Travel and Vaping E-cig made smoke detector on airplane go off

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxconv91

Mar 31, 2010
California
FYI,

I went to the restroom on an Air France Flight on an airbus A380 and the vapor made the smoke detector go off. They asked me if I was was smoking and I said no and they smelled it and agreed with me (Probably smelled sweet) but just be careful. I was scared and got a way with it but keep the vapor from the detector and you should be good. Just putting the info out there for everyone, it could have been very bad for me and I was lucky. I did go back to the rest room and blew the vapor towards the ground with no further issues. I assume it detects O2 levels not smoke so be smart. This was a 11 hr flight and I vaped in my seat and restroom with just the one incident. It would be nearly impossible to prove I was vaping but this could have made this a PITA for my travel.

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
Give this some thought... smoking and vaping is prohibited on commercial airlines pretty much worldwide.

On US flights... it's a $3000+ fine for smoking/vaping in the bathroom. $2000+ for getting caught in your seat...

Most of us are nicotine addicts here... A pack of Nicorette lozenges is about $20...

Which would be the smarter way to go?

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
If one needs to vape on a plane, don't do it in the restroom..

Vaping in your seat is the safer bet... be discrete, don't vape a tobacco flavor, use the double-inhale & hold-it-in method that's been mentioned earlier in this thread (practice before you fly)... Leave your Innokin CoolFire 2 at home, and don't use your cloud-blowing stuff on the plane

Exhale any possible vapor under a blanket, under a jacket, down your shirt... Window seats and night flights make it that much easier

You're not supposed to vape on US domestic flights -- but it can be done discretely

Just don't be stupid about it... :)

EDIT: Make sure you shut off the overhead lights first... And having the overhead air nozzle open helps push down any possible vapor, as well

Last edited:

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
It's probably best not to vape on an airplane, just out of common courtesy.

Common courtesy of what -- not sticking something in your mouth?

It's very possible to exhale zero vapor (even with 100% VG) when using the double-inhale method & holding it in for 10 seconds... In fact, I did it just now, in direct sunlight..

Again, not saying everybody should be vaping on the plane or in an airport, since there are potential consequences.. But should one decide to, it is quite possible to do so without any repercussions, as well

Risk & reward... :)

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I just flew to Boston and back on JetBlue and they specifically mentioned electronic cigarettes as not being allowed. I flew United to San Francisco a few weeks ago and there was no mention.

I don't even vape in the bathroom of a plane because several years ago the fire alarm went off because of a fog machine at a Halloween event where I worked. The Fire Marshall came (along with several trucks) and was Not. Pleased. That was the last year we got to have an over-the-top Halloween decorating contest. Because of that I know smoke detectors will detect vapor, so I don't vape anywhere it might set one off.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
FYI,

I went to the restroom on an Air France Flight on an airbus A380 and the vapor made the smoke detector go off. They asked me if I was was smoking and I said no and they smelled it and agreed with me (Probably smelled sweet) but just be careful. I was scared and got a way with it but keep the vapor from the detector and you should be good. Just putting the info out there for everyone, it could have been very bad for me and I was lucky. I did go back to the rest room and blew the vapor towards the ground with no further issues. I assume it detects O2 levels not smoke so be smart. This was a 11 hr flight and I vaped in my seat and restroom with just the one incident. It would be nearly impossible to prove I was vaping but this could have made this a PITA for my travel.

Good to know ... Especially since Air France is one of the best flight experiences I've ever had, and the food was actually very good, so I would love to fly with them again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread