e-cigs in the workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.R. Bob Dobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
near buffalo, NY
Not any rules they wish, they must adhere to local, state and federal law. Yes, it is private property but its located in a city, county state etc...

But i may be late in posting this but yes. Educate your bosses, and show them you know what your talking about then you suddenly become the go to person for e cig info for the company. Good for us and makes you look good at work!

Just remember that your work place is someone elses property, and they have the right to make (and enforce) any rules that they wish. Just like you have the right to not work there if you wish.

oh and i vape like a chimney in walmart, not one word has ever been said to me.(though i dont work there)

Last edited:

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
I stealth vape at work. I have my own office so that helps. My door is always open, though, so I still am quite stealthy about it - wouldn't want anyone to walk by or pop-in and see a huge cloud of vapor. I also stealth vape in the mens room if nobody else is in there . .and occassionally while walking down an empty hallway or in the stairwell or something.

My company has no policy about e cigs - except it kind of has an unspoken policy against pretty much everything (ie -we have to wear ties, can't use ms messenger, can't visit news or shopping sites, etc) so I make sure nobody notices.

Doglips

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2012
Cocoa Fl
My current boss is a smoker, and does not care if we smoke or vape in the vans...I fix ac units so don’t really work in one place..so have to adhere to customers rules. 1 place does not allow smoking or e-smokes use on there property..so I cant use my smoke there....but for some reason I do need to make a lot of runs to the supply house to get parts when I work on there stuff.

babodtf

Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
California
I work at an accounting firm and we are given the standard 15 minute coffee/smoke break every 2 hours.

Obviously, we are not allowed to smoke analogs inside.

However, we are not allowed to smoke electronics inside the office either. I think the boss feels that it would damage the company's image as many of our clients are older and unfamiliar with electronic cigarettes.

samazon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2012
MS
When my employers found out I had quit they were very happy - however when I told them I was vaping they basically acted as if I hadn't
"really" quit. I believe my boss' words were something like, "Oh, but you're still getting your nic fix," which ... if I were on the patch or chewing gum, I would be too, right?

Anyway, I keep my eGo twist + mini vivi nova sitting on my desk between my monitors. It's in a discreet location, but not hidden, and I vape when I'm the only one in my part of the office (which is pretty frequently). Nothing has been said to me about it, and I will continue to vape in my office (but not in front of clients or my bosses) until someone does say something.

For the record, I work for a small family-owned and run company - of the five people in my office, three are the family who own it, and me and one other employee (who works outside the office all day) are unrelated to the owners. I've been there for over a year and they value my work. If it were a different type of job situation (a busy office, a cubicle, a corporation, etc) I'm sure there would be different "rules".

MarleysChains

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2013
Maryland
I typically go outside to vape, although I do from time to time stealth when Im too busy to go outside. I work for a pretty big company and they are all about helping employees quit smoking through traditional NRT, but I know that there would be big issues if I openly vaped at my desk. I'm the only person in the office who vapes, and some of my coworkers and more than a few supervisors would complain if they saw what they think is smoke coming from my desk. Its really not an argument that I can win. I'm kind of ok with it because going outside forces me to step away from my desk and my PV has been a great conversation piece

1BRC

Jan 5, 2013
Ohio
In response to the OP (edit: the second post), I would be gone instantly if they made a policy like the one in the red text. I also reserve the right to come in late, be hung over once in a while, blow off other employees (and partners) when they're getting in the way of my work or just being annoying, spend the company's money on projects I think are interesting, create new projects as I see fit, and drag employees into them without asking anyone. I may also hit the vape in the building when nobody's looking, or sneak out for a (very short) unscheduled break.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm probably one of the world's worst employees, but the vape part is the least of it :)

However, about 18% of the company's revenue for 2012 (maybe 30 times my salary) was from one product I designed last winter, and that's just one of the things I worked on during the year. Other stuff I've designed has gotten similar results.. so it definitely goes both ways.

I still don't let too many people see me do it though. The people who own the place are one thing, but employees and customers are something else entirely. I don't want to cause problems with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread