Dual VS Single Coil-Did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
I was proud. I finally built a dual coil .8 on my magma. Until I realized it's just a battery killer and juice drinker. I went back this morning to a single coil at 1. ohm and it heats up faster, plenty of flavor and vapor, like before. Why all the hype about dual coils? Did I miss something? A memo?:laugh:
I can't imagine how much juice you guys go through with the ones even more complex. Like twisted, quads, etc...your juice bill must triple!
This is with my new Hana V3{new to me..bought from classies}
I was running the dual at 20 wts. Went down to 15 wts with the single, and to me it's just as good.

Last edited:

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
It's all up to personal preference and how the coil is built... I run parallel coils at 0.3 ohms. I use two strands of 28g Kanthal twisted together for each coil. Heats up quick and makes pretty good vapor with awesome flavor... that's on my mech though... parallel coils are better for mechs to me (It's the best way to get the resistance down, cause when the coils are parallel your total resistance is half the resistance of the individual coil resistances added together. This gives you more surface area for the coil at a lower resistance)
For regulated mods, like my Tesla (15W max) dual coils are a bit harder because each individual coil would have to be around 3.6 ohms to get the total resistance up to 1.8 ohms... you have to use really small (32g) wire to get a 1.8 ohm dual coil build for that mod... (It won't fire below 1.7 ohms or something like that)

Long story short, single or dual, triple or quad, it's all up to you... find what works best for you, what makes you Happy, Happy, Happy and go with it...
But yeah, on my dripper, I go through juice like crazy... I just ordered 200ml and I'll probably go through it in less than a month... LOL

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
IMO, you are comparing apples to oranges.

In your dual coil build, you are effectively running two 1.6Ω coils at 10 watts a piece. In your single coil build your are running a 1.0Ω coil at 15 watts.

If you want to see a true comparison of single vs. dual, run two 1.0Ω coils (for a total resistance of 0.5Ω) at 30 watts. I bet you notice the difference.

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
I have 2 magma builds.

One at 1.5 ohms 1x coil for my VS rDNA and one at 0.8 ohms 2x coils for my mechs.

I have options and I enjoy using my mech mods.

There is no right or wrong way in this particular case. Use what you enjoy and suits your personal taste.

That's one of the fantastic things about vaping . . . Options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread