e-cigs in the workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

el lobo furtivo

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2009
Akron, OH
My company has a policy that explicitly prohibits the use of e-cigs anywhere in the building or on company property, on the clock or off, including in our cars.

Quote:

(Company name here) desires to support the public health and safety of its employees, contractors, visitors, and customers. In order to promote and provide a healthy and safe work environment, (Company name here) prohibits the use of tobacco products and simulated smoking products (e.g., e-cigarettes)

I can debate the ignorance of this policy all day. Or the legality of dictating what an employee is and is not allowed to do while not being paid. I'm currently waiting on my ecig order (I've been out of this for a few years) and I'll decided whether or not I want to go to war over this.

Last edited:

Reaperman

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2012
New Orleans, LA
I don't want a policy, because it probably won't go the way I want, and as long as there's no policy, I can continue what I'm doing and act innocent if caught. :)

That's my thought. There's no official policy where I work, but a couple other locations have adopted the 'vapers have to go to the smoke deck' rule. I mostly just head down there to vape anyway. I kind of like getting away from the desk, though the smell has started to get to me a little. Sometimes I forget my personal rule and take a drag or two while outside walking to the car (it's an automatic reaction). Still, I figure if I don't push my luck too hard, there won't be a need for a forced limitations.

Smokers occasionally wonder why I'm outside with them, and tell me that I can vape inside, but just because they haven't made a rule about it yet, doesn't really make it 'okay.' If somebody created a need to consider the matter, I'm pretty sure I'd be limited to the smoke deck.

Last edited:

Tanks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2012
Northern VA
Today my company will have a meeting to discuss the use of e-cigs in the workplace. We currently have a smoking policy which bans smoking anywhere except for designated areas outside. Wondering if anyone has had their workplace make a policy for e-cigs and what that policy was?

I don't think my company knows about e-cigs. I vape in my office because I was going to get fired if I took another smoke break. That is the reason I started vaping in the first place (so I don't get fired). Now I don't even smoke analogs. ME - 1 BOSS - 0

jb500

Jul 25, 2012
Henderson, nv
We have about 100 employees and there are probably only a handful who vape. Many more smoke. I was hoping this subject would not ever come up because I do vape in my office. I have an office all to myself so I do not effect others. I'm sure at the very least the company is going to ban e-cigs indoors. I think our main discussion is going to be whether or not we need to go to the designated smoking areas.

Crazyinariz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
Tempe, AZ
I'm a staff supervisor for a company that does event security (concerts, sporting events, festivals, etc...) and while I can't vape in the office (office mgr's policy) at events I vape openly and proudly where it's allowed. My favorite concert venue, Mesa amphitheater has no problem w/my vaping while University of Phoenix Stadium makes me vape outside in the smoking section.

Ace7111

Nov 12, 2012
Colorado
I work at Walmart and there is no policy on e-cigs or vaping that I know of. How ever they are big on quiting anolog's and have posters and help lines ect.ect. all over the break room, personal office and it comes up in some meetings at times. They are on board with the gum , patches, and have a whole section devoted to those products. Now don't get me wrong these methods have worked for alot of people, just not me [ I've tried them all] . They do sell an e-cig which I did start with but they can not keep the carts. in stock. That however is another story. Back to the point. One of the largest companies in the world has no policy e-cig so I am placed in with all the anolog people. So I will park my car at least 50 ft from the building and enjoy what ever juice I want to vape that night but if someone should asks me what I am doing I will tell them do you have about ten min.or so I can change your life.!!!

When I had a normal job I would do it in my office, never on the floor though in front of employees which I was afraid would let them think it was ok. Then next thing you know it would be an issue. I'm of the mindset; "out of sight , out of mind". If there are no rules in place somewhere you think someone might try and govern it, don't flaunt it or someone may make a stir about it.

Cherinny

Sep 10, 2012
New York, USA
The put the e-cigarette in the same category as smoking. Policy pretty much states that the electronic cigarette is considered as a tobacco product. Too big of a company to say anything about it. They do want people to quit smoking and you can get patches. Well I broke out using a patch. So there are many people I work with that use an e-cig. We really don't talk about it. 3 months 1 week 5 days.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I work as a lead for a major U.S. retail chain...one day last week I went into the break room to grab a soda before I went outside to vape. When I walked in I noticed the store manager sitting at a table with an associate who smokes blucigs. I was like 'wow we can smoke our ecigs in the break room' & he said sure go ahead. Sure beats standing outside in the cold with all the analog smokers!!

I'm sure this wouldn't happen at most locations but I'm pretty happy I work at the one I do.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I'm not sure I like the tone of that.

If you would rather quibble over tone vs support CASAA, that's your prergative. If every person who is part of ECF would join CASAA and donate only a dollar a month to CASAA, they would be in a 1000% better position to advocate for those who vape. Or at no cost, we can just complain on ECF. But the many antis trying to have vaping banned nationwide, don't seemed too concerned about what is posted on ECF.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I work as a lead for a major U.S. retail chain...one day last week I went into the break room to grab a soda before I went outside to vape. When I walked in I noticed the store manager sitting at a table with an associate who smokes blucigs. I was like 'wow we can smoke our ecigs in the break room' & he said sure go ahead. Sure beats standing outside in the cold with all the analog smokers!!

I'm sure this wouldn't happen at most locations but I'm pretty happy I work at the one I do.

Thats good to hear. Thanks for sharing. Except that your co-worker uses Blu, poor guy (or gal). And FYI, it's "vapes" a Blu not "smokes" a Blu. Using smoking terms to describe vaping doesn't help make a clear delination between our old bad habit and what we do now.

Clsander21

Dec 16, 2012
Denver colorado
So I work for dish network and I feel like it would be wonderful if i could just sit at my desk and vape away but unfortunatly I am not aloud to. I still have to go outside :glare: but it just makes my breaks so much more better cause i dont smell bad when i come back from my break, there isnt a whole lot of people that i see vaping but i have converted someone and it absolutelt feels awesome, Especially because we can try each others flavors out. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread