E-Cigarette Clinical Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfjardine02

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Hershey
FDA website, Oct 6, 2011
"Because clinical studies about the safety and efficacy of these products have not been submitted to FDA, consumers currently have no way of knowing whether e-cigarettes are safe for their intended use,
what types or concentrations of potentially harmful chemicals are found in these products, or
how much nicotine they are inhaling when they use these products. "

Now you may say this statement is not technically accurate, and should have the word "consumers" deleted, and the word "FDA" inserted, but the reality is that FDA have been given the role, in law, of ensuring the safety of various products. So, if you want that statement to change, an e-cigarette company needs to provide them with "clinical studies about the safety and efficacy of these products." If an e-cigarette company has done so, lets hear about it. If not, they should get on and do so.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Do manufacturers of tobacco products have to carry out clinical trials of their products?

Where would it be possible to locate the clinical trial results of cigarettes, oral tobacco, and dissolvables? E-cigarettes are in this class legally, and are a consumer product, which are never ordinarily the subject of clinical trials. Why would they be?

That is not to say that extensive testing of various kinds both could and should be carried out on ecig-related products, but it is not normally a requirement to have clinical trial results available in order to sell beer or tobacco - or is it? I apologise for my lack of knowledge here.

If it is necessary to hold clinical trials to sell beer or tobacco, then the FDA's pronouncements are entirely justified. But if it is not necessary then it adds to the weight of argument that the FDA are doing everything they can to reduce or eliminate sales of e-cigarettes. This is demonstrably against the interests of public health, which they are in theory supposed to be protecting.

jfjardine02

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Hershey
Rolygate, you are correct that e-cigs are now classed as tobacco products and that tobacco products are not required to show clinical trials. I totally agree with that point. (There are some clinical trials of some tobacco products, but thats a different issue, and your central point is valid). But given that some studies already exist in the literature comparing the effects of e-cigs with those of cigarettes, and these show lower delivery of nicotine and toxins (e.g. CO), and lower physiological effects (e.g. HR) than from cigarettes, why not make their day and submit a dossier making the point that as these products are classed as tobacco products and do not make health claims, the most appropriate clinical study is not a clinical smoking cessation trial but a lab study showing these are less addictive and toxic than cigarettes, and here is what we have so far. However, I think the case against e-cigs also becomes far weaker as soon as there is a decent clinical trial showing that a nicotine-delivering e-cig helps more smokers to quit than a zero nic e-cig and the Nicorette Inhaler. Then reasonable people are going to have to look at that and say, "mmm...far lower toxin delivery than cigarettes, AND seems to help smokers quit better than or as good as an existing approved product (without any signs of serious adverse events)...why are we in a rush to ban such a product?"

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello everyone...

Roly. In answer to your question 'Do manufacturers of tobacco products have to carry out clinical trials of their products?' Of course not....and the FDA does not conduct clinical trials in and of itself.....meaning that they only oversee what the scientifc community submits to them in terms of what is being studied and the results and they also monitor that they are within whatever legal boundries and laws that have been set.

It works like this.

A scientist or university applies to receive funding of a particular study pertaining to mostly where the medical community interest lies. Usually a scientist says ' I have ?? I would like to study and here are my credentials and here is where those studies will be conducted.....

I have put this on the simplest level only because the entire process of deciding what and whom will get funded is an extemely long one and can take several years from start to finish.

Now to my point.

I think the way to get their attention is through the health benefits of those who have given up cigarettes. Unfortunately, when the statics show that less money is being spent in terms of hospital stays, less people developing terminal illnesses, and not having to buy all the drugs associated with same, is when they will start to pay attention.....

It is always about the money.....I think the ruse of pretending to care about the general public health is the curtain they hide behind. Think about the amount of revenue that is generated from smoking cigarettes and all of the medical bills that it generates. It funds governments, doctors and drug companies... and they are not going to give that up easily.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
......... I wonder if you happen to have links to some of those joint signed letters to the press?

Here are some links. There appear to be two letters described, and various related incidents. Sorry I haven't filtered them, there are many duplicates, perhaps some have better/different information from others. But to be honest the web is littered with various allegations about the FDA and it would be a project in and of itself to collate them.

In fact, on the Talbot Scale of research grant funding valuation, I believe it would rate about $1.5m at the very least.

FDA Scientists Ask Obama to Restructure Drug Agency - WSJ.com

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/cert-fda-letter-to-the-president-4-2-09-and-trans-team-1-7-09.pdf

Print Page - FDA Scientists Claim Massive Corruption

Former FDA Scientist Claims Radiation Concerns Were Suppressed | NewsInferno

Scientists' Letter Claiming FDA Corruption Is Authentic

Science Overruled on Emergency Contraception | Union of Concerned Scientists

FDA Employees Say Agency Isn

http://documents.foodandwaterwatch.org/FOIA-FWW-GEsalmon-letter-FDA.pdf

National Whistleblowers Center - FDA staff calls for end to corruption, wrongdoing

National Whistleblowers Center - Letter from FDA Scientists to President Obama

Criticism of the Food and Drug Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Whistleblowers Center

FDA Whistleblowers and Insiders Allege Corruption

http://www.drbriffa.com/2009/04/20/...it-of-corruption-wrongdoing-and-intimidation/

FDA 9 Letter Letter to President Obama 4-2-09 FINAL Redacted

FDA Scientists Accuse Agency of Corruption, Intimidation

FDA scientist says she was reprimanded for warning - USATODAY.com

http://www.thegraysheet.com/nr/FDC/SupportingDocs/gray/2009/011209_Lettr2transitionteam.pdf

FDA employees balk at ban on agricultural pursuits
[this recounts the ultimate irony - only some FDA employees aren't allowed to be corrupt...]

FDA scientists allege mismanagement at agency - CNN

Chantix Recall: FDA scientists say their agency is corrupt and broken | Beasley Allen

F.D.A. Scientists Accuse Agency Officials of Misconduct - NYTimes.com

FDA Scientists Describe Corruption to Obama Transition Team

Letter from FDA scientists read during Sebelius hearing :: “The Silver Sheet” :: Elsevier Business Intelligence

Political Lobbying Drove FDA Process - WSJ.com

FDA Scientists Revolt Against Corrupt Food and Drug Administration Officials

Scientists Accuse FDA of Corruption

CORRUPTION JUST CONFESSED BY FDA SCIENTISTS

FDA letter of Corruption

Innocent Casualties: The FDA's War Against Humanity - Elaine Feuer

15 Disturbing Facts About the FDA | Masters in Health Care

ShowArticle - Seeds of Deception

Institute for Responsible Technology - Quotes from FDA Scientists

The FDA Approval Process: Dangerous Devices - Proto Magazine - Massachusetts General Hospital

We Like It Raw - Raw Food Goodness: Federal Scientists call the FDA out on corruption. FDA corrupt? You don't say!

Should We Trust the FDA?

Déjà Vu Strikes FDA Scientists As Feds Rebuff Complaints Again - Medical Device Now

http://www.yourmilkondrugs.com/

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
Rolygate, you are correct that e-cigs are now classed as tobacco products and that tobacco products are not required to show clinical trials. I totally agree with that point. (There are some clinical trials of some tobacco products, but thats a different issue, and your central point is valid). But given that some studies already exist in the literature comparing the effects of e-cigs with those of cigarettes, and these show lower delivery of nicotine and toxins (e.g. CO), and lower physiological effects (e.g. HR) than from cigarettes, why not make their day and submit a dossier making the point that as these products are classed as tobacco products and do not make health claims, the most appropriate clinical study is not a clinical smoking cessation trial but a lab study showing these are less addictive and toxic than cigarettes, and here is what we have so far. However, I think the case against e-cigs also becomes far weaker as soon as there is a decent clinical trial showing that a nicotine-delivering e-cig helps more smokers to quit than a zero nic e-cig and the Nicorette Inhaler. Then reasonable people are going to have to look at that and say, "mmm...far lower toxin delivery than cigarettes, AND seems to help smokers quit better than or as good as an existing approved product (without any signs of serious adverse events)...why are we in a rush to ban such a product?"

Actually the biggest barrier to clinical trials IS and always has been the FDA. The whole reason Ruyan contracted to HealthNZ and not a health organization in America is because Institutional Review Boards can not approve human studies.

See the Joel Nitzkin (Chair of the Tobacco Control Task Force for the American Association of Public Health Physicians)

It literally goes something like this.

Ruyan - We want to sell this product in America
FDA - Well you need to conduct safety testing
Ruyan - Okay, we'll do that
FDA - Well, you can't conduct testing here, our testing guidelines prohibit this
Ruyan - Fine, we'll do it in NZ
FDA - Oh we didn't tell you, it has to be done in America
Ruyan - But we tried that, your guidelines prohibit Institutional Review Boards from approving our research
FDA - We can't permit you to test the product without safety testing in the US, and we can't permit testing in the US

Tobacco Control same situation. The ACS, AHA, ALA, ANSR, made it CLEAR that they will not accept any data sponsored by ANY e-cigarette manufacturer citing the "conspiracy of big tobacco". And I have to concede, they do have a point. But at the same time, they refuse to step up to the plate and sponsor epidemiological studies, clinical trials, or even labs.

So we need a researcher to step up to the plate. First step is actually establishing the nicotine delivery of e-cigarettes. Jean-Francis Etter is covering this to a degree, but like yourself doesn't quite understand the role watts plays in vapor production. But there might be enough in the way of information from his cotinine tests to establish a relationship. Problem is there is no assurance someone using Type A e-cigarette is using Type A atomizer. I happen to be using a SmokTech manufactured unit, with SmokTech cartomizers, but I could just as easily be using Joytech with Boge.

Next would be epidemiological studies. We have one from 1996, but this was pure nicotine, not nicotine suspended in a glycol solution. Which is rather why I'm obsessed with watts. You have mg/ml but watts determines ml/sec. I'll have to dig up current data, but I believe there are three currently, LPD Laboratory Services of Blackburn MicroTech Solutions LTD, Bontek Compliance Laboratory Shenzen, China, and Health New Zealand LTD sponsored by Ruyan.

Next would be clinical trials. There are two barriers to that, researchers stepping up to the plate, and the FDA themselves guided by the current administration. As it stands, NRPs are not deployed for long term use, which renders them no better than snake oil. "Some" doctors understand this like Richard Hurt of the Mayo clinic, who outright suggests using them "as long as it takes". To date, as far as I'm aware, this has been limited to Health New Zealand LTD sponsored by Ruyan, Boston University of Public Health, and University of Catania.

At the very least it is the difference between marketing something on the level of snake-oil and marketing something that has been demonstrated to do something useful without harming people.

This would NRPs and cessation medication like Chantix.

NRPs like the patch are only roughly 10% effective in 12 week programs, falling to 4.3% and lower after 24 weeks. 8-11 cessation attempts are required, where 14% of the population continues to smoke until death. They are more effective outside of 12 week programs, and the FDA is researching approving them as such. NRPs and counseling are a good deal more effective.

I don't have accurate figures on Chantix, however what it is, 72% increased risk of heart attack, 35,000 adverse reactions, 10,000 serious or even fatal? 5 million users and how many murder and suicides?

E-cigarettes have been on the market an equal period of time. To justify their place on the market place, they only need to be between 75-80% less harmful than cigarettes. That is in simple terms, .20%-.25% of their user base of 2.5 million dropping dead every year, vs. cigarettes 1% based on CDC figures. This would be worst case scenario, total adoption by 100% of the population, representing equal harm. The current estimates are in excess of 99%, where even the FDA conceded in court that there is no evidence they harmed anyone, as opposed to Chantix.

But instead of sponsoring further research, the FDA is backing the flaming cessation device. $2.5 million dollars to study the role low nicotine cigarettes play in cessation.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Matt, a typo?:

This would [eliminate?] NRPs and cessation medication like Chantix.

Chantix: there two clinical trials now (or more?) that indicate it has a 1 in 28 and a 1 in 30 chance, respectively, of causing a 'cardiac event' - i.e. one patient in thirty or less will suffer a heart attack. That would, reportedly, infer that last year Chantix caused 62,500 heart attacks in the US.

It is also, reportedly, the most dangerous current prescription medicine. Presumably also one of the most profitable. (Please don't ask for links, there are just too many...)

Chantix is clearly many thousands of times more dangerous than e-cigarettes, since in the same timescale they have not caused a single death, in contrast to the hundreds (or thousands?) reportedly attributable to Chantix. There is also the matter of the many thousands of lives ruined by Chantix, in one way or another. If one-thousandth of that damage had been caused by e-cigarettes, it seems likely that the fallout would have been astronomic in scale.

jfjardine02

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Hershey
Matt and Rolygate....when your talking about the effects of approved meds for smoking cessation that IS something I know about, (unlike watts and ohms), and I am afraid you are both way off the mark in your description of these. Rolygate there are now about a dozen or more randomized clinical trials of varenicline (Chantix). These trials consistently show that varenicline more than doubles long term quit rates (both on and off meds). These trials do NOT provide evidence that varenicline causes serious advers events (MIs or depresion/suicide etc)...though it clearly does cause minor side effects (e.g nausea). Your summary stats appear to be taken from the Singh review paper, which when dissected has been shown to be badly flawed, even at the stage of basic arithmetic (but also in various other ways). With regards to quit rates, a reasonable summary can be found in table 6.26 on the PHS Guideline: Evidence and Recommendations - Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update - NCBI Bookshelf
It is a lot better than the numbers i see people on this forum providing.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Last edited:
Matt and Rolygate....when your talking about the effects of approved meds for smoking cessation that IS something I know about, (unlike watts and ohms)

Don't bother learning about ohms and volts, as those are simply the other variables used to calculate wattage. Keep it simple and just look at wattage. Like a lightbulb, more watts=more power, and more power means more liquid is heated into vapor. Some investigation needs to be done to determine exactly how many wattseconds are needed to vaporize a gram of propylene glycol, but with the help of a regulated wattage device (such as the "Darwin" or upcoming devices "Kicked" by Evolv, LLC) this should be a fairly straightforward calculation. If, for example, we presume that 1000W Fog Machine uses 1L of liquid per hour of continuous operation, that translates into 1/3600 of a milliliter vaporized per watt per second, so we could predict that a 5W e-cig would take 720 seconds (or 144x5 second "puffs") to use a full milliliter of e-liquid. Note that these are not actual measured results, but are roughly consistent with most vapers' experience. The "inconsistent amounts of nicotine" reported by Etter can thus be explained by the fact that the devices tested did not use power regulation, and the nature of rechargeable batteries is that the power output decreases over time, which is why most vapers prefer larger batteries that do not lose power as quickly.

Regarding the "approved" medications, please remember that the so-called "clinical" trials for Varenicline specifically excluded participants with any history of mental illness, which is particularly uninformative when you consider that people with mental disorders like depression are more likely to self-medicate with nicotine and are the smokers most likely to have difficulty quitting. As you may be aware, GSK in collusion with the FDA has recently been found to have been (intentionally?) underreporting the adverse effects of Chantix use as many of the reports of attempted and completed suicides and violence towards others were listed as "expected side effects". :blink:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
@jf
Well... This is an entirely new area to discuss. There seems to be a large volume of information that suggests Chantix is not safe but it certainly isn't my field. The huge number of links detailing the deaths and psychosis attributed to Chantix, and two trials showing a high risk of cardiac issues, would seem to indicate there is something there to discuss. But it's not my game, I admit.

It would be useful to see the 20-month success rate for Chantix as I haven't been able to locate that anywhere. A 6 or 12-month figure is interesting but that's all it is - it's not a successful smoking cessation result, since if the subject returns to smoking at 20 or 24 months it's a fail. As regards the rather laughable assertions in the literature that Chantix does not cause a worsening of depression, or cannot cause depression or the even onset of psychosis in those who have never experienced it before - then I suggest that there would be many members of this forum who would strongly dispute such assertions.

I have to say that there appears, on the surface, to be a huge disparity between the information used by the profession to decide on therapies, and the information visible to those with a slightly less trusting approach to the matter. It is fairly obvious to anyone who reads the personal accounts here, that (a) NRTs don't work very well, and (b) Chantix is best avoided; unless they are all mistaken.

Since the actual success rate of pharmaceutical smoking cessation therapy seems so poor at population level (leaving aside all the clinical trials that show they don't work), and since there seem to be a fair number of professors of medicine such as Rodu, Siegel and so on who also seem to be saying the same thing, I think it is reasonable for a layman to assume that all is not well.

I would be amazed if my personal opinion that a member of my family should not bother with pharma therapies to quit smoking as there would be a less than 10% chance of success should be proved wrong. There is just too much evidence of that right here. And I wouldn't advise Chantix in a million years - how could I live with the possible results from that?

I'm left with the feeling that some medics must wear rose-tinted glasses. There doesn't seem to be any other explanation. Even the many independent clinical trials that show nicotine skin patches have a 2% success rate or worse don't seem to register. But my faith in medics in this area may be a little jaded - perhaps the locals could be asked for their opinion, it might clarify matters. However, there may be an unusual cluster of folks here who for some unexplained reason suffered nasty effects from Chantix and for whom NRTs strangely don't work.

Last edited:

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
(unlike watts and ohms)

Watts is a measure of work done per second. A 60 watt bulb does less work per second than a 100 watt bulb. Presuming equal efficiency, the 100watt will produce more light than a 60.

1 18650 battery provides 8.14Watt/hrs.
It'll operate a 4 watt atomizer 2.035 hrs (1627.2 4.5 second drags),
or an 8 watt atomizer 1.017hrs (813.6 4.5 second drags).

6831 of these (55kWh) will move one Testla Roadster about 245 miles at 60mph.
Or one Testla Hooka mod will cover ~13,900 vapers for 400 8watt drags, though I'd have to calculate for power loss.

These trials do NOT provide evidence that varenicline causes serious advers events (MIs or depresion/suicide etc)...though it clearly does cause minor side effects (e.g nausea).

I'll be sure to tell my brother there's no evidence that's he went 12 shades of loony since he took Chantix, or is he at risk of losing his job.

I'll freely admit I don't have accurate numbers on hand, it as after all been one year since I considered Chantix.

Suicidal Behavior and Depression in Smoking Cessation Treatments - Nov2011 said:
Overall we identified 3,249 reported cases of suicidal/self-injurious behavior or depression, 2,925 (90%) for varenicline, 229 (7%) for bupropion, and 95 (3%) for nicotine replacement. Compared to nicotine replacement, the disproportionality results (OR (95% CI)) were varenicline 8.4 (6.8–10.4), and bupropion 2.9 (2.3–3.7). The disproportionality persisted after excluding reports indicating concomitant therapy with any of 58 drugs with suicidal behavior warnings or precautions in the prescribing information. An additional antibiotic comparison group showed that adverse event reports of suicidal/self-injurious behavior or depression were otherwise rare in a healthy population receiving short-term drug treatment.
--PLoS Medicine

What's understated is Chantix hasn't been on the market as long as Zyban. Wow!

This is a VERY reason why e-cigarettes should be studied by those OUTSIDE the industry.

Your summary stats appear to be taken from the Singh review paper, which when dissected has been shown to be badly flawed, even at the stage of basic arithmetic (but also in various other ways)

Where here it is.

I'm curious where these math errors are. If they exist, then the meta analysis should be redone.

"The risk for serious cardiovascular events is low and is greatly outweighed by the benefits of diminishing the truly 'heartbreaking' effects of smoking."--J. Taylor Hays

I'm also curious to the risk of long term use of NRPs, or Snus, vs the risk of heart attack on Chantix. What would be lower.

But the point remains, Chantix has done a good deal of harm while being on the market for 4 years. Given 200 suicides, I can only imagine the horror other users experience. When asked by Judge Leon to provide evidence of a single person that was a harmed, the FDA could not. So product one with more clinical trials and a measurable objective short term health impact, vs product two, equal time on the market place, only 3 small trials, no objective harm noted, i.e. doesn't kill people or make them murder others.

But still, more epidemiological and clinical trials are indicated, but the E-cig industry did their job, and Tobacco Control pulled out their appeal to conspiracy, and they're not wholly wrong. More research needs to be done, but this needs to be independent.

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
Some investigation needs to be done to determine exactly how many wattseconds are needed to vaporize a gram of propylene glycol

Thad.... 1 W = 1Ws = 1J

but with the help of a regulated wattage device

Actually what you want is just a regulated power supply. You've got one in your PC, 5V and 3.3V, where I know for a fact there are USB units that will regulate 3.7 from 5V, where you can pull directly off your drive power supply.

jfjardine02

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Hershey
There is plenty of good data on varenicline. But I suggest this one for starters:
Varenicline and suicidal behaviour: a cohort study based... [BMJ. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
If you are going to quote 200 suicides you then have to divide it by the number of users, and the baseline suicide rate among smokers. But check out this paper...based on a large sample (80,000), includes people with mental health problems, andy compares with the right comparison groups...other people trying to quit smoking.

jfjardine02

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Hershey
Rolygate...when you spend a lot of time on an e-cig forum....by definition populated largely by people who didnt quit smoking using other treatments, it is not surprising that you form a negative view. The best way to assess these meds is to recruit a bunch of people who want to quit smoking, randomize them to the treatment you are interested in and some comparison treatment (or no treatment) and then follow them up later to see what happened. The evidence from hundreds of such studies is crystal clear for NRT etc. Meanwhile there isnt a single such trial for e-cigs....I believe thats where we started. So e-cig enthusiast may do well to hold their overblown criticism of the (admitedly) low success rates with other methods until we have some actual data from studies using similar rigorous methods with e-cigs. Otherwise its like an armchair football fan watching a professional match on TV and shouting "thats crap, i could do much better than that". Make my day...show us your data. Its actually a bit ironic, given that e-cigs basically are NRT, and that it would not be the least bit surprising if in a few years they are owned by pharma and/or tobacco. I really hope they work better than what has gone before, and that someone is able to show it in a proper study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread