dual coil, sub ohm, rda...problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
STL
alright guys. still new to all this. so i have a k101, aw 18650 and igo-w4. simple enough. no ohm meter so i stuck to single coils and cotton to make sure i dont blow myself up. today, i got an ohm meter and 2 sony 18650 vct4. decided to charge one of the batteries and try a sub ohm build. wrapped 28g kanthal around a 21g needle, approx 11 wraps. made sure all coils were nice and tidy by eye. put the atty on my ohm meter. .45ohms. nice i thought since the battery goes down to 2 ohms. battery finally charges (using xstar mp15) until green light. im happy. like a kid on christmas morning. put the atty on the k101. put the battery in the k101. put the vapesafe fuse thing in the mod. screw it all together. give it a test fire. no blowing up. yay. so i go to pulse it out and make the coils tight. heres where the problem is, i engage the battery and without moving my hand, it stops sending power. i do this a few times, making sure everything is screwed correctly and such. every test fire, it will send current longer to the point where now the coil starts to get red hot. the current still shuts off on its own but now it takes a bit longer, about 7 seconds.

is this a common thing? should i be worried? ive tried to do a bunch of research before attempting a dual coil sub ohm build but dont remember coming across this. maybe the battery just needs to be broken in?

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
STL
So I jumped the gun and made a nano dragon (i think that's what its called) and fired her up with some nice melons from fuzion. Omg. So hard, so hot. Got a half second pull and almost died. Lol. So I guess its working.

I guess I need to drill out the holes a bit? Tried both mouth to lung inhale (bad idea) and straight lung inhale (worse idea).

Any opinions?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

el Jexican

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
Drill out the holes a little bit, maybe start with 1/16 and go up from there. Make sure the air holes are directly in front of the coils. You can also try a dual coil with five wraps around a 5/64 drill bit/screw driver, should give you around .4-.5ohms with 28 gage, micro coils are my go to set up.

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
yeah, i was gonna say what scarey said. haha. i think the fuse was tripping. if im not mistaken and if my memory serves me correctly, the smok vapesafe fuse (not sure if thats the one you have) trips at 7amps.

with a .45 ohm build on a freshly charged battery, youre pushing ~9.3 amps. with the battery at 3.7v output, youre still pushing ~8.2 watts.

with the vtc4 batteries that you have...i, personally, would feel comfortable with removing the fuse. i mean, thats what you bought 30A batteries for right? why use a fuse? hahaha.

but, to each his own!

hope you figure it out!

EatBacon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2010
Wherever the ARMY sends me
I have found that with a lot of people I have talked to when they switch to a higher end or better atty with a sub ohm set up they will go down in the nic level in their liquid. They have stated it keeps the flavor but enables them to lung hit and reduces the TH hit as well. I'm a straight up Mech vaper so I cannot comment on the volts and watts thing. good luck

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
STL
yeah, i was gonna say what scarey said. haha. i think the fuse was tripping. if im not mistaken and if my memory serves me correctly, the smok vapesafe fuse (not sure if thats the one you have) trips at 7amps.

with a .45 ohm build on a freshly charged battery, youre pushing ~9.3 amps. with the battery at 3.7v output, youre still pushing ~8.2 watts.

with the vtc4 batteries that you have...i, personally, would feel comfortable with removing the fuse. i mean, thats what you bought 30A batteries for right? why use a fuse? hahaha.

but, to each his own!

hope you figure it out!

i do have the smok vapesafe. never thought id trip it though. i guess i figured it self adjusted to the battery for some reason. lol. i had it out of habit from the stock (aw) battery. ill try without it the next time i rewick to see if i can duplicate the problem.

I have found that with a lot of people I have talked to when they switch to a higher end or better atty with a sub ohm set up they will go down in the nic level in their liquid. They have stated it keeps the flavor but enables them to lung hit and reduces the TH hit as well. I'm a straight up Mech vaper so I cannot comment on the volts and watts thing. good luck

I heard the same thing and i was vaping on 16mg (with a protank3) and ive been stocking up on samples (i think all are 6mg because that seemed more common than 8mg and i wanted a common denominator when testing different flavours).

as i dont own a drill, im going to steal my buddys in the next few days to make the holes bigger to see if i cant get it better tuned for me.
this is my first attempt with drilling air holes but my plan was...
1. drill out hole to make slightly bigger
2. clean then put on the atty
3. vape test
4. loop steps 1-3 until im satified.
5. make note of final size so that i can use it as a reference in later rda's
does that seem like a solid plan? or should i skip to a certain size and start there?

btw, thanks for all the help guys, i appreciate the information and opinions and hope that i can help someone out like this in the future (after i gain more knowledge and experience)

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas

but, to each his own!

hope you figure it out!

Please do double check your math! Also, fresh off the charger you are pushing 3.9v, not a huge difference, but it does add up!
3.7v at .45 ohms is 8.2 amps at 30.4 watts. 3.9v at .45 ohms is 8.7 amps at 33.8 watts.
And yes, OP, you are tripping the fuse, it's rated for 7 amps.

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
Please do double check your math! Also, fresh off the charger you are pushing 3.9v, not a huge difference, but it does add up!
3.7v at .45 ohms is 8.2 amps at 30.4 watts. 3.9v at .45 ohms is 8.7 amps at 33.8 watts.
And yes, OP, you are tripping the fuse, it's rated for 7 amps.

In that last part I meant ~8.2 AMPS, not WATTS.

My mistake! Thanks for the correction!

I think It's all this late night browsing, when I SHOULD be working. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusif

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Denmark
So I jumped the gun and made a nano dragon (i think that's what its called) and fired her up with some nice melons from fuzion. Omg. So hard, so hot. Got a half second pull and almost died. Lol. So I guess its working.

I guess I need to drill out the holes a bit? Tried both mouth to lung inhale (bad idea) and straight lung inhale (worse idea).

Any opinions?

Drill the airhole to about 3mm and try out a kissing nano dragon build... Its really smooth with a gentle TH and you dont have to make another airhole
Jusr make a forum search i made a guide for it a few days ago

Vamo vivi/protank
Kts+ igo-w 0,7

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    Using a fuse with the battery for subohm vaping isn't a realistic expectation.

Use the proper battery and dont exceed its limits, and you'll be fine.

When you use the ohms law calculator to find out the amps you're going to be drawing from your battery, set the battery voltage to 4.2v. Thats what a fully charged battery holds. Now, yes, there is some drop, so you wont be getting exactly 4.2v to the coils, but for the point of being sure your coil build is safe, go with 4.2v on the battery. I use this calculator if Im building at home, Watts - volts - amps - ohms conversion calculator and I have an app if I need to build on the go.

Also, yes, you definitely need to drill out the airholes. You cant subohm on those tiny airholes. I cant even imagine trying it, the throat hit and heat would be insane.. akin to a dry hit.

Most of my attys havent needed drilling, they mostly have adjustable airflow. The Patriot is the only one with non adjustable airholes, and they're on the smaller side, but still acceptable. If it was my only atomizer, Id have drilled it day 1. but since Ive got a bunch of others with big airflow, I like having something that is on the tighter side.

In terms of Millimeters, 1.5 is on the line of still kinda too tight lung hits, but kinda open for mouth to lung. 2mm is a lung hit with solid throat hit. 2.5mm is a good lung hit. 3mm is a great lung hit. 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3, are commonly found on adjustable air flow atomizers. Usually they have 3 choices. If it were me, knowing its for subohm, Id start with a 2mm airhole. Not too open, but its definitely a lung hitter.

cantstopwontstop

ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2013
    cary,nc,usa
    Just wanted to give my 2cents on the battery you got...They're AWESOME! Those are what I've been using and they are really nice. You would be fine taking out your fuse, with it sub ohm build are more than likely not going to work. Those batterys last a while with my .5 ohm builds and they also hit hard.

Best of luck!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    You do know Sub Ohm starts at .999 right?
    You don't have to slam it into the basement on the first try.

Actually you should Not do that until you have figured out everything including power clipping issues and Proper Air Flow.
    Air Hole SIZE and ALIGNMENT make a major difference in performance.

I run my Trident at .85ohm - Dual Dragon coils and 2x2mm holes
    It does not suck the battery down, gives good flavor and Billows clouds when I want. I can also take a more normal 4-6 second draw without worrying about knocking myself off my feet.:D

Jawden

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 14, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Okay, so now that I now what subohm is like. (under .6) I'd like to find better flavour. Is there a preferred setup for taste? It will be used on my rda. Preferably with 28g kanthal and cotton

I have a .4 dual coil in my patriot clone and I get great flavor with stock dual air holes. And with almost the same build in my trident I'm getting .35 dual coils with dual 1/8" air holes and I'm getting loads of flavor with that too.

May I ask what your setup is now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2013
    STL
    I'm using a nemi clone, igow4, protank 3 dt. Coil is at .5 or .6 (I can check at home) dual nano coil using 28g kanthal. Organic cotton wrapped around the coil, like in most dragon nano coil setups. Airholes drilled to 2mm each. I get flavour but nothing like a clearomizer. I have no experience with other rebuildables. The vapor is great but lacking flavour.

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2013
    STL
    switched to micro coil (both on a 1/16 5/64 drill bit)...same problem. still around .6 .7 ohm. im getting good vapor but not a lot of flavour? how should i change this to get better flavour? ive tested multiple juices from multiple vendors and same outcome. just very muted. another change, i tried threading cotton through the coils instead of around the coil (like a dragon wick)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread