dual coil, sub ohm, rda...problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
switched to micro coil (both on a 1/16 5/64 drill bit)...same problem. still around .6 .7 ohm. im getting good vapor but not a lot of flavour? how should i change this to get better flavour? ive tested multiple juices from multiple vendors and same outcome. just very muted. another change, i tried threading cotton through the coils instead of around the coil (like a dragon wick)

How much cotton did you use when wicking your coil?

I honestly don't know what else it could be. I'm sure someone here probably could tell you though.

Maybe your coils aren't covering enough surface area? Idk.

Currently, I'm using 28g twisted kanthal. From what I understand, twisting the wires reduces the resistance but also allows you to cover more surface area to produce better flavor and vapor.

I tried twisting wire a few weeks into rebuilding and have pretty much stuck to it. Micro coils and nano coils just don't do it for me. But I mean to each his own. Haha. I guess this is a possible suggestion to maybe to give twisted wire a try...??

Hopefully you figure it out tho.

If nothing works. Maybe vapers tongue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
STL
idk about vapor tongue, its been like this since i started trying a rebuildable and when i use a protank3 on a vv mod, i can taste normal.
ive tried my regular cotton amount, less and more than regular too make sure i wasnt putting too much or too little cotton.
ive tried covering my bases to figure out the problem but no solutions yet.
i assume you are twisting 2 wires in your build? would you mind explaining your coil and wick build and possibly supply pictures if its convenient for you. i may try this soon if i cant get something going first

if all else fails, im going to my local b&m (elite vaporworks) and get their opinion on it all

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
STL
7 wrap. 1/16th drill bit. 28g kanthal. .92ohm.
5e9ugy3a.jpg

Wicked and juiced
8y4e4a2y.jpg

Test vaping...

Vapor - 6 of 10 (definitely there but nothing crazy)
Throat hit - 6 of 10 (maybe I've been chain vaping too much tonight or its just a good warm hit)
Lung hit flavour - 4 of 10
Mouth to lung hit - 5 of 10 (more than a lung hit but nothing strong)
Flavour used was monster from killer juice. I think its a 60/40 mix but I may be wrong.
I did tests with both air holes open and covering the further hole to make sure to cover bases.

All in all, not terrible. I get slight flavour (like previous builds). I'm sure I'm getting the nic which is a major factor in helping me not smoke analogs. I will also try to vape a buddy's pt3 tomorrow to make sure I can still taste and am not affected by vapers tongue.

Thanks for all the help guys, hopefully I can get a good setup soon because I really like the idea of drippers over clearomizers
I hope to test tomorrow with another flavour or 2 to see if results are better.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
STL
My nic level is 6mg on everything. I find its the most common amount around 5 to 8 because I was told when you drip, half the normal amount of nic and I was at 16.

So I was bored at work and I was getting a bit more flavor than last night so I came home and decided to re coil. I did 9 wrap. 28g. Dual coil. .59 ohm. Wicked It up. Possibly a bit too thick. Soaked up.

No flavour. Well, hardly. Ill try with less cotton and try again. Kind of dry throat hit. Decent cloud.

Will update soon

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
weezymagic, from your pictures I think your airflow is missing the coil. Your coil is low, close to the deck plus it's on an angle to the outside diameter of the atty. Mostly though I noticed that it's low. If the airflow is not on the coil you will have reduced flavor and vapor production.

Try placing the coil right in the airflow and see if that helps. Doesn't matter how long the coil legs get. Here's what I do with my Trident at 0.5 - 0.6 ohms combined to maximize flavor:

2wd0bur.jpg

rhrfhs.jpg

The Trident has high air holes so my coils are higher than I think you would want in your IGO.

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
STL
Upon further review, they are a bit high but that seems like in the flow of air so its probably not bad?
With the fresh cotton, the taste is vague. Idk if I could guess the flavour other than fruity if I didn't know. Strawberry banana btw. I've tasted this exact bottle in a pt3 and taste is soo much better.
Not going to lie, this is rather frustrating and I'm really hoping to get this right because I don't want to go back to smoking and I've heard all the raving about taste with drippers.
Blah. Atleast I'm getting nic

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yes, I think thew air flow couldn't be better than what you made.

You've tried everything with this dripper except higher resistance using thinner wire. I tried that early on in my RGA/RDA travels and didn't like it, but that was me and is only true for me. I do not however remember better flavor. I'm stumped on this one.

I have a Rocket from Fasttech, a Kayfun clone. They have better than that now in Kayfun clones but that was I believe all they had when I bought it. That gives me more intense flavor than my AGA-T, IGO-L, Trident or various cartos and clearos. It takes a while to get one from FT, but there are US vendors that you can buy from for for around $35 to $40 I think.

That's all I've got.

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    Have you tried silica and regular spaced coils?

I personally dont really like micro coils, and I like cotton even less.

I can build a nano dragon setup, throw vapor in thick clouds 8 feet in front of me, but the flavor is bunk.

Whereas, if I use my preffered 3mm Silica, 24, 26 or 28gauge wire, 3 or 4 wraps, make it a dual coil.. Not only do I get huge clouds, but the FLAVOR, is incredible. However, I cant lie.. A nano compressed coil like the dual nano dragon, WILL put out more vapor. Not flavor though, In my opinon.

My most used build:

3mm Silica, tripled over. I fold it, but it's the same as taking three strands of 3mm. IPve gotten very comfortable working with just the amount of silica Ill use on the atomizer, but when I first started, I would use more to do the build, than trim what was needed.

28gauge Kanthal

3 wraps

Do this twice

Make sure that the coil is tight, but not choking the silica. Make sure that the coil, should you overdrip, will not sit in a pool of juice.

Dry burn to ensure both coils heat up pretty much evenly with the other one(slightly faster on one is OK, but a big difference is not)

Add juice, vape your face off.

This will give anywhere from .32 to .41, depending on the spacing of the coils, and the connection of the atomizer. I find, done right, .35 is where it most often lands. So make sure to use a proper battery.

Now if you like this style of coil, you might try some ribbon of equal resistance. Ribbon wire is great for flavor IMO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread