Not open for further replies.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
I received my Tobh RDA clone today.

I'm new to RDA/RBA having built about 4 coils on my Kayfun Lite (with success for the most part with just a boo boo or 2).

I'm having some problems getting both coils to fire. If I build it single coil it works like a charm (1.4 ohm), but when I connect both coils it doesn't want to fire properly.

I'm using 28 gauge kanthal with about 8-9 wraps. I connect the leads through the negative posts and shared leads through the positive post. I suspect I'm not connecting it correctly but any advice or how tos is appreciated.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA

I'm using 28 gauge kanthal with about 8-9 wraps. I connect the leads through the negative posts and shared leads through the positive post. I suspect I'm not connecting it correctly but any advice or how tos is appreciated.

8-9 wraps of 28g on a 3/32 drill bit, .09375 inside diameter of coil, will give you 1.3-1.5 ohm coil. If you use two of them in your RDA that will lower the ohms to .6-.7 ohms. Does your Mod support using a below 1 ohm coil resistance.

Take a picture of the coils mounted in the RDA with no wick installed and post it to this thread so we can see what it all looks like.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA

I'm new to RDA/RBA having built about 4 coils on my Kayfun Lite (with success for the most part with just a boo boo or 2).

I'm having some problems getting both coils to fire. If I build it single coil it works like a charm (1.4 ohm), but when I connect both coils it doesn't want to fire properly.

Hey brother I'm guessing that either:
-You posts aren't tightened enough (or one wire is making more connection that the other, this is rare though)
-the distance from the coils to the posts (the connecting "legs") are different between the coils, I messed this up when I started building all the time lol
-your coils aren't wrapped very evenly (if one has more gaps between coils, or all of your coils aren't laying next to eachother, one will steal more current than the other coil). You either want the coil wraps to be completely spaced, or completely touching.

~Here's a video I made recently on the tobh clone (by tobeco) :D, if you skip to 17:52, I'll show you a coil wrapping method that's SOOO much better, it's really easy to keep them tight with this method too!

Other than those common problems I listed above, like shootist said, if your no using a mechanical or dna30 mod, your battery device could have some trouble powering dual coils.

(I bought a Trident RDA when I first got interested in dripping, and I only had a big ego batter, and it was so disappointing to find out that I basically couldn't dual coil with it because it didn't have the current, or the power. Dual coils = double the amp rating needed, even a vamo or provari would have trouble with dual coils of that size, but if that's the problem, then they should glow evenly (if your coils/connections are good) but slooowly).

Let me know if this helps man, good luck, nothing more annoying than finding out a build doesn't work lol.

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
Yes

More wraps equals higher resistance

Are you trying to fire it on a mech or a regulated mod with low amp limit?

If it's on a mech then the post screws need to be tight and the spacing and length of the leads to the posts should be a close to identical as possible. It will still fire if they are a little off but you'll get a more even firing if they are similar. Sounds like you're on the right track though. Tighten the negative leads first on each coil and leave the positive for last. When you finally tighten the positive and begin adjusting your coils, go back and tighten the post screws again. They sometimes loosen a little after coil adjustments. After you have made sure they are secure then you can do the final tweaking of the coil and should pulse fire it to make sure all is good.

a quality mech mod, 26g A1 Kanthal & a 30amp Sony 18650 VTC4 or 5 is the way to go with an atty like the Tobh in my opinion.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
More wraps will up the ohms... do I have that correct?

Still reviewing the advise above but wanted to confirm this.

Yes the more wraps, which equals a longer piece of wire, will increase the ohms.

Kanthal has a certain resistance per inch/foot of wire. Thinner gauges have more resistance per inch/foot than thicker gauges.

page22-kanthal-a1-wire-resistance-chart.jpg

HeiSINberg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Groveville, NJ
Yeah I was gonna say, sometimes those screws back themselves out and you'll find that they wont heat up equally. But tightened down too much and you'll snap the wire, which isnt good either. And the higher the resistance the longer it will take the coils to glow, once you go lower, if you desire, they will glow pretty quickly. Less wraps less resistance, more wraps more resistance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
both coils firing now, but take about 5 seconds to glow :(
ohms reading 1.1
If you're firing it on a provari you're pushing the amp cut off for that device @1.1
The provari would also explain why it's taking a bit longer to heat up. You would be better off building a 2 to 3 ohm coil for the provari. That way you'll be able to run a broader range of voltage without pushing the amp limit on a regulated device.

Just my .02

joecarroll42

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Virginia
I appreciate all the info all... I'm running it single coil for now and will continue to experiment with different wraps and gauge wires.

The airflow is a lot more than I expected. Very airy even on the lower settings!

I bought the Tobh too, and have had problems with it as well. The main problem being that I don't like it. Lol. It's draw is way to loose for me, I'm not a cloud chaser and don't need air intake the way this thing has. I was looking at the Igo-W when I got the Tobh, and wish now I woulda saved some money and got the Igo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugerRob

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2014
Buford, GA
Have the Tobh Atty in .22mm on my Nemesis and also have a Ehpro Tobh .28mm on the Hades.

1st. Download Vaper's Toolbox for your android phone/device. Great Tool for New Builders.

After a few builds with dissapointing results I finally came up with a simple build that is working amazing for me! I'm running dual coils with 26ga kanthal wire with 5 wraps on a 2.4mm mini screwdriver this give me .3 to .35 ohms. (Basically this would give you the coil coverage of a 10 wrap single coil).

I run cotton wicks through the coils and tuck them under the coils neatly. Then I take two very very small pieces of cotton and cover any deck space that is left uncovered. (do not use too much cotton). I leave the all three air holes open and make sure they are aligned to where the airflow goes directly on the coil.

Once built the vapor production and flavor are AMAZING. Love how the top comes off to allow me to drip and keep the cotton nice and wet but not over filled and coming out the air holes.

Ran the same build on the 28 mm and the side of the drip well below the coils is HUGE on this thing and I can put around 20-25 drop in it and vape for what seems like forever on the 26650 mod before filling it again.

After the initial hassles and finally getting a good build on the tobh I'm thrilled with them...

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
Have the Tobh Atty in .22mm on my Nemesis and also have a Ehpro Tobh .28mm on the Hades.

1st. Download Vaper's Toolbox for your android phone/device. Great Tool for New Builders.

After a few builds with dissapointing results I finally came up with a simple build that is working amazing for me! I'm running dual coils with 26ga kanthal wire with 5 wraps on a 2.4mm mini screwdriver this give me .3 to .35 ohms. (Basically this would give you the coil coverage of a 10 wrap single coil).

I run cotton wicks through the coils and tuck them under the coils neatly. Then I take two very very small pieces of cotton and cover any deck space that is left uncovered. (do not use too much cotton). I leave the all three air holes open and make sure they are aligned to where the airflow goes directly on the coil.

Once built the vapor production and flavor are AMAZING. Love how the top comes off to allow me to drip and keep the cotton nice and wet but not over filled and coming out the air holes.

Ran the same build on the 28 mm and the side of the drip well below the coils is HUGE on this thing and I can put around 20-25 drop in it and vape for what seems like forever on the 26650 mod before filling it again.

After the initial hassles and finally getting a good build on the tobh I'm thrilled with them...

I have a tobh on my copper nemi as well.

Not to get off track on the thread but how much extra room does the 28mm tobh clone have for wick & coil placement relative to the AFC tabs? The only little grip I have with the 22mm tobh is the centered tabs for the AFC. I have to position the negative side of my coils a bit closer to the negative posts than I would like in order to get the coil right where I need it on the AFC. I find that chokes off that end of the wick a little since mine needs to either be turned under at a slightly sharper angle or pushed out, around the post between the wall. That end always gets the wick darker and tar like after a couple days of vaping. I'm guessing the fact that the wall is closer too may add to residual heat being dissipated slower on that end. I like the room of the 28mm and my Hades may need one too.

My tobh and Magma are my favs right now. The Magma beats my Tobh for flavor but my Tobh is no slouch in the flav dept.and chucks the vapor at .4-.5 ohms. Both are the easiest builds I've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread