Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I'm trying to find information about the period of time and the frequency of news regarding 'deaths from vaping' dominated so heavily.

It would be great if there were some visual chart that would show the intensity of the topic in the news. I'm trying to determine how long from the first instances of Vitamin E acetate suggested as culprit until the news media and the CDC came clear with the information and the innundation let up.

Given an appropriate set of data regarding news frequency, etc. I may be able to create a chart.

What thoughts do you have to share on that matter?

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Earliest suggestion/media report I remember came out of California; was about the same time the CA MJ test lab reported finding the fungicide (the one that turns to hydrogen cyanide). This was followed by a CA pulmonologist stating vitamin E acetate had no business in the lungs. Dr Seigel followed with a write-up up on vitamin E acetate within a couple weeks. Then there was some media discussion on the two forms of vitamin E (one heals, one kills...). This was followed several weeks later by the CDC's initial mention of vitamin E acetate. My memory says it was 4-6 weeks from initial media reports until the CDC mentioned. And much, much longer before they gave it any weight. Certainly a damn long time when people are dying.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Myclobutanil, the fungicide claimed to turn into hydrogen cyanide, has been in use with cannabis crops since it’s introduction back in the early 90’s. The media took said claim out of context and instead of doing any research, exploited the hydrogen cyanide threat. Even without the use of Myclobutanil, combustible cannabis still produces hydrogen cyanide, but at acceptable levels that were established by the U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. The levels of hydrogen cyanide from combusted Myclobutanil is even lower. tobacco also produces hydrogen cyanide when combust and Myclobutanil is illegal to use on tobacco crops.

I do not know when Vitamin E Acetate was introduced to THC cartridges. Some say as far back as 2016/17 but at levels below 20%. In 2019 there was an apparent cannabis shortage so illicit producers used much higher percentages of Vit E Acetate to extend their product. This higher percentage (>50% and as high as 90%) is what resulted in the lung outbreak which to my knowledge was first identified in Illinois and Wisconsin as early as April of 2019.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread