E-book reader users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheep

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I have a Sony PRS-300 and I love it. Donated the majority of my paperbacks a week after I got it. The e-ink based displays are the best for reading. LCD screens, like the Colour Nook, can be hard on the eyes after a while. I've also discovered a cheap android tablet makes an acceptable e-reader, and is great for comics and pdf's.

BlackMetalBuick

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sheep, you touched on two things I was thinking about. Are most of these products able to read PDF and basic text docs, or do they force you to use proprietary file types?

I've also seen some of those Android tablets before and was considering that too. But would those then just be a standard LCD setup again? Hard on the eyes etc.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
BlackMetal, you didn't ask me, but I got my wife a Kindle for xmas. It can read pdf and txt file formats, along with DRM free Mobi and kindle formats along with the DRM kindle format. We both have iPhones and read with them a lot, the backlit screen is hard on your eyes, but I have three readers for my iPhone so can read pretty much any format. The kindle seems to be easier on the eyes though and of course the screen size is better for reading... but time will tell.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
@CES: Your link in post #5 returned ...
Precondition Failed

The precondition on the request for the URL /wiki/Main_Page evaluated to false.
They seem to be picky about how you enter their site. I guess they don't like to be hyperlinked to?

This works ...

http://www.gutenberg.org

It's not a link ... copy/paste into browser.

Last edited:

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Might also check out Barnes and Noble's Nook reader.

From what I understand, the Kindle requires you to purchase books only from Amazon, while with the Nook, you can purchase from numerous sources, including being able to check digital books out of many libraries! You can "check them out", they appear on your Nook, and two weeks later, they disappear (you return them).

Nook also has a "lend" feature, which allows you to lend books you've purchased and read to friends who also own a Nook. Again, two weeks after the date you lent the book to them, it disappears from THEIR Nook, and reappears on yours! (No need to remember to ask for your book back!)

Step into a local Barnes and Noble, and you can read ANY digital book they sell, while in the store, for up to one hour!

Nook has some advantages over the Kindle and Sony, and, of course, those have some advantages over the Nook. Read some reviews of the three major book readers, then see which one fits your style best!

nicadd

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2010
Germany
If you have a program called Calibre, you can convert anything into Kindle format, so it's no hassle.

Also, if you live outside the US, a Nook is a useless purchase, since you can't get B and N books without a US mailing address.

That's why I've had a Kindle II for a little over a year now. Kindle format books are available at a number of sites, and Calibre is very easy to use to convert other formats. The best things about e-book readers are instant gratification (provided you go with the 3G type), saving space at home (I donated hundreds of books after getting the Kindle), portability, free books and samples. I've also got a Kindle for Android app, but don't like to use it for lengthy periods because it's hard on the eyes, unlike the Kindle itself.

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
One thing that's very cool with the Nook (probably works the same with the Kindle) is, I have a Nook and an Android phone.

There is a free Android app for the Nook. When I read on my Nook, and, say, read several chapters, as soon as I open the Nook app on my Android phone, it knows where I left off reading on the Nook, and opens the book to that spot! If I read on my phone, and several days later open the Nook, it opens it to where I left off on my phone!

Pretty clever!

Cassie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Missouri, United States
I had an Augen TheBook for a bit and loved it, but my mom wanted it and I wanted an android tablet so I gave her the Augen and found a tablet. Big mistake. The battery life on the android tablets seem to be crap compared to ebook readers. And getting decent apps that work right is a pain as well. I just wasn't impressed with the android tablets at all and want a normal ebook reader again =( My tablet just sits and collects dust and it's only 3-4 months old tops. I would love to find someone to trade off with that actually likes Androids LOL I wish I could afford an iPad, but that's not happening LOL

frequentj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
I have a Kindle, and I love it. It does read pdf format. I also use Calibre for converting books to Kindle format.

EDIT: I guess I should mention I also have the kindle app on my Droid and my laptop. That allows me to read whatever is on my Kindle and keeps track of where I left off on the other devices so I'm on the correct page.

frequentj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
All I know is I got my wife a kindle for xmas, had to get her a case, and a light, AND she has read three books on it since the kids have left a week ago!!! This is turning into a expensive gift! :) but she is happy. She like reading with it a lot more then her iPhone as her eyes do not get tired.

Haha, I also ended up getting the cover with the light. Think of it as protecting your investment. Some of my buttons had started to get the writing rubbed off and I had a small scratch in the corner. No more since buying the cover!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread