. Under continuous load at 25 amps they reach 100 centigrade, so you can imagine what 35 amps would do. I'm not suggesting that you will, but rather that it highlights the stupidity (in my opinion) of a two battery 220 watt mod.

LG HG2 20A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...a great 20A battery!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
A good quality 20 amp CDR (which you have) is good for 60 watts per battery. So you could safely go to 120 watts should you wish.

At the G-Priv's rated 220 watts you would be putting yourself at serious risk, as you would be pulling 35 amps from each battery when they were discharged. Under continuous load at 25 amps they reach 100 centigrade, so you can imagine what 35 amps would do. I'm not suggesting that you will, but rather that it highlights the stupidity (in my opinion) of a two battery 220 watt mod.

The 60W per battery is a nice simple number when using more than 1 battery in a mod (actually, good for a single battery mod too). The wattage wars have created some truly exaggerated claims. My Alien is rated to 220W, and it might do it for a second. But come on, even 133W or 167W on a quality board like a DNA MIGHT be possible, but exceeds my safety zone.

Next up, 400W and 4 batteries.:facepalm:

But as sonicbomb points out, even 120-130W on that mod with a decent battery should be fine.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I just started using a dual battery mod by Smok...G-PRIV. I also use their Big Baby Beast tank with their 0.2 ohm coil. I'm really happy with it. I was a MTL for years and started doing direct lung hits a year ago. How safe do you think these dual battery mods are? I'm running it at 70w and don't see myself going any higher. I'm using LG HG2s, married, purchased together and charged together. I've been vaping for years and truly never saw myself going down the cloud chaser road, but here I am. I've done my research, but safety has always been my number one. Just want to hear the communities opinion. Thanks.

You're about as safe with that setup as you can possibly be :thumb:

Vape on HemiHonda.

HemiHonda

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Arizona

I couldn't agree more, I would never push it to 220...don't really see myself going over 70w, maybe 75w. I really never thought I would ever vape at 70w, so I'm stopping there, lol.

Reactions: David Wolf

HemiHonda

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Arizona
Sounds like you know what you're doing. How safe is it? I stick with low power MTL vaping, one battery, on a regulated mod and believe that's safer. Everyone has to make their own decisions. I think the risks go down when you're educated about batteries (you appear to be), don't charge overnight and use a good charger in a safe place, use a well regarded regulated mod and vape as low a power as they are satisfied with to minimize battery stress.
Thank you, I've always considered myself a safety first kind of person. It was about a year ago I discovered Smok and loved the direct lung hit. I used to be a MTL for years and vape at 15w max. I'm forcing myself to stop at 70w to 75w now.

HemiHonda

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Arizona
I run that exact same set-up and have settled in at 66 watts with no worries. I also on occasion put my full TFV8 on it and run it at 120-128 watts, but short term with fully charged batteries if that makes any difference.
When I purchased the device I looked for coils that I knew I wouldn't vape over 80w. I love the mod, we'll built, it's a solid device. Thanks for the information.

Reactions: OlderNDirt

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Thank you, I've always considered myself a safety first kind of person. It was about a year ago I discovered Smok and loved the direct lung hit. I used to be a MTL for years and vape at 15w max. I'm forcing myself to stop at 70w to 75w now.
I think that's the biggest factor, keeping safety in mind first, never carrying loose batteries in your pocket, using the right batteries for your coil, etc. even a bigger factor as to whether single battery low power vs dual batteries high power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread