e-cig waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorcity57

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
I'M RIGHT HERE
I looked for a proper place for this post, here is where I landed. I hope it gets a lot of views.
I have been vaping a long time. never have I seen e-cig waste collection. now more than ever , with the rise in e-cig use, and the advanced technology , and the drop in prices of the dispoables . all those battery's need to be recycled, I think every e-cig store-front retailer should have recycle bin for e-cig waste.
thank you for reading

chrisf8657

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
Phoenix, AZ, USA
It's basically like electronics waste. All the computers, cell phones, etc. end up somewhere - usually a landfill. Only a small fraction is diverted for recycling.
At this point for e-Cigs, nothing is being diverted. I totally agree the batteries can be recycled, the atomizers can be rebuilt, etc. etc.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
My local Radio Shack gladly takes my unwanted batteries. But now that I think about it I'm not absolutely certain what happens to them after that. They claim to recycle them (or dispose of them in a safe manner), I just have to trust them.

I always trust Radio Shack :blink:

cheers ;)

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
What makes me sort of trust them is that the first time I walked in with a bagful of batteries they didn't even bat an eye and acted like they knew exactly what to do with them. It was apparent there was a procedure.

don't get me wrong ... like RS ... they are good at what they do.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
I've used local electronic stores for battery disposal but I agree the vape shops should have a recycle bin. One thing they need to consider is safety of collection, each battery should be wrapped/protected individually so there is not a chance of batteries shorting out on each other.
That's very true. When I have unloaded mine I put each one in an individual Ziploc (you know, a vaper tends to have a neverending supply).

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
European Union has regs in place. Fellas who sold you the battery are obliged to take 'em too after they're worn out. Don't matter if its online or offline.
Any shop where batteries are sold usually have a bin where you just drop 'em in. You're not even supposed to dump then in the regular household garbage because sme of the chemicals in them aren't too healthy for the environment.

Heard that technology for recycling lithium batteries is still in its infancy but with continued proliferation that may change soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread